Tips on drag launch?

Zoinks!

Registered
I'm headed to the local 1/8 mile drag strip tonight with my cousin (he's got an '89 750) but I've never run the busa at the strip before. Any tips on the launch? It's a stock 06. Only thing it's got is yoshi slip ons and it's lowered 2" in the rear. Any tips would be much appreciated.

I am very green at this as well, but have been a few times.

I did no burn out, not really needed for my level, unless you want to.
Leave on the last yellow light..not the green
If you are stock length..be careful with the wheelies
Run about 18 to 20 pounds of air in the rear
Have fun:thumbsup:

I'm headed to the local 1/8 mile drag strip tonight with my cousin (he's got an '89 750) but I've never run the busa at the strip before. Any tips on the launch? It's a stock 06. Only thing it's got is yoshi slip ons and it's lowered 2" in the rear. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Which strip? Greer?

I am very green at this as well, but have been a few times.

I did no burn out, not really needed for my level, unless you want to.
Leave on the last yellow light..not the green
If you are stock length..be careful with the wheelies
Run about 18 to 20 pounds of air in the rear
Have fun:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips. The front wheel is my biggest concern. I really don't want it coming up. What RPM do you usually launch at? I'm not planning on burning the tire, cause they've only got a few hundred miles on em and I really don't want to take a bunch of rubber off.

Which strip? Greer?

No, ware shoals.

Thanks for the tips. The front wheel is my biggest concern. I really don't want it coming up. What RPM do you usually launch at? I'm not planning on burning the tire, cause they've only got a few hundred miles on em and I really don't want to take a bunch of rubber off.

No, ware shoals.

Watch your ride, that place is notorious for bike thefts!

around 3000 rpm and feather out the clutch as you roll on the rest of the throttle

I would say lower the air pressure, I would try to launch the first time around 3-4k. You'll want to get the tires sticky or roll on the throttle smoothly or you risk tire spin/wheelies :laugh:

Take the first pass easy, get to know the track and don't try to cut the perfect light...unless there's some bragging rights or $$ involved it really doesn't matter ;) In the 1/8th mile you aren't going to be flying on a stock busa, maybe 90-100mph (the 1/4 you'd be up around 150-160 by the end :) ) The other thing is unless you know the track well, I'd roll off the throttle when you see the finish line, DO NOT stay on it through the finish line the first pass. The reason is the shutdown area on some tracks is not exactly super long, you dont wanna go sliding off the end or worse :whistle:

And sounds like you'll wanna keep a close eye on your ride, there are MANY reports of bikes disappearing from tracks.... oh yeah enjoy! (and watch the betting, locals can have some ringers in there :laugh: )

Watch your ride, that place is notorious for bike thefts!

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

I would say lower the air pressure, I would try to launch the first time around 3-4k. You'll want to get the tires sticky or roll on the throttle smoothly or you risk tire spin/wheelies :laugh:

Take the first pass easy, get to know the track and don't try to cut the perfect light...unless there's some bragging rights or $$ involved it really doesn't matter ;) In the 1/8th mile you aren't going to be flying on a stock busa, maybe 90-100mph (the 1/4 you'd be up around 150-160 by the end :) ) The other thing is unless you know the track well, I'd roll off the throttle when you see the finish line, DO NOT stay on it through the finish line the first pass. The reason is the shutdown area on some tracks is not exactly super long, you dont wanna go sliding off the end or worse :whistle:

And sounds like you'll wanna keep a close eye on your ride, there are MANY reports of bikes disappearing from tracks.... oh yeah enjoy! (and watch the betting, locals can have some ringers in there :laugh: )

No braggin rights or cash involved. My cousin in just in town till tomorrow and wants to go tonight. I know there's enough shutdown space on the back end cause there are some turbo/nitrous busas with air shifters and the works that run out there. I've seen some run through the traps around 135 or so. I'm still not planning to go crazy or anything. I've really had the desire to run the busa, but my cousin really wants to run against me rather than someone else. Not cause he thinks he can win, but just so he doesn't have to listen to someone talk trash if he loses.

Take pics...

Heres one from one of my outings. Good 'Ol Redneck Racing:thumbsup:

IMG_0299.JPG

Learn to do a burn out. Rolling along on the streets to get to the track, riding in the staging lines, etc your tires are picking up all sorts of dirt and debris. Even a short 2 sec burn out will clean off the tire and reduce your wheel spin off the line.

Learn to do a burn out. Rolling along on the streets to get to the track, riding in the staging lines, etc your tires are picking up all sorts of dirt and debris. Even a short 2 sec burn out will clean off the tire and reduce your wheel spin off the line.

If I had a job and could afford new ones, I would. But right now I can't, so no burn outs for me. :laugh:

As for how things went. . . The first couple runs were horrible (7.10 and 7.13). The third run was even worse cause I tried shifting to 3rd, but it took too much time. The MPH went up, but the time went up, too, to 7.14. The fourth run was the best run of the night with a 6.76 @ 106 MPH. My first few launches were terrible, the rest weren't too bad, but could use some improvement. My biggest problem with the 1/8 mile is that with stock gearing I wind up running out of 2nd about 30 feet or so before the traps. So if I stay in 2nd I'm running through on the rev limiter, but if I shift I lose too much time. If I changed the gearing I'm sure I could get better than the 6.76, but I don't drag enough to make it worth it. Still, it was a fun night out. It was both my cousin's and my first time to the track with out bikes, and there were 3 other bikes there (all first timers, too) so it was a good time had by all. And no accidents!

I was going to run the GoPro, but when I was swapping out the door on the case, as I was closing the latch, it broke. . . I talked to GoPro and they're sending me a replacement under warranty, though, so no big deal. I just wish I had been able to take it.

good info guys as I will be hitting the tarck very shortly as a greeny. Just gotta get new tail and swingarm installed, and get her down where she needs to be. Cant sleep at night when thinking about it.

This is from our get together a couple years ago. I launched like grandma leaving a traffic light :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: The first part of the video was me in my racing debut. It was my best reaction time of the day, I think it was .050.....but if you notice I kind of stumbled out of the gate:whistle:

I did that a few times that day...realized later I had air in my clutch line for a while and made it tough to feather out the clutch. That came to light after a couple of dyno runs after the exhaust was installed.

I am glad to hear you had fun....bet you cant wait till the next time.:beerchug:

I was thinking of racing my busa....i never raced on a track before.. So everthing is new..how to u guys heat the tires up in a burn out? Will the bike burn out without the front brake on? Or do u not even use it...

Back