Ticked

crazyedmonton

Registered
So I'm going on vacation.
give my busa an oil chage a week ahead of time.
10w40 and a k&n oil filter.
travel 1000 klm. at 100-120 klm/hr. (little over 60 mph).
it's going great. getting 500 klm to 20 litres.
arrive at my destination.(Kelowna BC, Canada). have some relax time and go for a ride before calling it a night.
and my fu*king motor is knocking !!!!
and the oil is black !!!
bike only has 11,400 klm on it. never abused.
i'm 11 hours from home on the other side of the rocky mountains.
there is a suzuki dealer here but i'm worried that their gonna claim i abused it even though there's not one scratch on it. and it's completely factory.

if they claim it's been abused my only options are:

1) to cash in my investment and pay for the repairs.

2)call my insurance company and have them put full coverage on it and smash it into a wall.

not to mention I'm on a one week vacation and they probably have a 3 week waiting list.

pissed.gif

went to the dealer today.
he says it's the heat here in Kelowna. +32c
says to run 20W50 so i'm gonna give it a try and see what happens and post back

Hope that's it but that's only 89.6F, (if I calculated right) that is a cool summer day in Texas.
Might be time for me to switch to 20W50 and install my Muzzy fan.
Keep us updated. Hope that does the trick for you.

How heat could cause oil turn black? I`d say compression and leak down test would be wise. Every car mechanic can do it.
Check your exhaust for smoke.

I can't believe the retarded things some dealers say. If it's knocking internally the damage is done. Busa engines don't knock at 90 degrees or 110 degrees. They don't need snake oil coolant or muzzy fans. Changing to a heavier weight oil might hide the problem for a while.

Personally I would have taken the K&N oil filter out and put in an OEM Suzuki filter before taking it in. If the filter material fell apart and plugged an oil port causing bearing damage, they'll have a reason to void your warranty. Even it that didn't happen they'll still claim it and then you get to go round and round with Suzuki and K&N. Neither of which will pay for anything.

Hopefully your knock is something like an exhaust leak or the cam chain tensioner allowing a little bit of slack before self adjusting.

When i drained the oil (cold) it poured out like water.
was completely used up.
I'll never use suzuki brand oil again.
so far it's not knocking. (it wasn't a loud knock)
i'm about to take it out for a good hot ride and see how it does.

Its unbelivable you take care of a bike the proper way and they give you the shaft anyway. this is just one more reason not to waste your money on the extended warrenty

it's not even on the extended warrenty yet.
it's still knocking.
Hoping it might be a bad tank of fuel. hard to tell if i'm getting pre-ignition due to low octane or if it is actually piston knock.
when i first fire the bike up in the morning it doesn't knock.
it's not until i've ridden it for half an hour.

(SSIN @ Jun. 01 2007,19:24) When i drained the oil (cold) it poured out like water.
was completely used up.
I've used nothing but Suzuki brand oil in mine. 32,000 miles without a problem. I only use Suzuki filters as well. Are you sure you got 10w40 when you changed it before the trip?

Sounds like they used 5W30 which is too thin,In the summer here....temps reach 120 +,I switch to 20w50 for the summer and have had no problems.

Can it be possible that with the high altitude and possibly cheap gas where you are located the bike is running into detonation problems. The problem starts after the bike is ridden for a while. 89 Degrees is mild in texas but with your much higher altitude i would try the highest quality gas at the pump might even try some octane booster, just a thought.

(respivey @ Jun. 02 2007,07:34) Can it be possible that with the high altitude and possibly cheap gas  where you are located  the bike is running into detonation problems. The problem starts after the bike is ridden for a while. 89 Degrees is mild in texas  but with your much higher altitude i would try the highest quality gas at the pump might even try some octane booster, just a thought.
You got that backwards...vehicles that run on 87 octane can safely use 85 octane in high mountain areas. 87 octane is used as regular in most of the country until you get into the high altitude areas where it changes to 85.

What's happening doesn't sound good. Oil is thicker when cold, after the bike warms up it thins out. Tolerances are way off somewhere.

yup i'm sure it was 10W30 in the bike because i put it in there.
still have have a bottle.
changed the gas to 91 octane with a bit of octane booster and it still knocks once it warms up.
The suzuki shop here apon hearing that it's getting worse has booked me in for june 14th and thay say it might be longer once it's appart depending on if they have to order parts and how long they take.

My vacation ends on june 7th but i love my bike and there's no way i'm leaving it behind. So i guess i'm stuck here till it's fixed.

(BusaWhipped @ Jun. 02 2007,09:11)
(SSIN @ Jun. 01 2007,19:24) When i drained the oil (cold) it poured out like water.
was completely used up.
I've used nothing but Suzuki brand oil in mine. 32,000 miles without a problem. I only use Suzuki filters as well. Are you sure you got 10w40 when you changed it before the trip?
Same here +14K hard miles in 8 months
wink.gif

(SSIN @ Jun. 02 2007,12:10) yup i'm sure it was 10W30 in the bike because i put it in there.
still have have a bottle.
changed the gas to 91 octane with a bit of octane booster and it still knocks once it warms up.
The suzuki shop here apon hearing that it's getting worse has booked me in for june 14th and thay say it might be longer once it's appart depending on if they have to order parts and how long they take.

My vacation ends on june 7th but i love my bike and there's no way i'm leaving it behind. So i guess i'm stuck here till it's fixed.
Go rent a truck at enterprise or whoever. and drive it home.
You never know how much time it will take to fix it correctly.

Rental would be ~$50 a day or so..

Like Busawhipped, my 05 has over 30K miles on it and all I have ever used is Suzuki oil and OEM filter. Have rode in 20 deg. F weather up to 106 deg. F weather with no problems. All I ever run for fuel is 87 octane. I think vic has a good idea about loading it up and take it home for repair.

Back