Time To Fight A Serious Ticket

Dark3

Registered
Yesterday me and 3 others recieved reckless driving tickets in GA. In a larger group, we were the guys in the back. The guys in the front all got let off with nothing. I would not consider us as driving reckless although we may have been going a little fast and may have went around a vehicle in a double yellow. I have 0 points on my liscence, have been riding on the street for about 10 years and have never been cited before. Do I go fast on the street..yes. Do I try to mitigate risk by not playing around traffic or hidden driveways...absolutely. I am ready to fight this ticket or at most pay a donation to the town but it needs to get fully dropped. I guess I should start by writing a well thought out and professional email to the prosecuter on monday or tuesday proclaiming our innocence.

Best to hire a lawyer. I had zero points on my license last summer when I was ticketed for 70 in a 45, passing on a double yellow, and reckless driving. The state patrol wrote the tickets for me on my bike, which at the time I was a passenger in a car driven by my wife. I was retrieving a wrecked bike for a fellow rider. It took several months and $400 but I still have a clean record. I have zero respect for the lying state patrols now. And before anyone says that was a random incident, that's the second time in several years that I have been accused of doing something without even witnessing it. Lawyer up.

Do NOT contact prosecutor on your own ! Hire a attorney if you want to pay fine , and have zero points . I do not ride Georgia anymore after a friend was taken to jail from Canada ( not a US citizen ) visiting at a Suches rally . Let a Professional do what you think you can do please !
I speak from experience using attorneys for traffic violations. Usually 150 for a simple ticket , and $300 to 500 for more appearances or difficult ticket
to get off record . Yours will be on the upper end of the pay scale . FYI prosecutor will lol inside about your letter , and use it against you !

Its real simple you did break a traffic law . Man up / own up , and deal with it . You have to pay to play !

Good luck sir .

I agree with C10, if you are going to fight it lawyer up and do not contact the prosecutor on your own. Good luck bro.

Thanks for the advice guys. This state is horrible alright. I submitted a request for a consultation. Im gonna lawyer up.

first of all prosecutors don't read emails from you or anyone else. their email is not available to you anyway. if u were cited for reckless driving ur dreaming if u think their just gonna drop it. it mite get knocked down to a speeding ticket if ur driven history is good but forget the small donation or completely tossed out thing. ur gonna pay one way or the other but even with an attorney their not throwing the whole thing out usually. never seen it happen myself with reckless operation.

ur either gonna pay $500-750 for an attorney or pay that much in fines. if ur attorney is well liked in the courts its possible to get thrown out by the catch is you pay more for having an attorney that can do that but I wudnt put too much stock in that. as far as MV charges go thats like MURDER on the criminal end and no murder charge is getting tossed out. maybe reduced to manslaughter but thats it.

reckless operation can be a specific speed you reached by statute. like here in CT anything over 85 mph by itself is reckless operation OR the manner in which you were operating. it appears from wat ur sayn that its BOTH. a HIGH speed and RECKLESS MANNER. the ones where ur weaving in and out of traffic or passing in a no pass zone at a high rate of speed are never tossed out. that type of riding is really discouraged by the courts cause thats wat get ppl killed and you also scare the poop out of ppl on the road.

I wud caution you about going in there and pointing fingers and saying "But wat about them, why didn't the first group of guys in line get a ticket" that will backfire and you will get nothing reduced. cops can't stop everyone but they can stop you and they did. like already stated man up and plead for mercy cause if u go in there claiming to be a nun ur gonna be very disappointed....

If you lawyer up be prepared to negotiate what charges you will accept. The lawyer will go in and try and cut a deal with the prosecutor. You may have to accept a speeding and an illegal lane change or such instead of a reckless. In my state that is a fair trade since a reckless carries the same points/cost$/suspension as a DUI. You can figure you won't walk away with nothing. Good luck, feel your pain.

Every situation/outcome will be different.....

Everybody on this forum can tell you a story about themselves or a buddy that they know and what he or she did. But it will do you no good because none of it will be able to affect your case.

