Timings seems to be off please help!!!

Zekeyzeke1

Registered
Just recently replaced the head on my bike camshafts, timing chain, and tensioner . When lining up my timing marks and rotating the engine my crankshaft timing mark is off I tried setting it one tooth behind and rotating it but that's just too much . Does anybody have any advice thanks
15208246162161541587518.jpg
15208247376751622704213.jpg

Last edited:
Cant get my crank to line up properly when starting motor sounds similar to having a dead battery buddy of mine said its compression issues dont know wat else to do

Cant get my crank to line up properly when starting motor sounds similar to having a dead battery buddy of mine said its compression issues dont know wat else to do

Is very important that you line up does mark. Check, adjust, check again... If not, you will vend a valve, etc. or blow your engine.

What I can see from your last picture is that the chain is lose (not under tension ) on top.

The chain was under tension that was a pic with the top chain guide pulled off. i have marks on the links i have the right amount of links in between i took it apart at least 6 times 2 different chains and 2 sets of cams later and im still having the same issues lining up the crankshaft

The chain was under tension that was a pic with the top chain guide pulled off. i have marks on the links i have the right amount of links in between i took it apart at least 6 times 2 different chains and 2 sets of cams later and im still having the same issues lining up the crankshaft
Zekeyzeke1 did you reset your tensioner? that chain has no tension. Did you torque your screws that hold your cams?

Thank you jose i swapped out tensioner with a spare and its cranking nice now but no spark smh
No problem... I saw that chain very lose that is why I ask you , I am glad that you found the first issue. Now What do you mean that is no spark? Have you check your coils, sparks, etc.?
Have you check Crank sensor ?Check the ground / negative connection to your battery. ECU etc

Cam timing I always check with a indicator and degree wheel EVEN with OEM sprockets....it takes minutes
and if not sure about COIL cranking voltage cut the F%^&%$ing lead to the coils jump a switched 12v to it and be SURE about the coil voltage

Are you certain you aligned the starter clutch marks to the crank?
When you had the starter clutch off (to fit the cam chain to the crank sprocket) , you may have misaligned it, causing the timing marks in the 'window' of the cover to be incorrect.
I hope this helps.

View attachment 1580018

View attachment 1580019

View attachment 1580020
that crank seems to be from earilier model my crank has a notch so it can only be installed the correct way. After tryin a few things and a new tilt sensor and battery all i got was a back fire timing seems to still be off

Back