Thompson 240 Kit - Chain hits back tire......? Pics....

Thanks, Rooster for the pics and the tips....

Air grinder- good deal. After I sold my last compressor set-up I never got around to buying another (got too used to the found space lol) - of course I need it now.

I'm gonna probably get to this today or tomorrow. I need to be riding by the weekend!!

I used washers between front and rear sprocket. It offset almost 1/16 inch, just enough so i feel safer. We're installing a Trac 240 on wife's busa now though.

i dont think people use front offset sprockets on gen2 240 kits, move the spacer from the front sprocket. stock the spacer is in the outside of the sprocket move it to the inside it will bring it out a tap i seen it done it works. hope that works.

Thats exactly what has to be done on gen2 at least with the ballz 240 kits, I questioned it when I did mine and Josh over there cleared things up for me. On their kit anyway, fairly certain it would make sense on other brands

Note these pics are with my stock arm and sprockets so just look at the frame and not its relationship to the chain. I went a bit higher than I needed to aswell, if I was to install another kit, I'd get it all on and ready to go then use a marker to note where the chain passes the frame and add a bit to the top and bottom of the marks to allow for suspension travel.
It's a pain to remove the arm again to grind, but its really hard to get in there with it on. Not tryin to Dunce ya, just tryin to save you the time and prevent some errors I made when I went at this with no advice. Post up with anymore questions. :thumbsup:

View attachment 261915

View attachment 261916

Hey boss was urs on a gen 1?, I heard on the gen2 from people that have done 240s on both of them that they didnt have to take as much material from frame on the gen2? Not sure if this is correct but I have heard that and if its true he shouldnt have to take as much as urs that u ref. Also why r u running ur stock arm again?? Did u have issues with ur kit or just tired of the look?? Now that I think about it werent u trying to sell urs? If so did u get what u wanted? Also on my 08 I had to take some of my front sprocket cover off to, rubbed a lil... good luck I hope u figure it out

Hey boss was urs on a gen 1?, I heard on the gen2 from people that have done 240s on both of them that they didnt have to take as much material from frame on the gen2? Not sure if this is correct but I have heard that and if its true he shouldnt have to take as much as urs that u ref. Also why r u running ur stock arm again?? Did u have issues with ur kit or just tired of the look?? Now that I think about it werent u trying to sell urs? If so did u get what u wanted? Also on my 08 I had to take some of my front sprocket cover off to, rubbed a lil... good luck I hope u figure it out

I did take a bit much, was just tryin to give a reference,,I think I told him to go a bit shallower. I did sell it, I had it for 2 seasons and my riding style has changed, more into corners and less into cruising. I got what I had into it less some powdercoating I had done, so it worked out for me and the member that bought it.

I did take a bit much, was just tryin to give a reference,,I think I told him to go a bit shallower. I did sell it, I had it for 2 seasons and my riding style has changed, more into corners and less into cruising. I got what I had into it less some powdercoating I had done, so it worked out for me and the member that bought it.
Nice!!! Im glad it worked out for, you. Its always in the back of my head that I put that much money into that kit and what if I dont like how it rides? Its been on since october but there is still to much damn snow on the ground I still havent ridden it yet. O well just means ill have to buy another new busa and keep it stock and have a wide tire 08 haha, some how I dont think my wife will go for that one. Haha

Nice!!! Im glad it worked out for, you. Its always in the back of my head that I put that much money into that kit and what if I dont like how it rides? Its been on since october but there is still to much damn snow on the ground I still havent ridden it yet. O well just means ill have to buy another new busa and keep it stock and have a wide tire 08 haha, some how I dont think my wife will go for that one. Haha

Im sure you've done your research and I think Ive even posted along with you before, but Ill say it again anyway for future readers. My opinion on a 240 is, If you drag kness and love twisties, you'll hate a 240 kit. City riding and main st criusers with some touring and gentle widing roads will be just fine with it. I took mine to the Dragan 2yrs running and had a fine time with it, just needed a bit more effort to make it do what I wanted it to do. Hope the snow melts for ya soon so you can have go on you new setup :thumbsup:

Grinding now, folks. Thanks again. I have about 1/8" off on the bottom section. About to do the top one. Can anyone confirm the depth? I've read all kinds of depths- 1/4 just seems way too deep- is 1/8 good?

On my gen II I took off very little. I really feel like it was mostly the paint and just a hair bit of metal. You can barely get a pice of paper between the chain and the frame but thats enough for me. Hasnt touched the frame yet. And I ride hard and I hit the corners too.

Thats exactly what has to be done on gen2 at least with the ballz 240 kits, I questioned it when I did mine and Josh over there cleared things up for me. On their kit anyway, fairly certain it would make sense on other brands

Same was true for roaring toyz kit.

On my gen II I took off very little. I really feel like it was mostly the paint and just a hair bit of metal. You can barely get a pice of paper between the chain and the frame but thats enough for me. Hasnt touched the frame yet. And I ride hard and I hit the corners too.
Thats exactly what I ended up doing as well!

Here's what I cut. Guess its kinda hard to see the depth in these pics- its roughly 1/8 all the way thru (see the mountain of shavings lol)..... I reckon I'm gonna stop here, unless anyone has any specific instructions otherwise...?

Don't want to cut too much, and don't want to cut too little and have to do this twice.

IMG_20130410_223950_zps335c7320.jpg

IMG_20130410_224010_zps2e9de5f7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi I have a 240 on my busa 1, tranny is gen 2 , I have a offset front .25 or 1/4" and on the rear had to make a spacer (just took an old sprocket and cut it) to clear my tire Dunlop elite 3, which the profile makes it almost 250s, so you may have to do the same, also check that the rearset screw is not making contact with the chain , We had to grind about 1/4 inch on the top and bottom to clear the chain.

Thanks Rooster.

@ Joselo- Yea I plan on cutting that bolt as well. Just making sure I have the frame done first. Thanks

Could some of you post up the diameter of your 18in tires mounted and fully inflated, side to side please as top to bottom would be shorter. Thanks

Back