Tire changing equipment?

I can't afford a jr pro. How do you get all the way around the tire when taking off the tire with that vertical bar in the back?

I can't afford a jr pro. How do you get all the way around the tire when taking off the tire with that vertical bar in the back?

If you are talking about the threaded rods in back they sit lower than the tire once screwed all the way in. I welded in nuts around the inside of the rim to adjust to different rims. I just pick 2 that match the spoke size to keep the rim from spinning as I take the tire off and reinstall the new one. The threaded rod in the center keeps it from lifting, I don't put very much pressure on the nut because of the bearings. If you look at the last pic with the rim mounted, you can see what I'm talking about. I had someone give me the old steel rim and I bought the rest. Between the bar, wheel and metal, I have a little over $100 in it. The wheel and scrap metal can be had at any scrap yard for pennies on the pound.

I use a Cycle Hill with a MoJo Lever and a Marc Parnes Balancer.

The MoJo Lever makes the job ridiculously simple and even allows me to easily change the rear tire of my GL1800. If I choose to balance the tires, I prefer the Marc Parnes which is a much better unit than the Nomar/Cycle Hill unit that I originally had.

I decided to start changing my own when I wanted to replace the valve stems on my FJR1300 and CBR1100XX with 90° Machined aluminum valve stems and realized that it was going to cost $45 per tire or a total of $180 and since the tires weren't due to be replaced, that would cost me another $180 within the next several months. Once I thought about spending $360 within one year, the decision to start changing my own was pretty simple.

Back