Timesert engine mounts

jeremy_283

Registered
I was re-putting on my t-Rex no cut sliders today and when reinserting the engine mount bolts it seemed that it was threading in fine then there was a slight resistance (not much) and that got me to thinking, what if these aluminum threads stripped out? How hard would it be to put a timesert in it?

If you can get at it with a drill you should be good...if it is on the engine behind the frame that might be a quite a job...try cleaning up the threads with the correct tap prior to drilling...use some oil or the paste stuff with the tap because it is aluminium.

It seems that it would take a few hours start to finish and damn near removing the engine to tilt it far enough to clear the frame. You might be able to remove the rad / oil cooler, exh, the chain, throttle cable + any harness plugs that won't reach, and all but the lower back mount bolt. There is likley more that you will come across and if there is an easier way that is known somebody might bring it up.

The pain with the time sert is that installing it may not be possible with the frame in the way. Try the tap first unless it is stripped all the way down the hole...it may have locktite and your being catious thinking it is stripped...did the aluminium threads come out on the bolt? or does it just feel like it is binding up?

I hope some of this helps you out...good luck.

jeremy,
I have read your past threads/post and you seem to have a "THING" with timeserts? :poke:

Well, it just felt like it was binding up... then it got all smooth again... I'm curious about timeserts cause all I've ever used are helicoils... plus I'm all freaked out by aluminum threads cause I just got this bike and I dont want to mess anything up

Last edited:
Back