Tighten your belts, tough times ahead

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Retired old guy here, but have always been an investor managing my own investment portfolio. A lot more time available since retirement, but I have always had a good understanding of the global economy and continue to research it on a daily basis.

This is about saving our country and we can't afford to wait any longer, the time is now. We have to take on China and it is not going to be easy, we are all going to feel the pain. It is going to hurt, but really there is no alternative.

I have always tried not to shop Chinese goods, but in today's market it is almost impossible. I still try though, hope you do the same.

In short, if you love your country and you want to save the future for our children, stop buying things from China, at any possible opportunity.

Two links attached, one written 8 years ago under the old administration below and the second a bit more current:

http://www.stevetabb.com/

http://www.industryweek.com/trade/it-time-stand-china

My countries politicians are so far up China , I can't see where they end and China begins . If there is any negative comments made about China publicly in any form of Australian media , China rally their students that study over here in Australia , to protest in organized force , and they do it well . The Chinese investment in Australia isn't the highest foreign invested , but it is really targeted to strategic and prime asset ownership , which my bastard politicians gladly hand over ( Darwin Harbour NT for example ) , to receive special benefits , favors , in which any moral barrier laws were changed to accommodate this , so to become fair dinkum .
Another serious concern is politicians nowadays , are in bed with big company's , which are almost always multi national owned . So basically those particular bastards are shielded from paying tax in your country through canny loopholes to tax haven countries , but are free to operate and fleece the chosen home market . These company's are in country , employing people , yes , but are constantly streamlining their productivity , through technology , which in most cases means human jobs become redundant . Unfortunately the workers , are more often left with not a lot of fast , on going work options . Multi Nationals aren't held to any loyalty , and will pack up and go where the profits promise best , another continent usually .
And the future looks to be even more competitive , with potentially huge numbers of established work forces , that will have to be prepared to retrain for the jobs of the future , when the old industries fold , and not helped by the fact that most of the powers that be , can't actually specify what exactly some of these needed jobs will be ... to know what skills will be required . Good time to arm yourself with a pen at least ..

As long as we can get cheap throw-away crap from china then I see it extremely unlikely we will stop until a war or invasion hits. Granted not every single thing they make is crap, lot of it can be hard to screw up, and from what I understand all china does is copy and then mass produce.
Here is a question I dont know the answer too:
I was needing a rear cowl/tail piece for one of my hondas thats no longer available from honda. I was able to get a reproduction one from china (through ebay) shipped to my door for $180. Quality wasnt perfect but I was able to do a little body work and make it perfect on my own. When they where still available from honda they where north of $400, plus shipping. Just out of curiosity I checked to see how much it would cost me to return it back to china (roughly slightly larger than a busa gas tank) and shipping alone, using fedex was almost $500.
How in the hell can they ship stuff over here for litterally pennies when it cost us hundreds to ship to them???
I have bought a handful of stuff (led lights, mirrors, etc) direct from china that cost less than $5 shipped to my door as where it would cost 10-15 or sometimes even more to buy it here in the states.
How are they getting such a hell of a deal through the USPS? Cause they are the service usually delivering to my door

What we get from China (although seeming vast) is still small enough that they need us more than we need them

So basically those particular bastards are shielded from paying tax in your country through canny loopholes to tax haven countries , but are free to operate and fleece the chosen home market . These company's are in country , employing people , yes , but are constantly streamlining their productivity , through technology , which in most cases means human jobs become redundant .
Google comes to mind and who owns them ?

TB3 , I think in China their post is part subsidised by the Govt, there was discussion down here about the same thing.

As long as we can get cheap throw-away crap from china then I see it extremely unlikely we will stop until a war or invasion hits. Granted not every single thing they make is crap, lot of it can be hard to screw up, and from what I understand all china does is copy and then mass produce.
Here is a question I dont know the answer too:
I was needing a rear cowl/tail piece for one of my hondas thats no longer available from honda. I was able to get a reproduction one from china (through ebay) shipped to my door for $180. Quality wasnt perfect but I was able to do a little body work and make it perfect on my own. When they where still available from honda they where north of $400, plus shipping. Just out of curiosity I checked to see how much it would cost me to return it back to china (roughly slightly larger than a busa gas tank) and shipping alone, using fedex was almost $500.
How in the hell can they ship stuff over here for litterally pennies when it cost us hundreds to ship to them???
I have bought a handful of stuff (led lights, mirrors, etc) direct from china that cost less than $5 shipped to my door as where it would cost 10-15 or sometimes even more to buy it here in the states.
How are they getting such a hell of a deal through the USPS? Cause they are the service usually delivering to my door

This is very thing Trump has addressed
Other countries screwing the U.S.
Changes are being made.
Those changes may hurt us in the short run, but are needed to help us in the long run.
Another reason democrats and liberals hate Trump. He's undoing all their 'legal' national and global money makers.

I just read a piece that shows the results of the early stages of this trade war. The Chinese stock exchange has lost 20% of it's value and their growth rate is no longer growing but in fact starting greatly slow down. It's a high stakes game of chicken. I hope China blinks first.

I kind of disagree with him taking on both China and the EU at once. I'd like to not have that risk in both directions.

But I respect his balls.

This is very thing Trump has addressed
Other countries screwing the U.S.
Changes are being made.
Those changes may hurt us in the short run, but are needed to help us in the long run.
Another reason democrats and liberals hate Trump. He's undoing all their 'legal' national and global money makers.

Say guys, if we’re not careful we’re going to lose a lot of forum friends whether you like the president or not.

Say guys, if we’re not careful we’re going to lose a lot of forum friends whether you like the president or not.

I know, but it's like taking bad tasting medicine as a kid.
Do you want to keep struggling with something dragging you down, or put up with the cure until things get better?
I don't want to get political either.
There are enough good and bad people in every country, race, religeon, and political party.
There has been so much greed, hate, and ultimate stupidty for generations, that we have arrived at the problems of today.
Can't we all just play fair and get along? Apparently not.

One thing most people don't know is at the beginning of the Trump admin Trump proposed that all tariffs be dropped and just have an even playing field accross the nboard to which of coarse everyone balked because they have way more on us then we have. Canada that says "we will not be pushed around" has 270% on our dairy for instance. When they proposed biz as usual Trump said no and they spazzed out.

One thing most people don't know is at the beginning of the Trump admin Trump proposed that all tariffs be dropped and just have an even playing field accross the nboard to which of coarse everyone balked because they have way more on us then we have. Canada that says "we will not be pushed around" has 270% on our dairy for instance. When they proposed biz as usual Trump said no and they spazzed out.

Didn’t you read my last post?

Back