This is my "Mother of the Year" thread...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
On the subject of parenting...let's just say it should be called "practice" just like in medicine...I'm in a constant state of "practicing parent"...
cool.gif

My favorite "Mother of the Year" story...well over tw years ago, my lovely first born son is throwing a huge tantrum, I'm tired and pregnant with son #2, it's 11 p.m.  My solution after numerous attempts to get him to calm down - I picked him up out of bed, told him if he wants to cry all night he can do it outside, then I opened up the back door and set him down on our back deck where it's nice and dark...he immediately stopped crying, feet barely hit the decking and he was back inside...never heard another peep that night...

I humbly accept this award...

Hey, I'm still learning here...
tounge.gif
 I'm not perfect...

Funny story that just happened noting my "Mother of the Year and lack of cleaning skills"...my oldest, now 4 1/2 is in the bathroom.  He pulls the seat up to pee, his finger gets wet and instinctively (I guess) he puts THAT finger in his mouth, licks the wet substance off and says "what's that Mommy?" all within 2.2 seconds...

My reply, in as calm a way as I can muster is "that's where your brother just pee'd honey...you shouldn't put your fingers in your mouth if you don't know what it is..."  

I walked away and tried to maintain composure...it was hard...

I've determined that for all of my witty remarks and insightfulness in to things like parenting, maybe someone should take my kids before it's too late...
laugh.gif

I have a 4 1/2 year old and a 9 month old, sounds about normal to me I would say you can keep your award because we have all made decisions like that. Keep up the good work!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I have one 5years, another 14 mos. We struggle daily to be firm but not mean, kind but not spoiling, caring but not saps. It is hard raising kids, but one smile and you realize that you would do anything for them. To qualify for Mom/Dad of the year all you have to do is honestly do the best you can. Just my opinion, but sounds like you are doing a fine job.

Thanks guys...I was just pretty much sharing amusing stories of raising kids, 'cause they REALLY don't come with a manual...
smile.gif

I'm always hearing stories at work with my coworkers...figured I'd start us sharing some of the funny ones...
cool.gif

I'm in .... Cat and I have two lovely (trying at times) children 14yr old Daughter and a 10yr old Son... Weelllll......
My Daughter about 2 years ago decides she has had enough of Mom and Dad and wants out of the house. We try to talk to her, but as usual we don't know anything at all (we're parents and just don't understand). As the we push to find out what is wrong she starts getting angry that we are trying to pry into her business. She makes the mistake to blurt out," I don't need you and I am leaving!". Cat in all her glory (I was getting mad) pipes up and says," Ok, if you feel you need to leave let me show you the front door." She gets up, graps my Daughter by the back of her shirt and proceeds to take her out the front door. She lets go and says," Since you don't own anything I am going to be nice and let you keep the clothes on your back." Cat turns and comes in the house, closes and locks the door. My Daughter starts walking down the street. (It's about 1200 in the afternoon on a Saturday). Cat picks up the phone and calls my Sister, Brother, and Parents, they live withing a mile of us, and tells them what happened and asks that they don't get involved. Then she proceeds to sit down and watch the TV. ME, I am freaking out, my Daughter has run away and my Wife is ok with it. (at least that was what I thought at the time.)
After several hours there is a knock at the door and guess who is standing there.... yup, my Daughter in tears. Cat takes her in and just wraps her arms around her and just stands there holding her... my Daughter sobbing and telling her how sorry she was and me just standing there watching a "pro" at work. Cat explains the rules and my Daughter is all agreeable. Since that day we have had no issues with my Daughter wanting to leave. Oh and my Son who saw the whole thing, he doesn't even go there.
In my opinion all Moms should be Mother of the Year...

Great stories, here. Gotta hand it to you great parents out there. Keep up the stellar job of it.

We don't have kids but that's a long story. But we're constantly awed by you who do and who really do make a genuine effort to raise them "right."

You all have my vote for parent of the year!

