This is odd

proud dad

Registered
5.4 quake this morning.Kinda strange for this part of the country.1st time I've felt my house shake and woke the wife up.I was thinking tornado at first but theres no bad weather.The news stations are being flooded with calls according to the tv.You folks out west ever get use to this?

We trucked thru there about a hour before it hit, didn't feel a thing..
beerchug.gif
just assumed it to be rough Illinois roads..
laugh.gif

We are currently on our way to Lawrenceville, Ga. for delivery this afternoon..
thumb_up.gif

well i guess its official i can sleep through an earthquake. i always thought i could
thumb_up.gif

Interesting

THE NEW MADRID FAULT SYSTEM EXTENDS 120 MILES SOUTHWARD from the area of Charleston, Missouri, and Cairo, Illinois, through New Madrid and Caruthersville, following Interstate 55 to Blytheville and on down to Marked Tree, Arkansas. It crosses five state lines and cuts across the Mississippi River in three places and the Ohio River in two places.

THE FAULT IS ACTIVE, AVERAGING MORE THAN 200 MEASURED EVENTS per YEAR (1.0 or more on the Richter scale), about 20 per month. Tremors large enough to be felt (2.5 - 3.0 on the Richter scale) are noted annually. Every 18 months the fault releases a shock of 4.0 or more, capable of local minor damage. The most recent registering 4.3 along the New Madrid Fault on Thanksgiving evening, 1996, which was felt by citizens in the states of Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky, Illinois and Mississippi. Magnitudes of 5.0 or greater occurring about once per decade, can do significant damage, and be felt in several states.

yeah I did a report on it back in high school and I realized when that thing lets go, lots of stuff is gonna be destroyed

they said the New Madrid Fault line can reverse/ change the flow of the Mississippi

The last "big" event still has some sand piles laying around.. glad I was not around for it... the hardest hit places were barren then, now big cities.. not going to be pretty (they are not built to earthquake standards)

my parents took out earthquake insurance after I did all the research on it.

Their insurance guy thought they were crazy... but they live in a 200 year old farm house... definitely not earthquake proof.

a building in Louisville,Ky was damaged.bricks and facade fell off..reports of a few porches that fell
been scaled to a 5.2 now

Back