Tire Changing... Should I?

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
I watched the video below and it seems really easy to do but every rider I've talked to says DON'T DO IT! Cyclegear wants $30 bucks per wheel so I might as well just take it to my mechanic. The only real problems I see are balancing (not sure about those beads) and I've never taken the front wheel off. Also trying to adjust the chain will be a royal pain! What do you think? I"m sure a lot of your are doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can remove both wheels from the bike in less than 20 minutes with a little practice. Just be sure and wrap your calipers in tube socks after you remove them as this keeps from scratching up your wheels. It takes a little longer to re-install because you do have to readjust the chain tension, but thats not really a big deal. I dont change my own tires, but I will soon start with the next set I put on the busa. The last set of wheels I took to my dealer charged me 50.00 per wheels to change and our local Cycle Gear wont change them unless you purchased the tires from them. I will soon be independent of any shop for tires.

Removing/installing wheels and adjusting the chain are quick and simple jobs.
Balancing tires is also very easy. My friend has a Redline static balancer and he buys bags of stick on weights.
Weights come in plain aluminum or black and are $7 for a big back of various weight.
After many tires on several bikes, never a vibration or problem at any speed.
Changing the tires themselves is personally more than I care to fool with anymore.
It also can be easy to damage a rotor trying to force a stubborn tire.
Another friend machine mounts tires for me for free.
Most auto tire machines will also change motorcycle tires as well; where as most auto balancers won't do motorcycle tires(but some will).
A local auto shop here will mount motorcycle tires for $10 a piece.
If you can find a competent auto shop with a fair price, and buy a static balancer, that's the cheapest and easiest way to do tires.
For the guys that change their own bike tires, been there, done that, no thanks, more power to you.:beerchug:

Uncle Steve and I can change a set of tires in about 45 minutes, we have it down to an art...

Removing/installing wheels and adjusting the chain are quick and simple jobs.
Balancing tires is also very easy. My friend has a Redline static balancer and he buys bags of stick on weights.
Weights come in plain aluminum or black and are $7 for a big back of various weight.
After many tires on several bikes, never a vibration or problem at any speed.
Changing the tires themselves is personally more than I care to fool with anymore.
It also can be easy to damage a rotor trying to force a stubborn tire.
Another friend machine mounts tires for me for free.
Most auto tire machines will also change motorcycle tires as well; where as most auto balancers won't do motorcycle tires(but some will).
A local auto shop here will mount motorcycle tires for $10 a piece.
If you can find a competent auto shop with a fair price, and buy a static balancer, that's the cheapest and easiest way to do tires.
For the guys that change their own bike tires, been there, done that, no thanks, more power to you.:beerchug:

Yeah they didn't recommend doing it for pretty much the same reasons you state. Saving X amount of dollars is attractive to me but I just can't make up my mind. I'd hate to buy a balancer and then realize it's more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah they didn't recommend doing it for pretty much the same reasons you state. Saving X amount of dollars is attractive to me but I just can't make up my mind. I'd hate to buy a balancer and then realize it's more trouble than it's worth.

The balancer is super easy and one bag of weights will likely outlast the bike.
If you can remove your wheels and have someone machine mount your tires, it's by far the cheapest way to go.

Back