Thoughts on Language

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
So I am at a conference with members of several other countries. I was thinking about the thread concerning immigration and one of the things that stood out was "if they come here they should learn English, period". I don't want to debate that but I was thinking that we as Americans seem to expect everyone else to speak English and we can't seem to be bothered to learn other languages. For anyone who has lived in Europe it is not uncommon for individual to be able to speak 3-4 languages and learning languages begins early in school.

Why is it that we place so little importance in learning other languages?

Can I just walk up and pimp slap you? That way we can cut the chase and declare it a fair fight..and we dont have to argue..:poke::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::moon:

This should cause a stir :laugh:

Americans are pretty arrogant; we truly feel we don't need to do anymore than we do, period...having said that, I've thought for years now (since having kids and seeing how interested they are in other languages) that we should be teaching other languages, starting at an early age. Our education system is already so messed up though, underpaid teachers, the system is so focused on SOLs so the schools get funding, then the whole attitude that we just don't have room for any more learning...

I wish we did offer other languages to our children, as a normal part of their education...and don't start when they hit high school and don't care; start when their young and it's exciting and easier to learn...

Having said that, I do think if you're going to live HERE, you should speak English. I would expect Americans to know Japanese if they live in Japan, or Chinese in China. I firmly believe if you opt to live outside of your home country, you should conform to where you're going, not expect everyone there to conform to you...

Just my :2cents:

If I were to go to a Non-english speaking country I wouldnt expect them to cater to me, Just like I dont think we should for them.

Learn the language.

If I were to go to a Non-english speaking country I wouldnt expect them to cater to me, Just like I dont think we should for them.

Learn the language.

:thumbsup:

Learn the language.
I don't think they ever expected us to cater to them either but GUESS WHAT. We do and it's our own dern fault. I barely speak english much less spanish which is becoming the no.1 language in the area I live in. Oh Well, They will work hard. No hard feeling anyone, It's only my opinion.

Whoa i was not asking about what anyone should do if they come here. However what is wrong with a country being multilingual. Look at Canada and most other countries in the world.
Posted via Mobile Device

What I don't like is that we don't offer our children in school to even opt for a foreign language until middle school. Other contries start the whole process of learning foreign languages at a much younger age.

I agree that you should learn the language you plan on working and/or living in.

English is considered by many foreign countries as an international language so alot of places post information in multi languages. In English speaking writing countries is doesn't make much sense to pick another foreign language as an international language. Could you imagine the fights that would take place to determine which language or languages to use? We would end up with every language possible so no one is offended.

Whoa i was not asking about what anyone should do if they come here. However what is wrong with a country being multilingual. Look at Canada and most other countries in the world.
Posted via Mobile Device

English is considered by many foreign countries as an international language so alot of places post information in multi languages. In English speaking writing countries is doesn't make much sense to pick another foreign language as an international language. Could you imagine the fights that would take place to determine which language or languages to use? We would end up with every language possible so no one is offended.

good point.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think we were such a dominate force back in the day and of course the English colonized most of the world. Spanish at one point was pretty predominate, and then French. Anywho I don't believe we need to be multilingual. I would love to be fluent in a number of predominant languages. I really, really need to speak better Spanish.

And yes, you need to expose your kids to foreign, oh sorry Dino, international languages when they're very young to wire those brains. Dora is one great example.....

Alright go ahead and PM an admin :laugh:

Last edited:
What I don't like is that we don't offer our children in school to even opt for a foreign language until middle school. Other contries start the whole process of learning foreign languages at a much younger age.

I agree that you should learn the language you plan on working and/or living in.

Depends on the area. French was curriculum for me starting in 2nd grade but other schools in the parish didn't have it. My kids had spanish in 4th and 5th grade in Arkansas. But I think what you say is more prevalent.

My daughter is fascinated with language and currently has 3 years of spanish 2 years of french and is attempting to learn german on her own because it is not offered here and she goes to school on a college campus.

Why is it that we place so little importance in learning other languages?

Perhaps because we place so much more importance on running fast, catching balls, looking pretty, being popular, displaying piety, and creating an illusion of wealth than we do on development of science, education, and skills.

Reminds me of the age old question:

A person who speaks three languages is trilingual.

A person who speaks two languages is bilingual.

What's the word for a person who speaks one language?

American.

Overfed, undernourished.
Over entertained and under educated.

I'm with VABusa. There's a lot of miisplaced arrogance from a society where 80% of its citizens do not have a passport and have never spent time anywhere else to gain a little perspective and humility.

We can do better. In the near future, we'll be required to in order to hold on to our current standard of living. Many of us are already drowning in the globalization wave that caught them building sandcastles on the beach.

Perhaps because we place so much more importance on running fast, catching balls, looking pretty, being popular, displaying piety, and creating an illusion of wealth than we do on development of science, education, and skills.

Reminds me of the age old question:

A person who speaks three languages is trilingual.

A person who speaks two languages is bilingual.

What's the word for a person who speaks one language?

American.

Overfed, undernourished.
Over entertained and under educated.

I'm with VABusa. There's a lot of miisplaced arrogance from a society where 80% of its citizens do not have a passport and have never spent time anywhere else to gain a little perspective and humility.

We can do better. In the near future, we'll be required to in order to hold on to our current standard of living. Many of us are already drowning in the globalization wave that caught them building sandcastles on the beach.

Very good post...

A friend of mine lives in Corpus Christi... It's mandated that kids learn Spanish...starting in 1st grade.

Of course, being down there, I know there's other reasons for that to be occurring...and I'm not going there. :whistle:

Back