This second gear crap sucks!

gkperformance

Registered
I dont want to complain much because everyone says these busa's are bulletproof. Long story short guy at work was asking about how my bike felt power wise. I told him if I get the tire sticky I can barely hold on to it, and it wants to pull the front wheel 1st-3rd but since I lowered it now it blows the tire off pretty easy unless I get the tire a little sticky before hand. He kinda acted like he didnt believe me. He has a 1200 shaft driven sport/touring type bike? He followed me out of work today and we pull up at a red light and he says "I want to see it spin like you say it does" Im weak so I take off roll it up to about 3 grand in 1st and snap it wide open, spun through 1st,2nd,3rd probably 80-100 ft black mark. Only problem when it was in second gear you can see skips in the black mark where second was slipping. I have got to fix this crap!

where abouts are ya? Fields performance can swap it out for ya quick. undercut all my gears and had her back together in a week.....

You have your suspension all fookered up partner and you are getting wheel hop. Nothing to do with the transmission!

+2 on the suspension, are you stretched with the stock spring? Whats the settings on your shock? Wheel hop if your second gear was messed up you would really feel it. possibly front or rear sprocket broken tooth

Like a wise man told me once, if you don't like what your doing, stop doing it! You can keep that thing on the road for quite awhile if you don't run it so hard. A little TLC will go a long way! Plus your tires will thank you!

I apologize for assuming he was talking about the 2nd gear problem common with these gen 1's......sounded like he was having problems with it before, and already diagnosed that it was slipping dogs on his second gear. :bowdown:

What are the good/bad from doing this?
before any flaming....lol
"NOT SAYING THIS IS GKPERFORMANCE'S PROBLEM!!!"

undercutting the gears makes for a more positive engagement of the gears. the factory machining on the dogs are more rounded and cut flat to each other, and under a hard load, can cause the gears to "slip". with the gears undercut, the more power you put to it, the stronger the bond of the gears become. only drawbacks I have found, and if you can even call it a drawback, is that you have to be almost completely off the throttle to get the gear to disengage for shifting:)

before any flaming....lol
"NOT SAYING THIS IS GKPERFORMANCE'S PROBLEM!!!"

undercutting the gears makes for a more positive engagement of the gears. the factory machining on the dogs are more rounded and cut flat to each other, and under a hard load, can cause the gears to "slip". with the gears undercut, the more power you put to it, the stronger the bond of the gears become. only drawbacks I have found, and if you can even call it a drawback, is that you have to be almost completely off the throttle to get the gear to disengage for shifting:)

Okay thanks for the info. I guess it's the same as with a car transmission so I would assume it makes a little more noise. My old mustang had staight cut gears in my Vortech S-trim I installed and it was LOUD as heck due to the gears being straight cut.

Back