Throttle Valve Syncronization

LCW

Registered
I'm in the process of learning here, so bear with me. I bought a set of carb sync gauges so I can do the Throttle Valve Syncronization, as specified in the shop manual. I got to the point where it's time to connect the gauges to the throttle bodies, but noticed that the 2 and 3 bodies don't have an extra vacuum nipple for the gauges - just the one that connects to the others. From what I can see in the photo in the manual, there should be two nipples on all of the throttle bodies.

Can I just splice a tee into the single vacuum tube, or do I need to take those throttle bodies off, drill holes in them, and press in an extra nipple? Or am I really missing something here?

I looked at the service manual ('99-''00), and it shows two(2) nipples on each throttle body. I wouldn't be drilling into the throttle bodies just yet. Someone will have an answer for you soon.

My '03 busa is at the shop right now so I can't go out and look at it. Sorry.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1069830033 -->

Here's a photo from my exhaust install that shows my '03 throttle body vacuum nipple set-up. It only has two nipples on the #1 and #4 t-bodies. #'s 2 and 3 only have one. Wish I had an '03 shop manual so I could help you out here. Maybe someone (cheese? :super: ) will weigh in with the solution soon. ;)

IMG_011.jpg

Mine look just like BT's (thanks for the photo). I have the '03 shop manual, and it indicates that the #2 and 3 bodies should have a 2nd capped nipple, but as you can see in BT's photo, that's not the case on (at least 2) '03 models. Maybe it's just the 2-tone grey ones :D

Well, I was impatient, so I yanked the vacuum manifold(?) lines leading to the #2 and 3 bodies, plugged them, and hooked my gauges up to the single nipple, and balanced them like that for now. Not sure what a UNISYNC is, but I'll look into that.

Any comments on my workaround? Or a better way?

Thanks guys :beerchug:

I got a set of gauges at Cycle Gear for $50. I think the mercury set is around $40.

maybe a bit old
anyone can advise what is the level to set it at to sync??
or as long as all the 4 cylinder are inline it will do?
too high will it drain more fuel? too low bike die off?

advise pls

Early models (99-02)had the extra nipples. Later years they did away with them. JC just added Cal. models have them. Learn every day huh?

r8

Here's a photo from my exhaust install that shows my '03 throttle body vacuum nipple set-up. It only has two nipples on the #1 and #4 t-bodies. #'s 2 and 3 only have one. Wish I had an '03 shop manual so I could help you out here. Maybe someone (cheese?
rock.gif
) will weigh in with the solution soon.
winkold.gif
Clean machine! That's the way they shoud be.
thumb_up.gif

cool.gif

r8

I was under the impression that, if you removed the PAIR Valve and associated parts, and if you plugged the PAIR valve holes, you didnt have to sync the t-bodies any longer. My 07 manual calls for t-body maint on PAIR equipped models only. Dont know how true this is, but it seems logical to me.

All bikes are PAIR equipped. If you removed the PAIR you still need to synch the throttle bodies. The only thing the PAIR did was inject fresh air into the exhaust. The PAIR has nothing to do with throttle synchs.

Don't drill extra holes in your throttle bodies.

Back