Thousands of dollars of reasons why I won't buy a BMW1000rr

groran1000

Registered
Out of curiosity, I looked up parts prices for the bmw. Now I considered buying one and I am not bashing this bike as I'm sure it's a great bike. Side cover $850 ?? ???, crankshaft $1800, whole engine $13,500. Needless to say ALL the other parts were through the roof. This was at I think bike bandit. You think this is for real?? I mean drop the bike by accident and crack the side cover and that much money?? I think the horn was $212. I would have to have warranty and full insurance coverage as long as I owned it and after warranty, sell it.

Probably true..... I was on a Ducati site looking @ add ons & such for a Panigale and the prices on simple things were astronomical!! :laugh:

But honestly that's what I expected. The phrase "Pay 2 Play" comes 2 mind. It's a frickin BMW....:whistle: no different than the cars etc. it's gonna be made well but it ain't gonna be cheap. Toys like those whether 4 wheeled or 2 aren't 4 everybody and if you flinch @ the price of the bike then it's probably not 4U cause even if you can save up sell a kidney &pick up a 3rd job just to scrape enough $$$ to buy 1 the insurance maintenance will BREAK you.

Yep, if ya have to ask ya probably cannot afford it. If you want to run w/ the big dogs...you'll need to learn how to pee on the big trees. :laugh:

At 850 bucks for a side cover I think you are required to pee on more than trees.

Yep, if ya have to ask ya probably cannot afford it. If you want to run w/ the big dogs...you'll need to learn how to pee on electric fences. :laugh:

cheers
ken

At 850 bucks for a side cover I think you are required to pee on more than trees.

cheers
ken

Funny you mention that....:whistle: I once dared my younger brother to do just that....:laugh: I could only get him to touch it with a wet piece of blade grass.

Dealers could probably give away bikes and make all their money off of replacement parts. They are all quite expensive when you buy OEM parts across the counter.

Look into parts for a Lamborghini, Holy mother of god. The fender for a civic is something like 100, but on a lamb closer to 5000. Granted its carbon fiber but still. High end toys come with a high end price

-D

The Busa can be expensive like that too. Price the parts to completely rebuild a cylinder head. You will have at least $1k in parts alone, then you'll have another $5-800 in machine work. For a stock head! Double these costs for a fully worked Busa head. Then if you have pay labor to get the work done that will be another $1k

Just by a stolen one off eBay for a few hundred :laugh: I have a couple of wealthy friends that own HP4s, one of them owns one for the track and one for the street ....

The Busa can be expensive like that too. Price the parts to completely rebuild a cylinder head. You will have at least $1k in parts alone, then you'll have another $5-800 in machine work. For a stock head! Double these costs for a fully worked Busa head. Then if you have pay labor to get the work done that will be another $1k

Now take that same work needed and have it done on a Ducati or BMW........ Those prices will triple @ a minimum!!! So in perspective it would be a bargain 2 have your busa worked on and seeing how stout/durable these bikes are and the miles guys rack up on them it not likely your busa will be in the shop on the regular.

Ill go ahead and bash it.it look boring unless you have a great paint job,its too small for the average man,it cost too much,quickshifters are for people who are dragging for money or cant ride or both,wheelie control is for pansies i use my right hand,i been doing fine without traction control,the fairings dont lend themselves to custom artwork. So all in all ill stick with my busa and upgrade when gen3 comes lol

Ill go ahead and bash it.it look boring unless you have a great paint job,its too small for the average man,it cost too much,quickshifters are for people who are dragging for money or cant ride or both,wheelie control is for pansies i use my right hand,i been doing fine without traction control,the fairings dont lend themselves to custom artwork. So all in all ill stick with my busa and upgrade when gen3 comes lol

Don't ever ride one on the track, and you'll be just fine thinking all the above :)

I believe in controlling my bike not the other way around.relying too much on tech diminishes your skill.besides it takes all the fun out of it.

No need to add anything because it is already beyond my capabilities. 193HP, Brembo's that stop on a dime. Keep it @ the highest setting "Slick Mode" and you still have to manually control wheelies, etc. Just nice to have the option for those that might need a little help. But I agree, parts are way too expensive, to go along with any kind of maintenance. You can't even change the oil without a special $300 tool to reset the "Service" light.

Thing is, you can always find reasonable replacement parts on ebay since we have those noobs that needed a little help, but thought they could manage a 440 lbs bike with 193 HP. I keep mine stock and still manage to hang with the big boys, unless they are on a GIXXER 1K that reads "Eat Me", although I can't recall any that pull away on the straights.

IMG_1609[1].jpg

The Beemer is to much money. It's a nice bike, but you don't see any performance until you are in the upper rpm.
There was dyno comparison between the Beemer and cbr1000rr,both all stock.
The horsepower that the CBR produces in the midrange rpms, 4000-9000 is more than the Beemer.
Now after those 9000 rpm the Beemer is really where it stands for and smokes the CBR.makes much more horses till the redline on where the horse power on CBR drops after 12k rpms.
How often you gone be above 9000 rpms on the street??
I had the CBR 1000RR all tuned and modified and it made 205 horse on crank.
It was very very fast bike.plus shaved a lot of weight from it.
But when something starts to happen, like surging,sputtering or else,you don't know where to start to look for problems, maybe it's just simple wire or connector the screws you.
That's why I sold it and got my busa.
I love the smooth linear power,it big and comfy,more power and torque than I will ever need.
I have the stock mufflers and it's quiet and I enjoy it so much.
I just don't like that clutch noise that makes.

Back