Tire age.

Sorry for all the questions and posts as I’m new. I have a 2013 Hayabusa that was bought in 2014 but sat for most of the time and it still has the original tires. Should they be replaced? They feel a little dry but they were kept inside. No cracks or anything.

Sorry for all the questions and posts as I’m new. I have a 2013 Hayabusa that was bought in 2014 but sat for most of the time and it still has the original tires. Should they be replaced? They feel a little dry but they were kept inside. No cracks or anything.

I say as your life depends on those tires, "when in doubt, throw them out" and get a new set...those tires are almost 8 yrs old, I wouldn't trust them.

This bike is notoriously hard on tires and has a pile of torque so don't play with tire life and grip...

image.jpg

I say as your life depends on those tires, "when in doubt, throw them out" and get a new set...those tires are almost 8 yrs old, I wouldn't trust them.

This bike is notoriously hard on tires and has a pile of torque so don't play with tire life and grip...
This is from Bridgestone’s motorcycle tire manual

Tire Service Life
Make sure tires continue to be regularly inspected after 5 years of service to determine if they can continue in service. Regardless of the tire’s condition or tread depth, it is recommended that tires more than 10 years old be taken out of service and replaced with new tires. See “Tire Manufacture Date,” the next section in this manual.

I would try to use them until the rear is worn out. I wouldn't expect to do any hard cornering and probably avoid any wet riding conditions. If that last pic is your tire looks like it's exuding something. Use them and keep an eye on them. They might cold tear or something like that. I doubt you would go down but if you see a chunk of rubber gone, they're toast. How many years old are your car tires? I think I replaced mine once in twelve years. I guess if you can stand a few thousand miles of riding almost like a cruiser, you're probably ok.

Then again, those tires are probably going to be difficult to remove after this length of time. A couple more years is probably not going to help.

I would try to use them until the rear is worn out. I wouldn't expect to do any hard cornering and probably avoid any wet riding conditions. If that last pic is your tire looks like it's exuding something. Use them and keep an eye on them. They might cold tear or something like that. I doubt you would go down but if you see a chunk of rubber gone, they're toast. How many years old are your car tires? I think I replaced mine once in twelve years. I guess if you can stand a few thousand miles of riding almost like a cruiser, you're probably ok.

Then again, those tires are probably going to be difficult to remove after this length of time. A couple more years is probably not going to help.
I just made an appointment for Friday I’m going to get the Michelin Road 5’s.

I just made an appointment for Friday I’m going to get the Michelin Road 5’s.

Good plan, many here run PR5s and they work very well. @c10 has gone mach speeds on his with no worries

I recently switched over to them and they made a huge difference-they heat up good and stick very well.

Your life depends on good tires and you've made a good choice.

Yep and for just about a hundred more than a 2.

Good plan, many here run PR5s and they work very well. @c10 has gone mach speeds on his with no worries

I recently switched over to them and they made a huge difference-they heat up good and stick very well.

Your life depends on good tires and you've made a good choice.
Hey is a speedo healer worth it? I have stock gearing but when I’m going 85 I’m really going 80.

Do those last longer?

dear
it is not a question of the manufactorer / type of tire
but the age, the tire has, matters a lot!

if you ride a slow bike maybe 5 or 6 years may be ok if mostly stored cold and out off the sun
then they are not so "dangerous"
as
if, for instance, mounted at a busa with its big torque and max possible speed
for busas and similar / comparable motorcycles i personally strongly recommend to change tires latest after 3-4 years
and the more sun they get the earlier.
the so-called plasticizers escape (the more sun the quicker) from the rubber and the tire loses massive grip.

question answered? ;) hope so :)

so don´t gamble with your health or life - some 150 bucks are not expensive compared to the danger you would tolerate in using old tires.

have good ride with new tires. :super::thumbsup:

Hey is a speedo healer worth it? I have stock gearing but when I’m going 85 I’m really going 80.
I have a Speedohealer on my ZX-14 and it has worked great for 11 years. My only complaint is that the inline connectors seemed a bit loose. I taped them up from the start and never had a problem. I've been in a couple massive downpours and no electrical problems but I'd suggest being careful about spraying the bike with a hose if you do that. You don't want to get those wires wet.

You can calculate your speedo error on the HealTech site. That worked perfectly for me and I use a larger diameter tire and a +4 tooth rear sprocket on that bike. Checked with GPS and it was accurate at least up to 90 mph.

Back