Timing Belt

piratediverjefff

Registered
Had to have mama's PT Cruiser towed to a garage yesterday,$1,200 to replace the timing belt(anybody with some extra Vaseline or KY please drop it by,for $1,200 you'd think it'd be included:laugh:).

When i Googled estimated costs i got between $650-$1,100 depending on geographic location...$1,200 seems about right since they stick it to us out here on most everything anyway.:laugh:

When i Googled estimated costs i got between $650-$1,100 depending on geographic location...$1,200 seems about right since they stick it to us out here on most everything anyway.:laugh:

Wow, enjoy that, hope ya find some gold doubloons at work soon, your gonna need it:thumbsup:

thats crazy prices.
I got an estimate today on struts and shocks for wifeys 03 trailblazer from the dealer. It is going to be there anyway next week since someone backed into it at the store. They wanted $955 to do the shocks and struts??? Ahhh...thats ok, I think I'll pass.:moon:

Had to have mama's PT Cruiser towed to a garage yesterday,$1,200 to replace the timing belt(anybody with some extra Vaseline or KY please drop it by,for $1,200 you'd think it'd be included:laugh:).

Not to defend the dealer,......but what's the break-down of the repairs?? The engines are non-interference,.....so the probability of valve damage is very low,......but always POSSIBLE!! If in fact,...the head was removed....that would account for $900-$1100 in labor costs plus parts. (depends on dealers hourly labor rate) If the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler, crank and cam seals were the only parts replaced,.........the price would probably be around $1000-$1100. I've never worked for a dealer,.......but I've been an automotive tech for 30 years. (we were called mechanics in the ol' days,..LOL!) I've managed an automotive business and/or been a tech. I've always taken my work very serious. Charge a fair price,....and give nothing but the best service possible. ANYWAY,.........please get back to us with more details. I'll let you know if they took your mom for a ride,..........or not!! :beerchug:

really? ouch same angine as a neon, i did a buddy's timing belt, 114 for parts a pack of smokes and a coke is all i got out of the deal. same buddy 3 weeks later i had to change the intake plenum (wich only got me a coke that time)... you think you got shafted... but what we do for our friends sometimes is more rewarding that money.

Not to defend the dealer,......but what's the break-down of the repairs?? The engines are non-interference,.....so the probability of valve damage is very low,......but always POSSIBLE!! If in fact,...the head was removed....that would account for $900-$1100 in labor costs plus parts. (depends on dealers hourly labor rate) If the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler, crank and cam seals were the only parts replaced,.........the price would probably be around $1000-$1100. I've never worked for a dealer,.......but I've been an automotive tech for 30 years. (we were called mechanics in the ol' days,..LOL!) I've managed an automotive business and/or been a tech. I've always taken my work very serious. Charge a fair price,....and give nothing but the best service possible. ANYWAY,.........please get back to us with more details. I'll let you know if they took your mom for a ride,..........or not!! :beerchug:

Ended up being almost $1,700.00

Pretty sure they could've cut it a bit(2 cans of engine cleaner @ $10 per can,etc.)but no biggie really,comes with a 12 mo. warranty and they seemed like good guys.Thinking the geographic location may have also played a big factor,costs for most everything out here in SoCal are a bit higher than in most parts of the country.Then again,when you're dead in the water and have to be towed to a garage/need your car ASAP you can't really do much shopping around.We're ok with it.:thumbsup:

Back