Thoughts on Avon Storm 2 ultras...

Rothman

"Professional Lurker"
Registered
Just over 5k miles on these guys now and I have mixed feelings. They are fantastic for wear characteristics which makes them a great touring tire. They never have enough grip for spirited rides though. I find that if I grab a hanfull of throttle they break loose 90% of the time even after they have been ridden hard and heated for what should be more than long enough. The center compound is freakin hard. I think it's too hard. I commute mostly but, that being said, my commute is on a road that follows the Alps and is twisty as all get out. Never really had an issue with the side compound giving out in a turn but with a hard throttle on after the bike is straight they fall on their face. The Italian roads are made with smooth river rock rather than crushed rock so grip is limited anyway but these tires magnify that. If I rode a concours or st1300, they would be money. I'm starting to get aggrivated with the lack of traction at this point and they may just end up coming off before their day has come. Great for touring, anything past that look elsewhere.

I run em and love em. No issues. More miles out of these tires than any others and I have leaned her over more than a few times. I would soften them up some and go 36/39

if you are willing to give up MILEAGE (for which the Avon Storms are designed for), then there are other tires designed specificaly for grip/traction

I had mine at 36 both front and rear and never had a problem on the dragon. Granted I wasn't ripping it up but they never broke loose. I've got almost 9k on mine now and they look fine almost new.

I run them no issues, but If you're having issues and tire pressure doesn't correct it you might consider buying a softer compound tire before disaster strikes.

Yeah, those pressures are cold. I'll lower them a bit and see how she reacts. Thanks for the input guys.

I've been running Avon tires (Azaro, Storm, Storm 2) for the past 80,000 miles. Wet, dry, touring, carving, commuting. I'm not the fastest guy around, but I've not had a grip issue with them under any conditions.

I lowered the pressures and they still let loose too easily on the italian road surfaces. I know the roads a very slick here but I never would have imagined that they're as bad as they are. I'm looking for new tires right now. I just don't feel safe anymore. If/when I get back stateside, the storm 2's will be remounted.

arent those the tires pashnit runs?

I'm happy with them. Many miles. Many smiles.

7993774405_49535f1344_b.jpg

6723830335_b44d74277d_b.jpg

i went through a few tires b4 i got to the Avons. Am on my second set. I had BT0..watever they were and didnt like em for my riding style.

Just ordered a set of Q2's. Don't really care about mileage at this point, I just want traction for the last year I have here. As you guys have said, I'm sure the storms are fantastic for the states but, these roads are far to slick for them. It's like ice skating even trying to walk on the roads when they're wet. I almost fell today just getting out of my car after a brief storm, foot slid right out from under me. I think the Q2's should do me justice at least when the roads are dry.

try Dunlop Sportmax sportsmart, gives you good mileage and grip

my friend has just got 8,000 on rear of busa , well squared off , the front lasted 8,000 as well.

i run PR3's get good grip on UK roads but i need wet tyres too.

i get 9,000 miles from fronts and about 5,000 from the rear anf have done trackdays too, might try the above dunlops next.

I have currently have 14.7K on the front, and 9.9K on the rear. All at 42 / 42. Front has some life left, rear is almost to the Wear Indicators.

Back