Tighening chain crap

IndyDave

Registered
Ok, to tighten the chain. I put bike on sidestand and a) remove cotter pin, b) loosen axel nut, then c) loosen the lock nuts... damn...the left side lock nut wants to strip when I try to loosen it. I am using the proper wrench included in the tool kit.

Any suggestions to fix this?

proper wrench included in tool kit

next time try a real tool
idea.gif

I would not recommend using the tools that come with the bike unless proper tools are unavailable. The best tool for the job would be six-point box-end wrench. Six points are better than twelve point because there is more contact area between the wrench and the nut. Twelve point are more popular because they are easier to put on the nut than a six point. The worst is an open-end wrench(that's what's in the busa's tool kit) because it has very little contact area. So as you apply more force, it will strip the nut due to small contact area between the nut and the wrench. I am an aircraft mechanic, just so you have an idea about my background.

I can't remember if a box-end can get on that nut, but if an open-end wrench has to be used. Get a real one from home depot or something. It's been a while since I tightened the chain, I can't remember if a box-end will work.

I can't remember if a box-end can get on that nut, but if an open-end wrench has to be used.  Get a real one from home depot or something.  It's been a while since I tightened the chain, I can't remember if a box-end will work.
Box end will not work unless you know some magic...I've never had a problem using the stock tools...You may have tried to turn it the wrong way and cased it to start stripping...No big deal...Just take it off and replace when you swap rear tire...

....what you actually need doods....is called a flarenut wrench, sometimes called a brake line wrench . It looks like a boxend wrench , but has a cut away for going on lines or over partially obstructed bolts like the one in question here today . Sorry for the fuzzy picture...in the words of Bob Cratchet..." I was making rather merry last night".

PS...you can cut a notch out of an old boxend and make yer own in a pinch....wont be a solid a buying a proper one thou...it needs to be made of high quality steel or else the wrench will just splay when heavy torque is applied .

have a good 1.....RSD.

tools.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Throw the factory tool kit away it's junk. Make up one from quality tools, you'll thank me some day.

Snap-on 12mm standard length chrome Flank Drive Plus combination wrench - SOEXM12. The open end is probably the best in the business. There are several mild serrations in the open end that help it grip almost as well as a socket.

I personally haven't had a problem with the wrench in the tool kit...

Mike

Ok, to tighten the chain.  I put bike on sidestand and a) remove cotter pin, b) loosen axel nut, then c) loosen the lock nuts... damn...the left side lock nut wants to strip when I try to loosen it.  I am using the proper wrench included in the tool kit.  

Any suggestions to fix this?
They are tight... Unfortunately, you can't get a box wrench in there. So, you want a decent wrench. I use Husky wrenches from homo depot and haven't had a problem yet.

I just used my Craftsman wrench on it and it worked fine. They thread sort of weird so you may be trying to turn it the wrong way.

Thanks for the info. RE: turn it the wrong way...I don't think these things don't have a reverse thread (so I unscrew it anti-clockwise right?)

Anyhow, I agree, a better tool is needed. However it worked the first time, though but probably started the problem then. The weird thing is that the marks to line up the sprocket on that side (non axel nut side) show a little more marks on the top than the bottom marks. Sheeiiitt. Makes me think I've gone and bent it slightly out of shape (due to wheelieing?) somehow.

I'll try another tool and then let ya know.

Here's an update: partially stripped nut and bold were eventually turned by a proper wrench. I will change the partially stripped nut and bolt when I change the tire.

What was obvious to others was not to me. After tightening the chain once with seat tools without problems, I wouldn't use the tools from under the seat unless you have no choice. I was in a parking lot and thought I could do it in a few secs.

Easy fix, with zee proper tool!

I use a regular friggin open end box end without any trouble.  WTF?
the guy had a little trouble....so what....maybe his was coroded...maybe it was this/that.....whatever...crossthreaded at the factory.....

yup ....most of us have little trouble usin' the openend

yer response is what-the-fukk.....

i see yer still an a$$hole.....some things never change .

I use a regular friggin open end box end without any trouble.  WTF?
the guy had a little trouble....so what....maybe his was coroded...maybe it was this/that.....whatever...crossthreaded at the factory.....

yup ....most of us have little trouble usin' the openend

yer response is what-the-fukk.....

i see yer still an a$$hole.....some things never change .
Do I know you Rubberbridesgown?

Back