timing chain removal

flyby

Registered
wtf?
ya gotta tilt the damn motor forward to put a timing chain in?
how else ya gonna get the bold out of the side of the head?
damn stupid engineering.

to get the ONE BOLT out of the right side of the head, i had to unbolt the radiator and let it hang forward; loosen the rear tire and slide it forward; remove the kickstand; remove all the motor mounts (which requires special tools to do it correctly), which i refused to buy; loosen the exhaust pipe; drop the motor a couple inches; remove the bolt and chain. Now i get to put the whole damn bike back togeather. Unbelievable.
Another thing i really loved doing was removing the cams to get the chain out.
Instead of removing just two bolts off the cam to remove the sprocket, you get to remove ten bolts off each cam and take the cams out. Very nice.
So if your thinking of replacing your timing chain on this bike, then plan on spending days instead of hours.:mad2:

well here's the lowdown.
im done with the project.
while i was at it i also installed a high volume oil pump gear.. I had already tried using a manual timing chain adjuster, but the chain still made noise, although not as much. I fired up the bike when done, and the thing was as quiet as new. I'm over it now, but it really got me when i spied that one bolt in the middle of the timing chain. I still don't even know what it is there for. Appears to do nothing except solidifie the block there in that big cavity. I've got a 2001 with 28k on it. It also seems to idle smoother. My chain was so loose it could have even jumped a tooth for all i know.
I posted a picture of how i got around the engine mounting bolt issue. Worked great.

well got the bike running. smooth and quiet. Ran it about 20 minutes in the garage to make sure there were no leaks and the cam chain was adjusted properly. So I took it for a ride, or at least that was my intention for the day. 2 miles from home the motor breaks. It is running on 1 cylinder. I heard something break and it just quit. I scratched my head as there was no warning and i hadn't even rev'd the motor yet, just cruising about 3k rpm. I tried starting it and it runs on 1 cylinder, so i limp home avoiding all the hills. Yes it will run on just one cylinder. It can even go 30 miles per hour. I took a compression test and two cylinders had zero, with 3 plugs all wet with fuel. Took the valve cover off and sure enough a broken exhaust cam in between the number 4 exhaust valves.
Only two possible reasons for this i can think of and that is either i did not tighten the cam holder bolts down properly, or the manual cam chain adjuster was too tight and loading the cams. I did it the way the instructions said to do it. This time i will do what i did when i put one in my bird, and that is to leave it a little loose and tighten it down till it gets quiet when i start it up.
so i wonder also if the valves hit the pistons and caused problems there.
anybody know if the valves will hit the pistons when the cam breaks?

picture of motor mount work around

busa mounts 002.jpg

Back