Thoughts on Language

What I don't like is that we don't offer our children in school to even opt for a foreign language until middle school. Other contries start the whole process of learning foreign languages at a much younger age.

I agree that you should learn the language you plan on working and/or living in.

+1. Studies have shown that most intensive period for language development first three years when the entire brain is used for language processing. The brain starts to specialize, and by the time one reached adulthood, the language center is located in only a small portion of the brain in a single hemisphere. That's why it is so difficult for adults to learn new languages when kids can pick them up pretty quickly. But like Commuta_Busa menioned, what would we choose as second/third languages in elementary schools?

+1. Studies have shown that most intensive period for language development first three years when the entire brain is used for language processing. The brain starts to specialize, and by the time one reached adulthood, the language center is located in only a small portion of the brain in a single hemisphere. That's why it is so difficult for adults to learn new languages when kids can pick them up pretty quickly. But like Commuta_Busa menioned, what would we choose as second/third languages in elementary schools?

+1 I came to mention the brain thing but you beat me too it! :thumbsup:

Este tema es muy complicado por varias razones. La respuesta de F=MA es la mas logica y legitima. Lamentablemente, nuestra sociedad tiene intereses egoistas que por lo pronto causa que el sistema educativo no ofresca lenguajes estranjeros.

Si el padredetres necesita aprender el espanol por causa de su profesion.

In puerto Rico when you go to school you don't have an option you have to take an Inglish class from fist grade to your senior year. so we grow up w/ 2 laguage. That we don't used all the time is a different thing, but there is no other choice.

Sí, es un asunto muy complicado. F = MA tiene algunas razones legítimas buenas en su respuesta, pero es steriotypical. Nuestro sistema escolar chupa. Necesitarlo para su trabajo no debe ser la única razón para aprender otro idioma.

Sí, es un asunto muy complicado. F = MA tiene algunas razones legítimas buenas en su respuesta, pero es steriotypical. Nuestro sistema escolar chupa. Necesitarlo para su trabajo no debe ser la única razón para aprender otro idioma.

Claro, pero no mames..

Oui, c'est une affaire très compliquée. F = MA a quelques bonnes raisons légitimes dans sa réponse, mais est steriotypical. Notre système scolaire absorbe. Avoir besoin de lui pour son travail ne doit pas il être la seule raison pour apprendre une autre langue.

i will try adress some these i have seen already....

1. learn english...the whole " i don't wanna press 1 for english" argument is flawed. we have lots of discussions about our rights, the constution and such....especially the bill of rights. english is not the national language, our fore-fathers....the genius's that gave us the rights to bear arms, protest the government, protect from from illegal searches and siezures did not see a need for one language....

all races and nationalities immigrating to this country have dealt with it, some choose to learn english some do not. some business choose to attract ESL customers some do not...it is capitalism, it is the american way.

2. public schools teaching other languages....while in a perfect world we would be able to teach children in multiple languages, give them art classes and music appreciation classes....but the reality is the schools have a hard enough time teaching our kids how to read and write. if its not drugs, violence, sex or guns.......its poor parents that are destroying our schools.

when our parents went to school, if a child was failing they got punished....today if a kid is failing, the parents call the school and complain that the teacher hates thier child.

Back