Time for new tires; Bridgestone Battlax T30 / Dunlop Q3 / Michelin Pilot Road 4

1UP

Registered
There are so many to choose from and even more opinions - I'm just looking to get the best deal I can and at the same time, feel like I made the wisest decision for a safest ride possible.

I only ride in a straight line until I'm forced to make a turn to follow my destination route and only think about "trying to drag knee" on a clover leaf at a general velocity of 30 mph. ??? Cost really isn't an issue and is less important than performance as long as the cost is justified. It seems that most would recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 4's for general street use even though it's the most expensive at almost double the cost of other tires such as the Dunlop Q3's or Bridgestone T30's. Currently, the cost of a set of Michelin's will be roughly $350, $280 for Dunlops, and $200 for Bridgestones (after rebate).

It seems that the Michelins have a street-proven reputation and seems like the ideal set of tires for myself but I just wanted to give it a final thought before making a decision tomorrow. I've sadly been away from her for a few days now since getting a flat and want and need to get back on the road.

I know there is much technology behind the design of these tires that I probably wouldn't understand anyway but just wanted to know if you guys can convince me to buy the "better" set of tires for my use. TIA.

I do NOT have any experience with any of the tire models you listed.

However I really like the pilot road 3's that I currently run, good grip, with long life.

I have run Pilot roads on my FJR1300 , and have been very happy till the 4's came out . I ride very hard in the mountains / hot weather , and see about 5 thousand from PR2's / PR3's but my new PR4's ( GT model ) I am @ 3100 miles on the rear , and used up nearly 80% I might hit 4K .
Sad thing is very few wheelies , no burn outs , now two up riding , air pressure @ 42 PSI .
The 2's/3's lots of wheelies , at least 2 or 3 burn outs ( some rolling ) , some two up riding .
The 4 is suppose to last 20% longer . They do stick well , but so did the 3 allowing wheelies in the rain in Eureka springs on Rock house Rd .

Ill be trying a new brand/model next

Q3s at beginning of season are only $200 everyyear after rebate. I run them and love them. Just gotta know if going to need tires upcoming season saves you money to order early.

Those are different catagories of tires. The T30 and PR4 are sport touring tires. Built for longer longevity rather than super sticky. The Q3 is a hypersport tire built more for grip than longevity. From your riding style I'd say you would be better off on a touring tire like the T30, PR4, or a Dunlop Roadsmart2.

I'm running T30's right now and it's time for a new rear, which will be replaced with another one. For the price it's one of the better tires out there for the type of riding you say you do. Roadsmarts are better but cost more, I got about 6500 miles out of mine. Never run the Q3's but have the Q2's, only about 1500 before they were toast. That was mostly mountain roads as the sides were gone before the middle. I can easily get a knee down with the T30 but I would go up to a 190 55 on the rear. I was dragging my stator cover in the mtns. until I went up to the 55's. .02

I have always had Parelli tires. I used strada tires and then went to angel gt tires which are the replacement. The tire is designed as a sport touring tire as it has a harder center with the soft sides. For me this is simply the very best tire for the money. I get longer life out of the center portion of the tire over others and it still has all the grip on the side you will ever need. For 99 percent of us anyway. I run the dragon with them without a thought. knee drag etc. i have done the dragon in 12 minutes flat which isnt too bad and the tires have never even hinted at slipping. They are my number one choice.

I have always had Parelli tires. I used strada tires and then went to angel gt tires which are the replacement. The tire is designed as a sport touring tire as it has a harder center with the soft sides. For me this is simply the very best tire for the money. I get longer life out of the center portion of the tire over others and it still has all the grip on the side you will ever need. For 99 percent of us anyway. I run the dragon with them without a thought. knee drag etc. i have done the dragon in 12 minutes flat which isnt too bad and the tires have never even hinted at slipping. They are my number one choice.

Good to know you like em because I just brought a set of PIRELI ANGET GT have not have the chance to put them on yet here like every thing else they are expense's $430 and that was shopping around how much did you pay for them over there thanks :thumbsup:

Good to know you like em because I just brought a set of PIRELI ANGET GT have not have the chance to put them on yet here like every thing else they are expense's $430 and that was shopping around how much did you pay for them over there thanks :thumbsup:

I ended up getting both front and back done at Wheelers shop down at the dragon in Robinsville front last year and the rear the year before. So I paid a little more for them but not a whole lot more. I usually get the rear around 200 or less and front around 140 more or less minus install. locally i have the rear put on at tiresunlimited but have not needed to lately . seems i end up needing them while im at the dragon every time so Wheelers has done it for the last few years. tiresunlimited has the best price i can find and for me they are local although they do not have the gt right now. just the st. the tire is fantastic. holds great. went to the dragon last month and tore it up and never missed a beat.. which reminds me. i gotta call wheeler and have him order a front tire for me cause the sidewalls are at or nearly at the wear mark .. center is fine though. love those tires.

I've been running the pilot road 3s on my third set, third year. The 4's are suppose to be better. I haven't experienced any issues and they are a great rain or wet tire as well. Getting roughly 15K miles. I ride somewhat aggressive.

I use the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport ...found it to be an excellent tire for road and track ( have used it extensively on both ) ..good mileage and grip...

Alright, thanks for the replies. I think I'm actually going to get a set of Bridgestone Battlax S20 Hypersports. The set will cost me just under $170 after rebate and if they don't work out, I won't feel too bad.

I also see that a few Busa riders go with 200/50 profile tires. The S20 is also available in a 200/55 size. Would there be any benefit to my gentle riding style to even consider the 200/55 size and would there be any fitment issues with the taller size?

I live in AUSTRALIA everything here is expensive mate :thumbsup:

Angel GT 190/55 - $NZ360 or $US242 or $AUD325
Crappy 016s 190/50 or 55 and 120 $NZ419 - $US281 - $AUD379
Fitting price dependent on whether u take wheels in or bike about $15 - 25 each.

How does that compare over the ditch ?

Sorry for the OP for somewhat hi jacking this tread to cantab

Angel GT 190/50/17 rear and Angel GT 120/70/17 front both for $400 thats from QUEENSLAND I live in MELBOURNE VIC PLUS $30 SHIPPING TOTAL $430 As for tyre fitting I went around to a couple of local stealer ships here 1 quoted $80 if I bring only the 2 wheels in or $120 if I bring the bike in :banghead:went to another shop he quoted me $60 if I bring in the wheels only Found a bike shop in GEELONG which was pretty reasonable at $40 also if I bring in the wheels looks like I go to him with 3 bikes I am serially considering getting a tyre fitting machine or something else I understand the dealers have to make a profit but some prices IMO are to much for only changing a couple of tyres

I heard prices are pretty cheap in NZ but I can't find any one online to get some accessries or tyres from there ?cheers :thumbsup:

Alright, just got the Bridgestone S20 EVO's installed and took it for spin. Feels good so far!

IMG_20150709_205335.jpg

IMG_20150709_205402.jpg

The new shoes look good. Just remember that new tires are slick and will come out from under you.

Back