This Thing Needs A Gear Indicator

OB_BRM

Registered
In the middle of the dash on my 1983 GS1100 is a large digital readout telling you what gear you're in. This would be a handy thing to have on a Busa. This thing pulls so hard in every gear, sometimes you lose track of what gear its in. On backroads you don't know if its third, fourth, or even sometimes fifth. On interstates, it could be fifth or sixth. The only way of knowing is to either concentrate on your gear changes all of the time or look at both the tach and speedometer and doing the mental math. A gear indicator would be a great addition.

I had an '85 gs550ef which had a gear indicator. It was real handy.
On my Busa I find myself humming down the highway at 80 in fourth gear some times thinking im in 6th. Its so quiet and vibration free its hard to tell what gear I'm in!

Have to agree,seems like this would make the dash cluster complete.This bike pulls so hard in 6th gear i'm constanly checking it.

I agree, my 82 GS1100E has a gear position indicator (of course). When I rode a Honda CB360T many years ago, I got used to telling by the tach what gear I was in. I thought the gear position indicator was just something else to fix when it breaks. But after riding a bike with one, I got really used to having it. The clock is nice on the Busa, but it needs a gear position indicator between the two trip meter buttons. That would make its dash cluster perfect. I can never tell if I'm in 5th or 6th either.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 08 May 2000).]

Fully agree on that.

And we know that there's a gear position sensor in there already, so how difficult can this be?

somebody do it! i need it too! always slappin sixth..... at least if you knew it was top gear... i just have to memorize rpms at speed.......

I had a big Honda V-65 Sabre ('84)that had the indicator. Also had self-canceling signals, a bunch of anti-dive stuff,shaft drive, etc.

The end result was a bike that weighed over 600 lb. and handled like a truck, although it was fast for the time.

Keeping it simple also means keeping it light, which I appreciate.

With stock gearing the Busa makes 20mph per 1000 rpm. Just double the first 2 numbers on the tach and you get the mph. If that adds up, you are in 6th. 3000rpm =60mph, etc.

I have no objection to the indicator, so long as it doesn't add weight. On the other hand, the practical value to me would be low.

Back