This Bike Worth it? Need Busa owner's opinion!

If you are like me then nothing is to much if you think I would buy that for that price. Buddy it is upto you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks pretty good to me, make sure he takes that tank bra off so you can verify the tank isn't trashed.

Are hayabusa's around this year worth $4,500? I thought I was getting a good deal... Hmmmm

Either this or a Zx10 ...

Thats what I paid for my '99 with 25k. Same colors too! :thumbsup:

If he said 4500 I'd bet if ya showed him 4k cash you'd be driving it home. I'd buy it for either price though!

Check under the tank pad, Make sure ya get the hump and the rear seat.

If I remember reading correctly didn't the 01's have some sort of starter issue? I think I read that on here. Might do a search and look into it. If that's the case ask about the starter being replaced.

oh,
:welcome:

Keep in mind that in todays economy what seemed like an awesome price a year or two ago is the new price of things now.

As for whether or not that bike is a good buy really depends on what you want to do with it in the future. If all you want to do is ride it on the street and not build it, then it is not a bad price. But if you want to build it you have to be aware there are some limitiations due to the year of the bike.

In 1999 and 2000 the ECU's were 8 bit processors. The Power Commanders could not increase the fuel injection enough for big engine builds of those years. Bolts ons yes, maybe two intake cams, but over that you could have issues.

In 2001 they went to a 16 bit ECU processor which was marginally better. On my brother's 01 we were able to do an after market exhaust and an intake cam mod bringing him up to 180 hp with a PCII.

All of the aforementioned year bikes will not take a PCIII or a Bazzaz unit due to the ECU's.

In 2002 the bike went to a 32 bit processor on the ECU and the sky was the limit as to what you can do to the engine because the after market programmers gave you the control you needed with the FI. Keep in mind once you build the engine pass the 280 HP mark you may need to increase the FI size.

Corrections are welcome to this post if anyone would like to add to it...

Last edited:
It might be priced right.
Is PRICE the determining factor? Is this bike EXACTLY what you would like to own?
Forget all the other considerations and go with you gut instinct. It's like throwing a punch. It's a big commitment!
Very good points by PaulCav.

Keep in mind that in todays economy what seemed like an awesome price a year or two ago is the new price of things now.

As for whether or not that bike is a good buy really depends on what you want to do with it in the future. If all you want to do is ride it on the street and not build it, then it is not a bad price. But if you want to build it you have to be aware there are some limitiations due to the year of the bike.

In 1999 and 2000 the ECU's were 8 bit processors. The Power Commanders could not increase the fuel injection enough for big engine builds of those years. Bolts ons yes, maybe two intake cams, but over that you could have issues.

In 2001 they went to a 16 bit ECU processor which was marginally better. On my brother's 01 we were able to do an after market exhaust and an intake cam mod bringing him up to 180 hp with a PCII.

All of the aforementioned year bikes will not take a PCIII or a Bazzaz unit due to the ECU's.

In 2002 the bike went to a 32 bit processor on the ECU and the sky was the limit as to what you can do to the engine because the after market programmers gave you the control you needed with the FI. Keep in mind once you build the engine pass the 280 HP mark you may need to increase the FI size.

Corrections are welcome to this post if anyone would like to add to it...

wooo dude, the guy just said he wanted to get his first busa, and your all ready taking 280hp:whistle:

do it do it do it! :cheerleader:
as long as its not some craigslist or e-bay scam.

the Hayabusa is a much bader bike than th z10 :rulez:

the Hayabusa has many many years in production, and one heck of an aftermarket support.

the busa is the king baby, are you ready for the king?

no really thier very fine mechines.

:welcome: to the org:thumbsup:

looks good from the pictures. I just bought my 2004 busa last week and it is the best bike i have ever owned or ridden. Have you seen the bike in person yet? Make sure that the ignition key works the gas tank and tail locks as well (will let you know if anything has be replaced). Check the stator cover bolts, when a bike tips or slides the stator cover normally shows the incident and it gets replaced. But the bolts will show the scuffs as well and nobody ever replaces them. Let us know how it works out. Phil :please:

I got my 2005 last month, and it's a hoot ! As it has already been said, give it a close inspection and ask for any service records. If it looks dodgy, there will always be another one.

Back