time for new tires

AZIROC

Registered
as some of u may know, i got my busa used with just shy of 3k miles on her. its been less then a month, and shes just over 5k now *yea.. my ass lives on this bike now*. anywho, she needs some new tires. (dont worry, i already know what tire brand/size im getting, so that wont b the debate)... but im wondering if i should do a new chain/sprockets as well. visually, everything LOOKS fine. but i heard/have been reading when u go 2 replace the front and rear i should change the chain/sprokets as well. should i not do it cause it looks fine? or should i just spend the extra $200 for peice of mind?

sidenote.. where is the cheapest place to get a HMF dual high mount? lowest i have seen is like $1100 shipped (i need exhaust.. shes to quiet).

That's a good question...I will be taking my bike this weekend to get the tires changes. My bike has ~5700 miles on it. Is there anything special that I should do when getting the tires changed.

I dont think you will need new chain and sprocket for 5k miles if everything is looking ok!!! IMO

AZ...no need to change unless you want to go up on the back or down on the front. I did mine at 7500 and everything looked great, just wanted to go up 2t on the rear. However, if you do change, best to do as a set, new chain and both sprockets so that everything wears at the same rate. Just keep the chain clean & lubed, it'll be fine. Make sure you look at the cush drive rubbers when you do the tire, may need to be replaced. I think Johnny Cheese sells HMF, I would check with him.

I just had tires put on my '03 with 7,000 miles on it and the chain and sprockets were in good shape.

Ed

I'm at 17,500miles on stock chain and sproket.
You can see the sproket needs replacing when the teeth come to a point instead of having a slightly flat plateau at the tip, or if they are bent/curled.
The chain should be good until you run out of adjustment on the swingarm.
No need to replace unless you are modifing the number of teeth or just want a stronger chain(some do).

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114099197 -->

yep.. what he said.. no need to change a perfectly good chain out.

unless your just tremendously hard on your bike the chain should last atleast 20,000 if not more..

check the side to side motion of the chain.. it should have much slack at all. Other than that unless there is something visually wrong with it I think you'd just be wasting money..

Even if you are changing the sprockets I wouldn't change the chain unless there were something wrong with it.

Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure that the cush drive rubbers are checked out.

No need to change the chain and sprocket, but make sure to check it for security and tightness.

Make sure you don't have any broken...You should be good to go...

Back