Times have changed...

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I was riding around in my truck the other day and noticed that the average kid isn't about cars, bikes or really anything with wheels. Frankly, kids don't really hangout anymore late either. Growing up we all wanted cool cars, go cruising for girls and to hangout. Up for about anything than to sit at home.
Now, 10pm Saturday night every where's a ghost town. Or are people just scared to be out?

My 17 year old wouldnt be home unless I made him. He is all about cars, but I am not sure on girls yet. My 16 year old has a car but hasnt started driving yet, will have to see with him very soon.

Now days around here it is considered loitering if you hang anywhere. You get tickets for it.

reason kids are in the house iphone tablets texting oh shoot let just say its the sang internet and technology

Well the thinkers say it's technology, but I think it's about the state of our country, mainly the economy. Everywhere is a ghost town now-a-days. Most kids and their families can't afford to buy cars or bikes for the kids and if they can they can't afford the insurance, taxes, and tags.

It is depressing to even think about it. I find myself thinking about my childhood and I came up poor. I just think about all the great things I had, that just simply don't exist anymore. In my feeble mind it's just a shame.

James, my kids stayed at home too and had friends over, but now I'm hearing myself referred to as a helicopter parent. :dunno:

i feel your pain good sir. I get accused of being overly protective all the time because i wont let my kids stay the night at someone else house unless i have met the parents.

i feel your pain good sir. I get accused of being overly protective all the time because i wont let my kids stay the night at someone else house unless i have met the parents.

Understand my baby turned 24 last year, but we live in a small town and went to church with most of their friends and parents, but from a very early age they were simply taught no one touches you where your underwear is. Even three and four yer olds understand that. Funny thing is 98% of child molesters are family members ........

I think you are all on to what I have seen... My youngest plays Xbox live with his friends and honestly it's a better experience for them all playing at their own houses instead of coming to one house and sharing.. The older though I think is the economy, kids can't afford gas or cars or running around... My son saved his money and went to the movies or just hung out with his friends at our house... Cars, bikes all that is out now.

I agree the economy, video games, and depending on where you live there really isn't anyplace to hangout. The world has changed since the 70s and 80s (my day), I would have no problem with my kids hanging around the house with friends.

they get hammered worse for some of the things we used to do...I remember a speeding ticket being $15, and out drinking & driving was "take this party home"

ya my 15 year old is an xbox nut.. i swear he talks to himself.. but he got some mic setup thingy , talks to kids his age allover the world..

my daughter 20 yrs old , she is university.. she is in a world of her own..

im lucky, both are great kids and well grounded,yes a was and am very overprotective of them.. i was once their age... and was more of a free bird...

:whistle:

My two sons are now 11 and 13 and life revolves around XBOX live, but my youngest does like sports and cars, so I think he'll be the one that gets out. I imagine my older kid becoming a gamer for life, so I've told him I hope he plans to get a degree in software engineering so he can design games...he's on board with that :laugh:

At their ages, you couldn't bring me inside...yep, technology has changed everything...the world is still out there, we just used to have to go out to find it. Now it just comes to us via devices :banghead:

I hear you. My 16-year-old shows only the slightest interest in even getting his driver's license. To this day, he hasn't shown any interest in the Busa that's in the garage and has never asked me once for a ride.

My daughters connection to the outside world revolves around her iPhone, iPad, and MacBook. She has friends that she's never met face to face. She works full time and is in her last semester of college. She's had the same car since she was 16, and couldn't care less. 140K miles on a Honda Element. I took her out out on the boat for a day and she was texting most of the time. Her phone got wet and stopped working for a few hours....the world stopped spinning. I was shocked at how devastating it was to her. However...she makes okay dough, been on her own (with a little help now and then) for a couple years, and has a pretty good chance of making something of herself. She'd definitely rather spend money on new technology rather than a new ride....so I bought her AAA for her car, and a box of rice in case her phone gets wet again...happy happy.

As the years go on kids become fatter. It is an ongoing thing to make things more effortless. The World is coming to allow someone to complete school, purchase food and clothing, and work while at home. With this continuing, our country will breed more and more overweight kids and the playgrounds will remain empty. I remember that the group that I grew up with couldn't wait to learn to drive and purchase a car. We could stay at home when there were too many people to hangout with at the mall or the movie theater.

All this is better than sniffing bath salts, or smoking synthetic THC (sativa or salvia) which can be 400% stronger than regular weed. Teenagers are posting videos of themselves/friends on YouTube trying this stuff for the first time and some if their reactions are akin to a demonic possesion lol.

Back