Tire advice...

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Tire experts:

I just found what looks to be a piece of glass imbedded in my tire (only 1700 miles on it too, CRAP!). I don't want to plug it, so I'm looking at getting a new tire.

Should I go with stock again, or should I go for something a little bit more performance? I was thinking about the Rennsport (not the track tire), or even the Diablo.

Are there any problems mixing/matching the front/rear tires? I wouldn't think so, but I'm new to this whole performance tire thing.

For everyday riding and low to moderate twisty riding, it should be no problem. But if your scraping pegs and pushin it to the limit on the road or track, you'll want to match your tires. Mixing tires does affect handling, but its not noticeable unless your really doing some hard riding. You'll have to consider cost with how you plan to ride.

Also: Definately don't plug it, unless your just going to ride to work and back, no cornering type riding. Even easy cornering on a plugged tire can be dangerous, if you can find a shop that'll do it for you.

Depends on what you are amtching it to... Also as pointed out, it matters more for hard riding.

Ok here's a good spot to ask this question, what about putting an inner tube in the tire and rebalancing it? I had this done once and didn't have any problems.

BigO..innertube??? well it would be fine...if not speeding to much..I think to much heat would be a problem.....at high speed..might blow...= ugly..my 2 cents...Pace..
hey BigO heard the video you took turned out great..Jester is gonna send me a raw one...You Da man...can't wait to see it.

Buy different tires. Bt56's are crap.

Pilot sports rock
M1's
diablos

You can mix for oderate riding, I recomend changing them both.

The BT-56s are bad. I switched to Sportec M1 and the difference was dramatic. I'm thinking about the Dunlop 208ZR next.

Two summers ago a British magazine did a tire shootout. Two riders, identicle bikes, and they were not allowed to see the installed tires until after they ran the track with them. The two riders comments tracked each other pretty well even though they had completely different riding styles. The Rennsport non-race got the highest overall rating even over the Rennsport race version and other top tires - Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlops etc. Sportec's weren't tested but I would guess they would rank pretty high up.

The test was not about tire life so that did not weigh into the equation. They did rank 3 levels; Touring tires, Sport tires, and Race tires. For control and traction the sport and race were about the same. The only significant differences were how fast the tire heats up and how long the rubber lasts. Sport tires heat up faster and grip sooner. That is probably why the Rennsport Sportbike tire did better than the Race. The BT-56s were at the low end and some touring tires actually beat them.

My Question......can't you patch that sucker from the inside? Just found a drywall nail in mine...inquiring minds want to know....

Yes, you can, but you need to do it properly or get a professional to do it. You need to get a patch/plug. The patch part on the plug needs to have a soft contact area, too. The ones without it (like bicycle patches) are crap. You also need to sand the contact area on the tire (Dremel works here), BUT, you also can not take too much material. The inside is a high silicone content rubber, so if you just apply glue and slap the patch on without smoothing the inside surface, it will just fall right off.

IF (key word here) it is done correctly, you can ride the full tread life of the tire without a problem. My rear 207 now has almost 10K miles. I patch/plugged it from a nail that went in sideways at 8000. I does not leak. I have been about 160 on short bursts on it, too (I would not recommend 'sustained' high speeds, though).

Back