Throttle cable adjustment

mynewbusa

Registered
I searched the forum for a post on throttle cable adjustment and haven't found what I'm looking for. I was wondering how much, if any, slack should be in the throttle cables? I have this annoyiny little sag or hesitation at low speed or low idle. I've played around with my Power Commander thinking it was it was a lean condition. That solved nothing. I removed the TRE that I have, and then I noticed quite a bit of slack in the throttle cables. I doubt thats the cause of my concern with the sag, but I want to adjust them anyway to see if that helps. I even took the marble mod out of the air box hose. Any takers on this one?!

I believe this info is in the manual, it's 1/8" or something like that (don't have the manual on me right now, but I'll check later if nobody else gets back to you.)

Are you sure your throttle bodies are in sync? That might cause hesitation at small throttle openings.

According to the manual, if doing a minor cable adjustment, adjustments are made near the throttle, the slack should between 2.0-4.0mm(0.08-0.16 in). If doing a major cable adjustment, were adjustments are made next to the fuel tank, the slack should be same as the minor adjusment slack, 2.0-4.0mm(0.08-0.16 in).

I believe this info is in the manual, it's 1/8" or something like that (don't have the manual on me right now, but I'll check later if nobody else gets back to you.)

Are you sure your throttle bodies are in sync? That might cause hesitation at small throttle openings.
I'm assuming they are in sync. I had the first service done a few weeks ago and assumed they did it then. I have about 1700 miles on it now. I didn't notice it much until I put on the Yoshi RS-3 slip-ons and a BMC air filter. I'm thinking I'll unhook the PCIII also to see if that makes a difference. It only seems to do it when the bike is warm or hot, in slow traffic or idling situations when you have to uses the clutch alot. I have to rev up the RPM's to take off or it sort of feels like its not getting gas. It'n doesn't seem to be anything critical, but now that I've noticed it I seem to dwell on it! I adjusted the cables last night, I think they had more play in them than what you guys have said. It's still apart in the garage, I'll double check them tonite!

What's the bike idling at? Did you adjust the fast idle screw?

Your first throttle body sync should be 7500 miles, but usually for some "strange" reason some of them by-pass synching the throttle bodies... Also, did load and re-load your PCIII?

What's the bike idling at? Did you adjust the fast idle screw?

Your first throttle body sync should be 7500 miles, but usually for some "strange" reason some of them by-pass synching the throttle bodies... Also, did load and re-load your PCIII?
my idle is between 950-1000 rpm. I really haven't touched that at all. I did reload the map on the PCIII off Power Commander website. I don't want to get too crazy with this for fear I'll screw something up. Other than the off idle sag the bike runs great. I even got 50mpg on my last trip which suprised me, of course the speedo is off, so hard telling the actual mpg! I'm contemplating having it custom mapped at a cycle shop near me. Maybe with a custom map it will help clear it up. $450 for the dyno testing and mapping. I don't know if thats good or not, but I've heard good things about the shop. Maybe they can figure out the idle thing.

<!--EDIT|mynewbusa
Reason for Edit: "can't spell sometimes!!"|1152303119 -->

set it to 1200-1300 rpms
smile.gif

Back