Tips/Tricks for this Fix Please (Pics)

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
Don't ask me how this happened ... maybe it's a common thing. No repairs were being performed in this area.
The fastener is sheared off, needs to be backed out, right? Same way I'd back out any broken fastener? Drill a tiny pilot hole and use a reverse bit?
Any thoughts hints approaches would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_2966.A.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

Ok, for those interested …
To orient, this is the gas filler cap set on top of a ‘14 fuel tank. I am assuming this is an OEM cap set.

Here’s a pic with the cap set removed. Notice a total of (5) holes: (3) are fitment, (1) venting. And the other?? That post (marked “P” in the pic) is ID’ed here as the locating pin (@Mr Brown ).
2969.Annoted.jpg

The fitment holes (F) are threaded. (V) is not threaded, nor is (?). The circled section matches up with one of the fasteners on the cap set.

A couple pics of the cap set itself:
IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

There are only (3) fasteners holding the cap set onto the tank. The other two (shorter) fasteners are cosmetic only. Although they do thread into the cap set ring, the cap set itself can be removed from the tank without loosening those two shorter, cosmetic fasteners.
2975.Annoted.jpg

@Mr Brown gets credit for pointing me in the right direction after I noticed the cap set was not fitted tightly onto the fuel tank. I thought one of the cosmetic screws had sheared off (at the locating pin (P)). Re-tightening the three (F) fitment screws solved the problem, but led to this exploration and this post.

Back