Throttle cable removal help

03busaman

Need for Speed
Donating Member
Registered
Im swapping out my throttle grip and trying to find the best way to remove the cables without screwing with the adjustment to much whayts the best way?

If all you are doing is replacing the throttle tube or the rubber grip you won't have to adjust anything. Take the black switch piece(s) apart - remove the cables - slide off the throttle tube - do your stuff and put back in reverse order. The cables are not under pressure so should just slide out of their holders. I've installed Heli-bars on mine and never had to adjust anything at all. Should be a snap.

If all you are doing is replacing the throttle tube or the rubber grip you won't have to adjust anything. Take the black switch piece(s) apart - remove the cables - slide off the throttle tube - do your stuff and put back in reverse order. The cables are not under pressure so should just slide out of their holders. I've installed Heli-bars on mine and never had to adjust anything at all. Should be a snap.

the cables are not just sliding out unless im missing something they do have tension on them ?

well it looks like this

100_2569.jpg

Take out the 3 screws from under the killswitch housing (red switch).
Take off the housing and the cables should come off if you slip out the barrel ends by pushing them out from the side of the throttle tube. If you need slack use the adjusters.
If you need even more slack, take off the rightside fairing and disconnect the cables the same way from the throttle body.

I'm guessing it's a one piece grip where the tube is part of the grip that you're tryin to put on.

Take out the 3 screws from under the killswitch housing (red switch).
Take off the housing and the cables should come off if you slip out the barrel ends by pushing them out from the side of the throttle tube. If you need slack use the adjusters.
If you need even more slack, take off the rightside fairing and disconnect the cables the same way from the throttle body.

I'm guessing it's a one piece grip where the tube is part of the grip that you're tryin to put on.

Yes mike thats exactly what it is so your saying the cable tube will push out cause they are in there pretty good I didn;t want to force it but if thats all it is im gonna yank on em

Yes mike thats exactly what it is so your saying the cable tube will push out cause they are in there pretty good I didn;t want to force it but if thats all it is im gonna yank on em
Yea, the metal "cylinder/barrel" ends should slide out from the side. A small flathead screwdriver might help. Either way, there is tension on the cable, so I would def say to loosen em up and give the cables some slack.

Last edited:
You can re-adjust the throttle cables pretty easily. Loosen them up a few turns and it will be easier.

Yeh that sounds good those old ones have a deep groove the cable sits in i think thats part of the problem no slack at all the new ones are smooth all the way to the end where the cables pop in
Thanks guys:beerchug:

Last edited:
Back