Time for a non-manual timed oil change?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
I changed my oil at 600 using OE non-syn oil...the manual says wait until 4000 before next change, but I've been running it up well above 5K RPM (~9K RPM).

I'm at ~13-1400 miles now and just feel that based on how dirty the first oil was and that I'm still breaking it in and fairly hard, that I should go ahead and change it out now w/ full synthetic and then wait until 4000 miles before the next one.

In your experise fellow board members would you recommend changing it now w/ syn oil?

Thanks

Best advice is that it won't ever hurt to do an oil change early...I didn't wait 'til what the manual said...every 2500 - 3000 miles for me...been using synthetic since the first oil change and haven't had any problems...
cool.gif

I'm sure someone will have more technical info, but that's my $.02
smile.gif

Yeah, You cannot change your oil too often. And if you spun on a fresh filter last time and are using the same oil you shouldn't need to change your filter saving ALOT of time.

When you get to about 2500 or so I recommend switching to a full Ester based Motorcycle specific motor oil. Silkolene, Motul, etc, it'll make a surprising difference in your tranny and smooth out the motor a little bit.

True Story.
wink.gif

I changed to synthetic on the second oil change. Mobil 1 mxt4. Just to be sure break in was complete.

Yeah, You cannot change your oil too often.  And if you spun on a fresh filter last time and are using the same oil you shouldn't need to change your filter saving ALOT of time.  

When you get to about 2500 or so I recommend switching to a full Ester based Motorcycle specific motor oil.  Silkolene, Motul, etc, it'll make a surprising difference in your tranny and smooth out the motor a little bit.

True Story.
wink.gif
Thanks, Keith (Rev), and everyone else.  I did change the oil filter at 600 and used non-syn OE oil so it should be good til' the 2500 mark you mentioned.

Okay, in short I'll change this oil w/ the same non-syn OE oil, keeping the same oil filter on, then change to the Ester based oil at ~2500 miles w/ a new filter like you stated.  Then every ~3000 miles after that.

Sometimes it helps to get advice and just talk yourself through what you need to do.

-Keith

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156435868 -->

Oh For the record, I dunno WHY everyone says wait till 2500 miles or so to switch to synthetic, it's probably a dinosaur of thought left over from somewhere. I think the theory is that it will effect your rings ability to properly seat themselves, Thus making less power and using oil. I've seen enough smoking bikes to think that there is probably something to this.

Just make certain you use good oil, or use cheap oil and change it every 500 miles or so.

And if you spun on a fresh filter last time and are using the same oil you shouldn't need to change your filter saving ALOT of time.  
Yeah , I read that in the manual and thought I was seeing things ......they actually recommend changing the filter every other time . That just dosen't make much sense to me .

rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

The bonus of using a high quality Full Ester Based synthetic is you can stretch your oil changes out to 4-5k without concern. So while it costs more it holds up better longer, even in Florida. That's where I was running Silkolene Pro-4 Plus 10w-50. Reall good oil, holds up well and theoretically should give you that extra safety margin should your bike over heat, or something similar.

Oh For the record, I dunno WHY everyone says wait till 2500 miles or so to switch to synthetic, it's probably a dinosaur of thought left over from somewhere.  I think the theory is that it will effect your rings ability to properly seat themselves,  Thus making less power and using oil.  I've seen enough smoking bikes to think that there is probably something to this.  

Just make certain you use good oil, or use cheap oil and change it every 500 miles or so.
I've heard the same THEORY in regards to syn oil not allowing for proper seating of rings during early break-in. Not sure how true but subscribe to it. I'll use top quality full-syn oil at ~2500 miles though.

Also keep in mind full synthetic oil will not break down in 3,000 or even 4,000 miles even though the manual recommends changing more often synthetic will last way beyond 7,500 miles. I'm change around 5,000 now, and it upsets me since the oil coming out is almost as clean as the oil going in. There are some guys on the board who really get into this so you'll most likely get their.02 worth.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156436689 -->

And if you spun on a fresh filter last time and are using the same oil you shouldn't need to change your filter saving ALOT of time.
Yeah , I read that in the manual and thought I was seeing things ......they actually recommend changing the filter every other time . That just dosen't make much sense to me .

rock.gif
rock.gif
Works for cars and stuff too. The oils used have fewer impurities, and once the bike is broken in there just isn't a whole lot of crap to filter outta the oil. So every other is just dandy.

These are some high quality, high efficiency, oil filters. You clean em and re-use them and filters better than paper filters. $$$ Though.

Scott's lifetime filters

rock.gif

One more thing...

Webbikeworld

Is full of reviews, links, and information about bike "STUFF". Good reviews and good info.

Okay, since I started this thread let me state that I'm putting the Hazards on. As much as I greatly appreciate all the info. (the more the better) let's make sure this doesn't turn into the classic old age debate of which oil is best.

Thanks everyone.

Oil...it needs to be changed
rock.gif
Why didn't they tell me when I bought my bike
rock.gif

rock.gif

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 24 2006,09:22)
(--Revlis @ Aug. 24 2006,09:16) Oh For the record, I dunno WHY everyone says wait till 2500 miles or so to switch to synthetic, it's probably a dinosaur of thought left over from somewhere.  I think the theory is that it will effect your rings ability to properly seat themselves,  Thus making less power and using oil.  I've seen enough smoking bikes to think that there is probably something to this.  

I've heard the same THEORY in regards to syn oil not allowing for proper seating of rings during early break-in.  Not sure how true but subscribe to it.  I'll use top quality full-syn oil at ~2500 miles though.
I have to agree that this is false information about waiting to switch to synthetics and should be stopped.

MANY vehicles use full synthetics from the factory, the C5 to present corvettes comes with mobil 1 synthetic from the factory(hell all 01+ Z06 engines were spun to check engine balance, and many european cars come with it from the factory.

quality/ tolerences of how engines components are machined and produced way better than say even 20 years ago.

If anything putting synthetic in should be done ASAP, that way main bearings and all wear items are worn in to the thickness of the oil being used normally. think of synthetic oil molecules being more uniform in size and conventional oils molecules varying in size.

(Revlis @ Aug. 24 2006,09:03) Yeah, You cannot change your oil too often.  And if you spun on a fresh filter last time and are using the same oil you shouldn't need to change your filter saving ALOT of time.  

When you get to about 2500 or so I recommend switching to a full Ester based Motorcycle specific motor oil.  Silkolene, Motul, etc, it'll make a surprising difference in your tranny and smooth out the motor a little bit.

True Story.
wink.gif
Yep, I followed Rev's advice and switched to the Silkolene. My bike certainly runs better and a bit cooler!!!

Back