Thinking of trying going salvage

BigSimp

Donating Member
Registered
So as I have said before, I am looking for a project bike, preferably a limited. So I found this bike for $6500. But it is a Katrina survior so Major water damage is an understatement. All I really care about is the frame and engine, but with water damage sea water at that, wouldn't there be a rust issue.

possible dream bike

uh lets all huddle around and use our heads. it aint just the motor. all of the electrical connectors basically everything about the bike. in other words buddy,RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

you'll be f'n up big time if get a katrina bike. dont do it unless all you want it for is the plastic. anything submerged in that water has been rusted like you wouldnt believe. i bought a katrina impreza wrx and i can only use it for body panels, nothing else. every single piece of metal is rusted to hell and it stinks to high heaven. unless they have replaced the motor in that bike, there is no way you'll get it running. if you plan on rebuilding a flood vehicle, make sure its a fresh water flood. personally i would get one thats been crashed before buying a flooded one.

i agree with both of them...run, don't look back, keep running...

you would be getting nothing but a headache...salt water submersion can be ok if it is recovered immediately and completely dismantled and cleaned...there is no telling how long this bike sat before anyone got to it...

check under hayabusa sales...for not much more $, you can find deals like this

Katrina vehicles could also give you serious deadly infections if you cut yourself working on them.

If they would sell it for 500.00 I would buy it for the frame alone. I think the guy should break it down clean everything and sell the parts. Its not worth 6500.00

I wouldnt get this bike for anything less than 1000.

There are a lot of other options out there in this price range.

Definately look elsewere. That bike is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced.

If the seller has a valid title on this bike, the frame alone is worth more than $1000 USD.

Break-down of parts that may be of use to you on this bike (just on first thought): (Salvage prices)

1400 Frame (Aluminum)
300 Forks
1200 Plastics
170 SwingArm
150 Radiator
75 HeadLamp
40 Brake and Clutch Levers

$3695 USD
plus: signal lights, Rear and front wheels (without rotors).

I think this bike is worth at least the above figure before shipping. I think you should keep looking or negotiate the price based on all the factors I mentioned above.

This bike is not so difficult to fix for some of the guys on this board (not me though). But for my mechanic, this would not be difficult after seeing him in action. I think a smart buy on this bike is $4500. This is before all costs related to parts and labor on damaged parts.

All the best.

Every electrical connection, solenoid, brush, bearing, etc. has been submerged in salt water. You WILL spend a fortune in money and waste dozens of hours fixing all the problems the bike WILL have down the road.

Hell there is a Busa on sale here for about that, the LE is only paint bro, buy a decent bike and paint it how you want it.

$3K yes. $6.5K, no.

Most of the parts are aluminum which is good. There would be a lot of cleanup. You could get an entire wiring harness, and bolt kit. ECU should be fine except for the connectors which would need a cleaning.

It's definitely a do-able project, but for that money, I'd just go get a nice used one and call it a day.

for a thousand more, there is one here in San Antonio TX. 03 grey and silver with low miles. Username on here is monte. Tell him I mentioned it to you.

(BigSimp @ Oct. 05 2006,23:25) So as I have said before, I am looking for a project bike, preferably a limited.  So I found this bike for $6500.  But it is a Katrina survior so Major water damage is an understatement.    All I really care about is the frame and engine, but with water  damage sea water at that, wouldn't there be a rust issue.

possible dream bike
Like everyone else has stated.... "RUN!"

$6,500 is WAY TO MUCH for that bike. I would offer them $3,500 for it and that's about it.
cool.gif

You can get a unwrecked clean title USED bike for $6,500....
wink.gif
beerchug.gif

I hate to tell you but I work at a boatyard and if a boat is subbed in saltwater it useally is Very bad!! All electrical has to be changed and the motor will have to be rebuilt.

Got an idea for you. Call your insurance agent and ask them where they send the totalled bikes and get a local bike that has been deamed totalled. I found alot of good deals for a grand or two.

I will sell you a nice runner,get on and go for a few $1000 more and you won't have any worries and you can fly up or I will deliver it...lmk

Back