HIRE A LAWYER AND LET THEM DO THEIR JOB :thumbsup:

Disagree, first request disclosure formally and set a court date. I called a local lawyer and asked them what they do for this infraction. They told me what the prosecutor usually accepts ( which they eventually agreed to) and I got the information from them for free.

do some research and you can save a lot of money negotiating yourself . I had a big ticket in New york, never had a ticket previously. I got it reduced to a non moving violation and $200 fine. The lawyer will not be able to negotiate anything different then what they normally accept as a plea, no matter what your lawyer tells you.

They all have set practices which vary from court to court. There are tons of self help sites on how to fight tickets in each state, use them.

BB

Last edited:
request disclosure? ummm read the back of the ticket that details wat happened thats all ur gonna get for disclosure. this isn't a homicide investigation its a MV violation and the only witness is the cop who issued the ticket. u can't request disclosure till you have a court date and the court sets the court date not the individual who received the ticket.

so you called an attorney and advised them you were charged with reckless operation and they gave you legal advice on how to proceed and wat the prosecutor was going to accept? yea ok u got anymore tall tales to tell today? so u read a post about a guy who got a ticket for reckless operation and then you took the time to call a local attorney on behalf of the OP and thats wat this so-called attorney advised you? lmao.... if ur gonna tell stories at least make them believable cause ur talking out of ur ass!

negotiate urself? maybe ur not familiar with the term "those that represent themselves have a fool for an attorney".... a big ticket in NY is NOT reckless operation so ur comparing apples to oranges. reckless driving is a MISDEMEANOR which means one can do up to a year in jail with heavy fines up to $1000. a TICKET for speeding is NOT reckless driving. reckless driving is a MV violation that carries possible jail time if convicted.

so a lawyer can't change the outcome of anyone going to court for a MV violation? you shud really refrain from giving out bad advice to ppl cause u sound really ignorant!

Disagree, first request disclosure formally and set a court date. I called a local lawyer and asked them what they do for this infraction. They told me what the prosecutor usually accepts ( which they eventually agreed to) and I got the information from them for free.

do some research and you can save a lot of money negotiating yourself . I had a big ticket in New york, never had a ticket previously. I got it reduced to a non moving violation and $200 fine. The lawyer will not be able to negotiate anything different then what they normally accept as a plea, no matter what your lawyer tells you.

They all have set practices which vary from court to court. There are tons of self help sites on how to fight tickets in each state, use them.

BB

Last edited:
I got a little lucky on a charge a while back, thank God!

Taking off from a stop light in a 45 mph zone the front tire came up about 2 inches and carried for about 100 feet just above the ground but never went above the posted speed limit. There was an unmarked County sitting up the road watching and cited me a Reckless Driving. I was told by someone it would be a good idea to call the Prosecutor and discuss the situation with him, so I did. He asked what was the officer going to say that he saw and I told him the truth. He rides bike too and said he understood. He agreed to reduce the charge to a minimal charge and that was that. I went to court on the assigned date.

Well, in court I got laughed at because evidently I had contacted the city Prosecutor instead of the County Prosecutor or something like that...the judge thought it was so funny that he threw the entire case out.

This is not intended for advice, but is simply to share.

Reckless can get serious if it sticks. You didn't discuss the specifics very much, which is fine, but as someone who has been there, your defense is built around the prosecutions ability to prove your guilt. Mine was nowhere near reckless. It was maybe a speeding ticket for 10-15 over at best.

The cop on the street, is just writing tickets in as many as they can. They can jack you up in any way they want. Most tickets get paid, so they don't care. They are gonna write a ton more. But that doesn't mean they have a case if you are smart in how you defend yourself.

I got a similar pull-over in Fla. In a group. Hired an attorney, because it was out of county and a pretty big hassle to travel back and forth to court for it. Told the attorney the particulars of my defense and of the pullover.

