Throttlemeister does it work well?

groran1000

Registered
Saw Greg had a throttlemeister for sale, now sold. It reminded me it even existed. Man, my right hand and wrist is killing me on longer rides. I bought the ones that you rest your wrist on, the one that installed between the grip and handlebar, the real good one. Well none work or don't hold the throttle still for any length of time. Thought about getting the universal cruise control too. If this TM works and holds, I'll get it instead. Any experiences out there?

I’ve had one on my Busa almost since new in 2006. Works perfectly for an occasional wrist rest and crossing Nevada, wow, was it great! You could leave it ‘on’ all the time as long as you remember the spring return has been turned off, like an old Harley throttle.

Grip wear plays part it the TM's ability to hold. There is a shim stack to adjust in the TM . Owing real cruise control i'm not sure I would go with anything else now .

Grip wear plays part it the TM's ability to hold. There is a shim stack to adjust in the TM . Owing real cruise control i'm not sure I would go with anything else now .

Not sure that’s correct as the shims decide how it works (from the throttle sleeve) and they’re not connected to the grips. It’s been years since I installed it though but I added new grips when I installed the HeliBars and no changes were made to the TM.

Not sure that’s correct as the shims decide how it works (from the throttle sleeve) and they’re not connected to the grips. It’s been years since I installed it though but I added new grips when I installed the HeliBars and no changes were made to the TM.
you can add internal shims to contact grip better ;) , but as grip wears it starts to slip on the TM

you can add internal shims to contact grip better ;) , but as grip wears it starts to slip on the TM

Rereading this it occurred to me that the TM’s shims make contact with the throttle sleeve not the actual grip that we hold onto. I suppose if the sleeve wears out the TM would have to be adjusted accordingly, or, a new sleeve should be installed. The throttle sleeve, grip and TM were transferred to the HeliBars untouched. I lucked out when I installed the TM as I got the number of shims right the very first time. Wasn’t so lucky the other two times I installed it on other bikes.

Reactions: c10
Rereading this it occurred to me that the TM’s shims make contact with the throttle sleeve not the actual grip that we hold onto. I suppose if the sleeve wears out the TM would have to be adjusted accordingly, or, a new sleeve should be installed. The throttle sleeve, grip and TM were transferred to the HeliBars untouched. I lucked out when I installed the TM as I got the number of shims right the very first time. Wasn’t so lucky the other two times I installed it on other bikes.
I use the throttle lock that that locks against the brake lever but really wanna set off the TM, but I was thinking same way as you I thought they went against the tube not the grip. I actually noticed the other day I was having issues with my throttle taking a little longer then usual to drop back down, at first thought it was the different gloves then realized the grip had slid down enough to touch the bar end.

I use the throttle lock that that locks against the brake lever but really wanna set off the TM, but I was thinking same way as you I thought they went against the tube not the grip. I actually noticed the other day I was having issues with my throttle taking a little longer then usual to drop back down, at first thought it was the different gloves then realized the grip had slid down enough to touch the bar end.

Never heard of one that locks against the brake lever but I did have a good thumb lock piece on my 82 CBX and I liked it a lot however, that kind actually locks the throttle making it hard to control the throttle w/o releasing it. The TM applies pressure to the sleeve but is fully operational albeit sticky until released. Kinda fun waving to riders with my right hand during or right after passing.

I like the Kaoko throttle lock. Same idea as throttlemeister but I find it easier to set. I’ve used both. They won’t hold steady speed like cruise control but will take stress off hands.

Never heard of one that locks against the brake lever but I did have a good thumb lock piece on my 82 CBX and I liked it a lot however, that kind actually locks the throttle making it hard to control the throttle w/o releasing it. The TM applies pressure to the sleeve but is fully operational albeit sticky until released. Kinda fun waving to riders with my right hand during or right after passing.

One I have is like this one, on my trip to Atlanta from Detroit I had to stop somewhere in Kentucky and start calling bike dealers till I found one that had something I could use. Works nice for a quick relax of the right arm.

Looks like TM is out of business. There are a few TM out there , but they are not for the Busa. Anyone have one for sale?

Looks like TM is out of business. There are a few TM out there , but they are not for the Busa. Anyone have one for sale?

There’s bound to be one for sale somewhere, even new but a used take off should be as good as long as it comes with the proper bolt and set of shims. I’ve heard the expensive Kaoko version is pretty good too.

Back