Time for a New Tire

Maybe it's me but if he can get 8K miles & 2+ yrs out of a rear tire it's probably cheaper and a lot easier to have a shop do his tires. ??? Cause by time he buys the equipment,tires and takes time to do it, it'll take 10 yrs for him to break even.:laugh:

Maybe it's me but if he can get 8K miles & 2+ yrs out of a rear tire it's probably cheaper and a lot easier to have a shop do his tires. ??? Cause by time he buys the equipment,tires and takes time to do it, it'll take 10 yrs for him to break even.:laugh:

That's a good point:laugh:

Judging from the look of the rear you were probably at the wear indicators at 6 thou.

Honda of Tulsa charges 20 if you take them the wheel. Best deal I have found in the area

if any of you guys come down around my area i have access to a no-mar. prob wouldnt be worth the gas as high as it is anymore. but if you need tires changed and are driving down here anyway give me a holler

if any of you guys come down around my area i have access to a no-mar. prob wouldnt be worth the gas as high as it is anymore. but if you need tires changed and are driving down here anyway give me a holler

Sounds good. Probably have to change at least once this year. We're going to run PMRA and the TRP bracket series.

+1 on the Dyna Beads. Balancing was the only factor that was hindering me from doing the job myself, but Dyna Beads changed my mind on that whole ordeal. Not to mention not having to clean around those silly press on weights. I'm changing out my Storm's also. The front tire began scalping (flat spots every two inches on both sides off center) before the rear even showed significant wear. Never tried the Storm 2's. Maybe better? dunno. First "generation" of the Storms was such a disappointment to me that I told myself never again on Avons. Others have had better results with them. I've taken the advice of the "majority rule" here on the .org and ordered a Bridgestone 016 Pro for the front and 023 for the rear.
Good luck. Looking forward on seeing your tire changing thread and seeing how those Storm 2's hold up for ya.

Sorry for late response & update:

@kml interesting point, about the wear indicators (not sure about 6k miles though). They looked fairly decent, but was flattening then.

@Rollin20oz I might spring for the more expensive setup, other than the individual tools, I posted in the link, in my opening thread.

#1 I like to do my own work (I know it'll be fun, and educational)
#2 I'm 39yo, and have many, many years of riding (much more than 10 years, before the tool pays for itself).
#3 Once the tires are off the bike, I don't have to haul them to the shop, wait for them, pay $40 for each tire, etc....
#4 I might have some friends that might be interested in a tire change, so charging them "a few" bucks, will be worth it (not counting on that though :laugh:).

Here's what I'm thinking about investing in: No-Mar: Cycle Hill Tire Changer.

Will post an update...

Update...
I am going to do the tire job, completely myself. I'm also going to buy an inexpensive tire changing stand (still researching for the best, that's under $200). I'll get all the tools (tire irons, wheel protectors, etc... needed for the job).

I have decided on the Avon Storm 2's (front & rear), & will balance with dyno beads. Gonna move up, from a 190, to a 200 on the rear. Will post a tire changing thread, with photos, when I get started.

Thanks for all the replies. A please, keep it going, if you have any more insightful information :)

You will love those dyna-beads, I have used them for many years on all of my bikes

Dont think you have really got 8500 from that tyre, seeing as its now dangerous to ride with it like that LOL... more like 7500 ;)

I went for Mich Power Pures and thought they were great.. all the mags in the UK love those Dunlop Sportmax's so they'll be what goes on next

Just a suggestion... swap the tyres before they get in that shape mate... not worth the risk IMHO

Jza

@lankeeyankee Not really charging friends. I'd do it for them for free. BUT, if they offer to slide me a 10 or 20, I wouldn't turn it down. If it works out Ok, I'd even supply the DynaBeads for cost, plus shipping. Hell, I'd even let them change their own tires, with my equipment It'll be fun :laugh:

@Jza You are correct. I agree that the limit was pushed, on the rear, but not intentional. I just have to pay more attention to the wear marks.

@Big Bo Tires Avon Storms 2 (Front & Rear), Cycle Hill Tire Changer, Dynobeads, etc... are on the way. Will post pics of the tire change, in a new thread.

Thx

I'm running the storms front and rear. You will not be disappointed. Waiting to hear about that first tire change.

You can save yourself a bunch of money just by purchasing your tires online, removinging them yourself and taking them to the local bike shop for mounting and balancing...

I second this. I ordered from an online site where I scored my set of original Pilot Powers for less than $210, no taxes, free shipping. The shipping was ground, but they dropped shipped them from Dallas to me in San Antonio in less than 3 days. I dismounted my tires and took them to a local shop that mounted and balanced them for like $40. Cycle Gear here can only mount tires, they don't remove them. I highly recommend the online route, some dealers locally were charging $200 for the rear alone!

good luck and for the next change of tyres try metzeler m5,much more grip and last longer..
waiting for pics of the tyre change..

I am going to try the Continental RoadAttack tires, I have them on my Supermoto (DR650 converted to supermoto) and so far, they grip extremely well and are wearing very nicely. A friend of mine ran them on his CBR1000RR and had good tire life out of them and good performance. I will post up once my OEM tires wear out.

Sorry but looking at the state of that tyre you should have changed it 1000 miles ago.. dangerous **** driving with a tyre like that LOL

well i run the metzler me 880's 200 rear 130 front. I change them myself and use dyna beads to ballance them, With painted wheels. I do not like people telling me i cannot do that, Or run that tire. The best handeling tire so far.

Back