It was dismissed. Cost IIRC like $150 for the attorney. He based his fee on the particulars of my defense. He said, easy ones are flat rate of $150, harder ones are $400. If the search function works here, you can look back a few years. They tried to bust us using an airplane as a speed measuring device. The ones that ran...got nothing. The ones that stopped got jacked up.

This is not an advertisement to run, its a PSA to defend your rights if you're stopped.

And P.S.

If you decide to fight it yourself, you are allowed to defend yourself and can subpoena anything deemed relevant. Which is a lot. But if you do decide to do it yourself, be prepared for it. Don't just go to court, hoping the cop doesn't show or the judge will help you.

Last edited:
FYI Reckless driving is one of the hardest charges to prove in a court of law and most often given by ignorant police officers....

And I think GNbrett really should go practice law
BB

I practice law every day at work do you? no didn't think so.....

lmao.... hardest charges to prove in court? wat do u know about wat MV charges are hard to prove in court? how many times have u ever testified in court for a reckless driving charge? none thats how many.... so go back to being a street lawyer who is totally clueless. uve already made a fool out of urself with ur inaccurate and ignorant advice so do urslef a favor and quit while ur behind....:confused:

and being the Commander of the Traffic division I speak from experience. wat do u speak from? let me guess? wat uve read on the internet right or maybe it was the one time u went to court? smh

FYI Reckless driving is one of the hardest charges to prove in a court of law and most often given by ignorant police officers....

And I think GNbrett really should go practice law
BB

Yesterday me and 3 others recieved reckless driving tickets in GA. In a larger group, we were the guys in the back. The guys in the front all got let off with nothing. I would not consider us as driving reckless although we may have been going a little fast and may have went around a vehicle in a double yellow. I have 0 points on my liscence, have been riding on the street for about 10 years and have never been cited before. Do I go fast on the street..yes. Do I try to mitigate risk by not playing around traffic or hidden driveways...absolutely. I am ready to fight this ticket or at most pay a donation to the town but it needs to get fully dropped. I guess I should start by writing a well thought out and professional email to the prosecuter on monday or tuesday proclaiming our innocence.

I was driving recklessly yesterday. That's what you're saying :snap: Either hire a lawyer to get the best deal you can get or go to the officer and respectfully and politely, with great humility ask him if there's anything he can do to help you. If your Drivers License ( 3 , 5 , 10 year ) is clear; maybe go to DMV and get a copy of it to show the officer. If he tells you no deal get a lawyer. Your reckless driving was in no way the fault of this officer. Apparently the only thing he is guilty of is doing his job. Hopefully you didn't show your butt on the side of the road. Best of luck with it.

I love it when people say lawyers don't matter and think they can achieve the same results as a professional that practices law and sits in countless trials on a DAILY BASIS.......

I mean let's forget about the years of law school and hours and hours of actual courtroom experience. What were they thinking ??? All they had to do was Google a couple traffic laws and seek a few keyboard attorneys and whoila!! You can walk Scott free outta any charge :rofl:

Look @ it from another perspective these prosecutors, lawyers, and judges deal with each other on a weekly/daily basis. They know each other hell they probably golf on the weekends!! So who's likely to get the better deal or have more leverage with the opposition??? A stranger who walks in pretending to be a lawyer or an actual person who is associate/peer??

Reckless driving is no joke and could have some serious implications...... Fines,points,suspended license, serious insurance rate hikes, and not to mention a little thing called JAIL :hide:

Do yourself & and your family a favor and sit the bench in this 1 and hire a Pro

From my personal experience, get an attorney.

In 2005 I was ticketed with racing on the highway, willful reckless driving and a 107 mph speeding ticket. Three trips to court and it was dismissed, not found not guilty,, dismissed.

In 2006 I was ticketed with careless driving. Two visits to court and I was found not guilty.

Yes both of these cost me $$$$ but I not only kept my license, I kept all my points on it.

Get a good attorney, they are worth the money.

DO NOT take the advice of any officer of the law, even if you think they are your friend. Nomatter how good of a friend you think they are, they will look out for their fellow officers. Have I mentioned get an attorney yet? Good luck.

Back