throttle seemed like it just opened while riding

ruck

Registered
Ok guys, today im just riding along shifted into 3rd and it felt like the throttle tried to open on its own. It scared the crap out of me. I chalked it up to an inadvertent move on my part until i turned onto another road shifted up and it did it again. What the heck is goin on? its a 2005 with 25000 miles and i have owned it since 2006.

If the throttle is returning slow the revs won't come down like they should which would give the feeling like you're describing. Make sure that the throttle snaps closed on it's own. If not then you could have a cable sticking or starting to fray inside the housing.

the throttle snaps back perfectly every time. It happens when the throttle is rolled on and engaged.

So it suddenly surges forward as you roll on? First thing I'd do is check your TPS. If it has a bad spot as you're rolling on it affects the ECM making it think that the throttle is open more or less than actual. Either you're feeling that fault or the surge as it comes back to normal.

Get the engine up to operating temp then check the TPS base setting, you can do that on the dash by accessing diagnostic. If that's good then I'd do a sweep test with a voltage meter. If you see anything other than a nice linear increase in voltage I'd be suspicious.

ok guys heres what i found. on the day in question i was riding with a brand new pair of joe rocket street boots. today i lifted the tank and checked the cables, pulley and all was ok. i put on the old oxtar boots that i have been riding in since 2006 and i could not duplicate the problem. could it be that i was not feeling second gear correctly? could that surge or sudden jerk be second or third engaging as the rpms rose? is it possible all this could happen if the gear is not fully engaged?

if its in between gears usually the gear box makes lots of noise. once and a while i get that between 5 and 6 but i've never had your issue?

check your bar ends and make sure they arent snagging your grip and if you have a throttle meister check and see if if its engaging

Also check your cables (tightness vs slack) on both ends.

I know it was mentioned before about not closing properly, but check the cable because if you have little slack at your bars for example or if it is not routed correctly it may pull the cable when you turn even though it normally snaps closed once released.

Back