Throttle Grip install Question

sideswipe

Registered
Do I use grip glue to secure the throttle side grip or not? I'm hearing opinions from both camps...why or why not? I know glue can get stuck in the throttle sleeve and bind the throttle....HELP!

I didn't use any when I intalled my throttle meister. The grip doesn't seem to slip any so I don't see a point in it but that's just me.

i do but i dont cover the hole shaft, just about half maybe a little less and then push the grip on, if you see any up by the controls just get a paper towl and some cleaner to remove it !!

i do but i dont cover the hole shaft, just about half maybe a little less and then push the grip on, if you see any up by the controls just get a paper towl and some cleaner to remove it !!

Just a bit to be sure. It will slip tiny amounts if not secured.

i would apply glue but don't get carried away like someone mentioned above. start in the center of the sleeve and add a few dabs. :thumbsup:

Never applied glue when I installed new grips. My opinion is if it starts to slip(2k+ mi now), I'll take care of the problem. It's not real hard to pull a grip IMO. It's not like it's going to spin freely,trapping you on side of road.

Good Luck which ever route you go. :beerchug:

I used a little epoxy when I installed my Hot Grips. Enough that it won't slip but also not too much so that if I need to, I have the option of removing it.

i thought busas didnt need grip glue as the wild eyed heavy grip needed by anyone to compensate for the massive acceleration...causes the grips to stay stationary

I removed the grips and it appears that the clutch side had glue applied form the factory whereas the throttle side did not have glue applied from the factory. *sigh* what to do, what to do...lol ???

just install your grips without first. If after a few days you notice some slip then just roll the grip up from the end and put a few dabs of glue on it and roll the grip back down over it.

Use hairspray. It's slick at 1st, makes it real easy to slide the grips on, then it hardens, making it tight from slipping on the bar.

I removed the grips and it appears that the clutch side had glue applied form the factory whereas the throttle side did not have glue applied from the factory. *sigh* what to do, what to do...lol ???
Scrape off the old glue w/ a razorblade or something. Then use hairspray.

so what's the "best" heairspray to use :rofl: (I can see a whole new run threads on this subject). :rofl: I prefer the pump bottles over the aerosole. Aussie makes a good level 5 hair spray. Anyone try Gel?

OK...installed the clutch side with some grip glue, used hairspray on the clutch side to slide it on easy...thanks for all the tips guys.

There are many types of grips,i have seen grips with lines in between them.They uses thin wires to wrap along the lines of them.I am using BMW universal grips so far so good,lesser vibration and it feels way much better.

I would go with what Comutta said to do. Just install the grips and ride it around the neighborhood for a while and see what happens. If they start to slip you can always take them off and put a little grip glue on them.

I use rubbing alcohol to put them on then I use safety wire. Depending on how hot it is, it might take a bit for the alcohol to dry.

I glued mine but also had the throttle tube off so let it dry made sure no dangly glue pieces were hanging and put it back on.

Aquanet hairspray seems to be the best "garage" hairspray. we use it on the charge pipes on the trucks to help keep from blowing the boots off at high boost

Back