Tire buying.

I am going to be shopping for a new rear in the next couple of months as well and I was looking at the Q3's. I still have lots left in my Avon Storm up front...anybody have any experience mixing and matching this pair?

My tires arrived today.
This is how they were packaged (delivered). No obvious damage that I found so far.

Q3arrived_zps2a582e1d.jpg

This is the date code. So I assume that they were made on January 5 of 2014 or about 3 months ago, right?

Q3Datecode_zpsacfdbfdb.jpg

Probably no big deal - but have any of you seen tires with a big grey patch on the inside? Like below? Any idea what caused that?
Q3insiderear_zpsb7a99044.jpg

Just curious, I also assume that I should remove the stickers on the inside of the tires, right?
Q3Fronttirestickers_zpscb379d8f.jpg

This is the first time that I have bought tires online and installed them on my Busa.
I have done dirt bike tires before but this is the 1st time on a real motorcycle. :laugh:

Any tips on mounting Q3's? or are they like all the rest of sportbike tires? Nothing special?

It is nice that at least ONE thing on my bike will be made in the USA :thumbsup:

So no comments on my purchase questions?

I wanted to know the following:

Does everyone else receive their tires like I did? Just curious as some said they receive them in a bag ???

Has anyone else seen the grey patch like what was in the rear tire and did anyone know what might have caused that?

I know it's probably a stupid question but I assume that I would remove all the stickers inside and out, before mounting them.
Can anyone confirm this or am I just be super fussy?

Thanks Twobrothersbusa for setting me straight on the date code. I should have noticed that there was only room for a two digit #
in front of the year so it would have the be the week # and not the day # of manufacture. :oops:

Just trying to get educated - maybe someday I will be able to help some else out. :please:

See comments below.

So no comments on my purchase questions?

I wanted to know the following:

Does everyone else receive their tires like I did? Just curious as some said they receive them in a bag ??? How you get them depends on who you order them from. I've had some boxed to just strapped like yours.

Has anyone else seen the grey patch like what was in the rear tire and did anyone know what might have caused that? Just a manufacturing mark. No worries.

I know it's probably a stupid question but I assume that I would remove all the stickers inside and out, before mounting them.
Can anyone confirm this or am I just be super fussy? Just me, But I would remove them.

Thanks Twobrothersbusa for setting me straight on the date code. I should have noticed that there was only room for a two digit #
in front of the year so it would have the be the week # and not the day # of manufacture. :oops:

Just trying to get educated - maybe someday I will be able to help some else out. :please:

just be careful, I was charged 120 dollars for the installation!! sometimes is better to go and negotiate with the dealer about the price of the tires+instalaltion

I am going to be shopping for a new rear in the next couple of months as well and I was looking at the Q3's. I still have lots left in my Avon Storm up front...anybody have any experience mixing and matching this pair?

The Avon Storm is a sport touring tire, a harder compound than a regular sport tire.
Which equals less grip.
Your thread about 1/2 mile LSR and stopping distance needs to be considered!
You will have much better grip with good sport tires(Q2's, Q3's), and thus stop sooner with better control.
The front tire has the majority of the braking ability, as well as the majority of control of the bike.
I would also question the LSR guys here as to what psi works the best for the 1/2 mile run. Also cold or hot psi, as the psi goes up 2 to 3 lbs or more as the tires heat up, and with LSR, I would *assume* aside from tire warmers, you really have no way or no time to heat your tires.

I just received my tires today and they were packaged the exact same way.

Yes that is the date code and as Twobrotherbusa said, it was made the 5th week of 2014

Don't worry about the grey it is just from the manufacturing process.

The stickers will not make any difference what so ever. They are inspection stickers and bar code for inventory purposes.

They will mount just like any other tire. I use plastic shields to protect my wheels from the tires spoons when dismounting and mounting. Warmer tires will flex and mount easier. Just make sure you lube the beads when dismounting and mounting so you do not tear the beads plus it makes them slide easier (if you do not have tire lube some liquid dish soap works good).

Also if you don't know how old your valve stems are I would replace them, no since in putting on new tires and having an old dried out valve stem that may leak.

Rocky Mountain definitely had the best price. Just ordered some Q3's for 233.98 shipped. :thumbsup:

Rocky Mountain definitely had the best price. Just ordered some Q3's for 233.98 shipped. :thumbsup:

Yup - That is a great deal. Will have to check them out next time.

Let us know if they are packaged just like mine were and if there is a grey patch on the inside of the rear tire.
Are you going to mount them yourself? Balance? Just curious...

Yup - That is a great deal. Will have to check them out next time.

Let us know if they are packaged just like mine were and if there is a grey patch on the inside of the rear tire.
Are you going to mount them yourself? Balance? Just curious...
Had quotes from local shops ranging from 375 to 405 installed.

Have a friend that works at Goodyear who will mount them for me. He can't balance them there so I'll just do without. Never had a problem with vibration. I'll take pics when they arrive. Should be here Monday.

Motorcycle Superstore $254.46 Bridgestone S-20's

I have great service from sportbiketrackgear.com

The tires come 2 to a box. Fast service. Competitive pricing. Treat Canadian customers very well.

Running Q3 right now. Can't say much about them as I installed in the late fall and have not ridden yet this spring. I did/do really like the Dunlop Q2s.

Back