Ticket going umm fast

paineless4u

Donating Member
Registered
Ok so I am on an open road, no traffic and me and two other guys stretch the legs on our bikes a bit. The speed is unknown but about 150-160. We all pull down a side street and are talking when the Minot PD pull behind us and lights come on and I just started to take off gloves and helmet right away. He asked us who was in front and ask if we knew how fast we were going, we all said we didn't know, so he says you were all going well over 100mph.

Bottomline since he didn't clock us he gave us a "Basic Rule Ticket" 60 bucks and 6 points.....

Have anyone ever heard of a "Basic Rule Ticket" and is it worth getting a lawyer to save on my Insurance and points on my license? I really do appreciate him for not getting us for reckless driving but to be honest if we didn't pull over he would have not have known where we went. No lights and he probably figured we were long gone, so it wasn't like we were chased, again he didn't even turn his lights on and apparently was going in the opposite direction on a road next to the main road we were on. I didn't see him until a few minutes after we pulled over and started talking.

I don't want to fight the ticket but just though maybe if I did some community service or traffic school I would be able to reduce the points thing.
rock.gif

So, how in the heck did he know it was you he saw minutes earlier? Repeat after me. It wasn't me sir. Saw a few bikes go that way just a few minutes ago must have been them. Sorry for your inconvenience officer. If you leave now you may be able to catch them.
laugh.gif

that is what the other two guys said because we started with 6 bikes all together but it was only us three when we flew by.
He wanted to know who was in front and took each of us in the back of his car and kept asking who was in the front. I should have just told him is was that bad a$$ Blk and Pur Busa of course.
blush.gif

Basic speed rule perhaps? Drive only as fast as existing conditions allow.

...and yes, lie to him. If you were out of his sight, wasnt you.

...and yes get a lawyer for that one.

can you find out if others regularly beat tickets in court?
for instance, in houston, you rarely beat em.
but in galveston, you will always beat em
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|craigntx
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145675599 -->

Yeah the Ninja said he was going 156 and I was way ahead, probably around 9500-10000 rpm top gear.
My odo doesn't work because of my 16/42 gearing.

hate to push it or fight it because the town is small and he would get pist but in an attempt to get the points thing off I would do traffic school or something.

Best explaination I could google up quickly...

"Designated and posted speeds are not the final word. All travel on public streets and highways is subject to the Basic Rule. The Basic Rule is both a safety valve and an acknowledgment that drivers are able to act independently, reasonably, and with good judgment.

The Basic Rule states that a motorist must drive at a speed that is reasonable and prudent at all times by considering other traffic, road, and weather conditions, dangers at intersections and any other conditions that affect safety and speed. The Basic Rule does not allow motorists to drive faster than the posted speed, nor does it set absolute speeds designated for all conditions. The Rule expects drivers to be responsible for their own actions.

Sudden braking at 25 mph on ice or snow in a speed zone posted at 30 mph can cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle. In this case, the ice or snow has made the posted speed unreasonable. The posted speed is in violation of the Basic Rule."

Now imho?..this "Basic Rule" traffic law borders on dictorial communism...as an officer has only but to give his word that He/She "OBSERVED" you breaking the "Basic Rue" law...as and it's sort of like a "catch all" for the ones they truely can't catch but would love to anyways. LOL!

so?..in a word?..."BASIC"ally...u r screwed.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Oh..PS...almost forgot...here's my "Advice" part you requested..SLOW DOWN!!! LOL!

Disclaimer: The last of the above was intended for purposes of humor only...sorry...couldn't resist..I know...folks in glass houses...which reminds me...got any windex? LOL!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

dayummmmmmm, thats funny.

he said he respected that fact we pulled over and mentioned he rode too, so I invited him to come out with us sometime. He said his Harley can only get to 120.....wonder how he knows huh?
rock.gif

Go to court. You won't beat the wrap but it'll be reduced. 6 points is outrageous but as you said, it could have been worse. If he clocked you he could have been a butt and taken your precious. So nonetheless you're lucky but go to court and get that reduced. You may luck up and the officer doesn't show....case tossed out.

Dont pay or admit to crap! Get a lawyer,this is a slam dunk dismissal.:;):

Unless you know what ytou are doing in court, get a lawyer. I too live in a small town. Wifey got a speeding ticket and our lawyer beat it. No reprisal from local po-po. They know its part of the game. I got nailed with speeding and recless by the county sheriff. Layer got it reduced to a parking ticket with traffic school and unsupervised probation.

We still have our preferred status with our insurance company which saves us about $80/month. Spent $275 on layer fees; money well spent.

Back