--Wag--

I'm in .... Cat and I have two lovely (trying at times) children 14yr old Daughter and a 10yr old Son... Weelllll......
My Daughter about 2 years ago decides she has had enough of Mom and Dad and wants out of the house. We try to talk to her, but as usual we don't know anything at all (we're parents and just don't understand). As the we push to find out what is wrong she starts getting angry that we are trying to pry into her business. She makes the mistake to blurt out," I don't need you and I am leaving!". Cat in all her glory (I was getting mad) pipes up and says," Ok, if you feel you need to leave let me show you the front door." She gets up, graps my Daughter by the back of her shirt and proceeds to take her out the front door. She lets go and says," Since you don't own anything I am going to be nice and let you keep the clothes on your back." Cat turns and comes in the house, closes and locks the door. My Daughter starts walking down the street. (It's about 1200 in the afternoon on a Saturday). Cat picks up the phone and calls my Sister, Brother, and Parents, they live withing a mile of us, and tells them what happened and asks that they don't get involved. Then she proceeds to sit down and watch the TV. ME, I am freaking out, my Daughter has run away and my Wife is ok with it. (at least that was what I thought at the time.)
After several hours there is a knock at the door and guess who is standing there.... yup, my Daughter in tears. Cat takes her in and just wraps her arms around her and just stands there holding her... my Daughter sobbing and telling her how sorry she was and me just standing there watching a "pro" at work. Cat explains the rules and my Daughter is all agreeable. Since that day we have had no issues with my Daughter wanting to leave. Oh and my Son who saw the whole thing, he doesn't even go there.
In my opinion all Moms should be Mother of the Year...
I am printing this one off and sharing with other parents!
smile.gif

{{clap}}
{{clap}}

...for Cat...
cool.gif

Funny story from my best friend -

She caught her niece picking her nose and eating it...

So, she says "Caroline, you shouldn't eat boogers honey, they're dirty"

Her niece just sits there for a minute, chewing...finally comes out with "I don't care if they're dirty...they taste like bacon! I like 'em!"

Can't argue with that, can you?
laugh.gif
I mean, IF they DO taste like bacon, why not? Right?!

Happy to report my boys just pick, but don't eat...whew!
wink.gif

I catch my 4 year old boy picking and eating and he thinks it's hilarious when I tell him to stop, and his 9 month old brother just sits there and laughs. I am being double teamed already!

All anyone can hope for is that we all raise our kids to the best of our ability. I know that's all I can hope for.
smile.gif

Funny story from my best friend -

She caught her niece picking her nose and eating it...

So, she says "Caroline, you shouldn't eat boogers honey, they're dirty"

Her niece just sits there for a minute, chewing...finally comes out with "I don't care if they're dirty...they taste like bacon! I like 'em!"

Can't argue with that, can you?
laugh.gif
I mean, IF they DO taste like bacon, why not? Right?!

Happy to report my boys just pick, but don't eat...whew!
wink.gif
Do they really taste like bacon?

I LOVE bacon, hummm.
Just thinking that I have bacon in my nose makes me hungry.
At the same time, do you imagine how many poor animal life would be spared if it tasted like bacon?

Let me try it, I'll get back to you
biggrin.gif

Those are some good ones.
laugh.gif

Now let me tell you about my 5 year old TWIN Nephews, Sam and Ian.

Sam is a wirey dude, and Ian is a chunky bruiser...if you take them on appearance alone. Truth is...Sam is the wirey scrapper, and Ian is the chunky momma's boy with feeling worn on his sleeve. But one day, Ian surprised everyone.

My sister-in-law was in the kitchen when she heard her husband coming up the stairs from the basement. As he opened the door, he looked at her and asked if she spilled anything. She said, "No, why?". Then they both looked in the living room and there was Ian, pouring a Coke down the furnace vent on the floor. Ian looked up at them, and before they could say anything, he made this statement...
you're gonna like this
wink.gif

"Don't spank me yet, I want to see where it goes."
laugh.gif

That is where a parent is truely tested. Do you laugh, or get upset? He knew what he did was wrong, but was willing to take the punishment in the interest of knowledge...my kinda guy.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Back