Tire changing equipment?

mynewride

Registered
hello guys and gals. I am ready for another set of q2's to be mounted. I do not want to pay 40 per tire again. I have looked and can only find information on the harbor freight setup that no longer exists. does anybody know of another setup that works well and is cost effective? Thanks

There is no good, cost effective machines out there. I have been looking into a tire machine as well and a decent manual machine starts around $500 and an electric/air machine starts at $1000. Then you will need a means of balancing. The most cost effective tire mounting system you can have if you install new rubber annually is your local dealer who will usually mount them for $25 or less for each tire if you remove the wheel from the bike.

Let us know what you come up with. I too am up for suggestions.

I built my own tire changer and bought a bar from a local guy who builds one similar to the no-mar bar. I have less than $100 in everything. I'm mounting tires on my SV this weekend and I though about shooting it with my gopro then putting it up on youtube. Everything was either bought from Lowes or picked up at the local scarp yard. I can take some pics if you are interested.

I built my own tire changer and bought a bar from a local guy who builds one similar to the no-mar bar. I have less than $100 in everything. I'm mounting tires on my SV this weekend and I though about shooting it with my gopro then putting it up on youtube. Everything was either bought from Lowes or picked up at the local scarp yard. I can take some pics if you are interested.

I'd like to see...

I did a cost study of how many tires I had to change before my changer paid for itself (regardless of the convenience, etc.); Because I'm doing all these trackdays, it looked like it would take a year or two to get my money back. If I were only changing tires 2X a year, unless I could come up with a homemade solution it would NOT be worth it.

Sorry Harbor Freight no longer has the tire changer. I paid just a little over $100 bucks TMD. I have saved 4 X that cost and changed a half dozen tires for friends.

Best I have found is the cycle hill tire changer. Its 455 shipped and includes everything but a balancer. Its made by nomar in the USA...Tennessee I believe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Here is a link of the web bike review of the tire changer. Looks like it works really well in the video. For an extra 200 you get some spoons, bars and a balancer with weights.

There is no good, cost effective machines out there. I have been looking into a tire machine as well and a decent manual machine starts around $500 and an electric/air machine starts at $1000. Then you will need a means of balancing. The most cost effective tire mounting system you can have if you install new rubber annually is your local dealer who will usually mount them for $25 or less for each tire if you remove the wheel from the bike.

All of my local shops want 40 unless I buy the tire from them at an incredibly inflated price. Like say 225 for a rear q2. Plus the last shop scratched my rim.

I'd like to see...

I did a cost study of how many tires I had to change before my changer paid for itself (regardless of the convenience, etc.); Because I'm doing all these trackdays, it looked like it would take a year or two to get my money back. If I were only changing tires 2X a year, unless I could come up with a homemade solution it would NOT be worth it.

In a normal year I probably change 4 or 5 sets of tires... When I was hitting the track days hard we were changing them every month back and forth... X 2 bikes..

Here you go, first pic of the dave bar I bought local.

001.jpg
beadbreaker I made
002.JPG
tirechanger itself
003.JPG
junk rim mounted for you
004.JPG

001.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

local dealer around here is 100 labor if you bring in your tire to be mounted,

hello guys and gals. I am ready for another set of q2's to be mounted. I do not want to pay 40 per tire again. I have looked and can only find information on the harbor freight setup that no longer exists. does anybody know of another setup that works well and is cost effective? Thanks

I can fix your problem. Move within 30 minutes of me........and I'll mount and balance for $10 each.:poke: I purchased on older air powered Accuturn tire mounting machine for $500. I took 50 tire changes to pay for itself,.........but with local advertising,......it paid for itself in a short time.

Best I have found is the cycle hill tire changer. Its 455 shipped and includes everything but a balancer. Its made by nomar in the USA...Tennessee I believe.

NoMar is Headquartered and made in a Suburb just East of St. Louis. I picked mine up and saved shipping charges...

I stand corrected. So do you like your unit. Which model do you have. What balancer do you use.

I have the Jr. Pro and their tire changer. I bolted mine to a pallet so I could move it around. I guess I've changed maybe 20 tires with it so far. I frequently refer back to the video for tips, as it's all in the technique...

Back