Time for a New Tire

MEBusa

Registered
8500 miles on the stock Bridgestone BT015 (09' Busa), and now I can see significant wear on the rear. My riding style is moderate, with some hard accelerations. I have never burned my tires out. Never ever spinned them. I will be replacing with the same, to match the front (which is still in good shape).

The question is, should I take it off, take it to the local shop, & let them replace it (I'm thinking probably Cycle Gear, or the Honda/Suzuki dealer where I bought the bike).

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Buy the tire replacement kit, and remove/install the tire myself. I am very mechanical inclined; balancing is my only concern. Any thoughts?

How to remove video
Motorcycle Tire Change: Tire Changing - YouTube[/url]

Tools: Tire Tools | Tire Irons | Tire Balancing | Jake Wilson

By the way, ALL chicken strip jokes, are welcomed :laugh:

busa1.jpg

Busa2.jpg

Busa3.jpg

Busa4.jpg

Busa5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're considering changing tires yourself you might as well balance them yourself too.
My friend has a Redline Stands tire balancer and it works great. A bag of stick-on weights is about $7, and available in plain aluminum finish or black.
Our tires are perfect all the way to top speed, no vibrations.
The upfront cost of tools to change and balance tires will pay for themselves.
Considering you can get a front tire for around $100 to $120, it's always better to replace tires as a set if you can afford it.
The stock tires on the Busa are less than desireable too. Regardless of your riding style there are several other tires that will provide better traction and handling than them.:thumbsup:

If you got 8500 miles out of the stock Bridgestones I am sure you will get atleast 18K from the Michelin M3's.
More mileage and a much better tire IMO.
You must have great throttle control to get that much out of the stock tires I never heard of anyone getting more then
6K out of the OEM tires.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I may as well replace both tires at the same time. I'd probably get a better deal, as a set w/ the shipping. My plans were to go with a diff tire, than stock (I had the Avon Storm's in mind), when it was time to change the front & back together. I've always loved the Michi's as a car tire. I've read a lot of reviews on them as well, as it seems like they make good tires for motorcycles too. I don't want a "soft, sticky" tire. I want more a sport touring tire, with a good tread pattern, for longevity.

Here in the North West. We get rain from nowhere. I noticed my stock bridge stones would squirm all over the place in the wet. But the pirelli Angeles almost seemed to stay planted. My biggest problem is over confidence. I always have to keep in mind it is wet. Dry traction holds up well too.

tapatalk - on my HTC ERIS rooted with cyanogen mod 7

You must be magical, I've never heard of anyone getting 8500 miles on a BT015.

By all means change the front as well. If it has 8500 miles it's ready for the bone yard regardless of how it looks.

The Bridgestone BT016 Pro is the latest version of the OEM tire and a great tire I may add. You may want to have a peek at those. They are tripple compound tires where your OEM 15's are single compound. The 16 has a harder center for longer life and more silica for wet grip. If you got 8500 miles on the 15 you should get 12K from the 16 Pro's.

If your desire is to replace with touring tires, myself as well as a number of other orgsters have learned a little trick to improve performance as well as increase mileage by using a dual compound rear touring tire on the rear such as the Bridgestone BT023 and since the front tire is the control point for every rider input, use a BT016 Pro for the front. This combination will wear out at about the same time and it gives rock solid control and grip. Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing. It takes me 3 rear tires to go 8500 miles. And thats running a BT023.
That's because your a bad boy :laugh:

I've saved a butt load of money changing mine. Now for some flaming, I've never balanced the tires and a friend of mine takes the bike to the high peg once in a while :whistle: and has never had an issue.

Funny you say that. I don't think I ride my bike at even 60% of its potential with any regularity but I can flat ruin a tire from edge to edge in less than 3k miles.

I've had great success using Continental Road Attacks, I've gotten 10K per rear and 20K out of the front with no troubles and no faster than I ride they handle great, in fact keeping up with guys on "stickier" tires was no issue. The front was pretty toast by 15K but for commuting it held out no problem.

As for balancing Dynabeads work great.

You can save yourself a bunch of money just by purchasing your tires online, removinging them yourself and taking them to the local bike shop for mounting and balancing...

You can save yourself a bunch of money just by purchasing your tires online, removinging them yourself and taking them to the local bike shop for mounting and balancing...

Check with your shop first, my dealer wont touch it unless you purchase the tire from them. Liability they say, whatever. I dont go back there for anything.

i think you should get the tire changer and balancer or the tire machine and some dynabeads. they charge $100 somethin bucks to change tires here.

:poke: and go with Dunlop Q2's :thumbsup::laugh:

Check with your shop first, my dealer wont touch it unless you purchase the tire from them. Liability they say, whatever. I dont go back there for anything.

cycle gear will mount them cheap if you carry them in. synergy across the street was doing mounting cheap too but i think they were taking them off and having cycle gear do them.

cycle gear will mount them cheap if you carry them in. synergy across the street was doing mounting cheap too but i think they were taking them off and having cycle gear do them.

Honda of Tulsa charges 20 if you take them the wheel. Best deal I have found in the area

That's because your a bad boy :laugh:

I've saved a butt load of money changing mine. Now for some flaming, I've never balanced the tires and a friend of mine takes the bike to the high peg once in a while :whistle: and has never had an issue.

Right a "FRIEND"

With flat spots like that you will notice a huge improvement when you tip in to the corner.

Update...

I am going to do the tire job, completely myself. I'm also going to buy an inexpensive tire changing stand (still researching for the best, that's under $200). I'll get all the tools (tire irons, wheel protectors, etc... needed for the job).

I have decided on the Avon Storm 2's (front & rear), & will balance with dyno beads. Gonna move up, from a 190, to a 200 on the rear. Will post a tire changing thread, with photos, when I get started.

Thanks for all the replies. A please, keep it going, if you have any more insightful information :)

Good luck with Avon brand since your OEM tires lasted so long I am sure you wont come close to pushing the limits on tires.
Please keep us updated on your Avon tires. I am curious, last set I had lasted 400 miles and I removed them.

You will like the Storm 2s. I am anxious to see what kind of mileage you get out of them. I got 3k out of oem tires and average 6500-7000 out of a rear Storm 2.

Back