Thinking of getting a new phone. Need some advice

racerV

Did you say something?
Donating Member
Registered
I have fallen behind on the new phone tech stuff as I havent had to own one for a very long time. I want 4g speed and sprint has the unlimited data deal. Can I do something that will allow me to connect my xbox without having to pay another 30 / month? Which is the best phone?

I'm really starting to hate the digital age - I'm thinking about simplifying my digital life approach and going back to a single Bell rotary dial phone in the kitchen and abandon all the rest... For the record I have a droid with verizon unlimited data and it's about the only "gadget" that's really lived up to all the hype. Great phone and operating system. I know others blindly like apple but I like my Droid.

there really isnt a phone like that. You will have to pay the extra data. for whats called teathering. As far as sprint goes i dont know their phones very well. I would suggest verizon before them. I have had both droid and iphone. I have had 4 different droids. droid x droid 1 droid 2 and droid x2. I currently have an iphone4. It depends on what you want the phone for. I actually like my iphone better for gaming. I like the droids better for hacking and modding.

phones do you have the bandwith to handle an xbox... online gaming is VERY bandwith intensive!!!

I get 24mb of download speed and about 18 up.... i can run an xbox on my droid bionic......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sprint does have unlimited data and that is nice for sure. I had Verizon for years and finally switched to Sprint because of their 99/month for everything plan. It's actually closer to $120 after taxes and the $10/month 4g fee (and thats really to cover the bandwidth not 4g). The only place my sprint phone didnt work and another did domestically was in the middle of no where WY, the phone that did work surprisingly was AT&T not Verizon. Otherwise my Sprint phone has worked all over the US for the most part. There are certainly spots where one might be better than another but in general I'm 100% happy with the service.

All of that being said, what you want to do is pretty unlikely to fly. You could get an android based phone or iphone and hack it to allow the phone's built in wifi hot spot to work. The downside as mentioned, online gaming takes a *LOT* of bandwidth, WAYYYYY more than what a typical phone would consume even if you were surfing the web watching a movie. You could find yourself in violation of the TOU and facing some pretty steep fines with your service being cancelled. Not saying it wouldn't work but definitely something you put yourself at risk for so read the usage agreement well if you go this route. Also its very important to note with Sprint (and I believe the others) although you have the unlimited plan, with the paid tethering I believe you are limited to a data amount, at least that's what was explained to me. Unlimited data was only unlimited when the handset generated the bandwidth from its own apps.

They do make a variety of broadband modems these days. USB and hot spot models that might work well for you, again some data restrictions with most of them but Clear has some pretty good plans, a number of coworkers use them for their mobile needs and for $50/month for unlimited 4G coverage... eh, its not bad :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, the iPhone 5 is rumored to be released in the spring/early summer. You've waited this long, if you are just in it for the data, get a cellular modem and wait for the new cool toys (if you were leaning towards the iPhone :whistle:)

Hmm, Clear has a lot of crappy reviews. Talk of throttling isnt acceptable at all......

Well android phones are probably the best option for you for the most flexibility. Apple products are probably only useful if you use itunes. Other than that there is no reason to pick an apple phone. As said previously you can root an android phone or an apple phone for that matter to allow you to tether for free but keep in mind that the data usage will be noticed if you use it extensively ie you tether your entire family from your phone.

That said, you can just purchase an cellular wireless routers which are very small and purchase a separate android tablet. There are android apps that let you access services such as skype and google voice that provide you a phone number and other phone type services. Note some of them may not offer emergency phone services like 911. You would also have to carry and charge 2 devices. The upside is you would only have 1 bill for the router.

If you are set on Sprint, and want 4g (its available by you I assume) get the HTC EVO 3d. You will have to "root" it to be able to get a free wireless "hotspot" without paying the extra $30. Plenty of members here have Rooted theirs (like Jailbreaking and iPhone) once you do it, you are able to do all kinds of things that you can't "stock" The Evo 3d is a great phone too. I switched from the EVO to an iPhone 4s and I miss my EVO.

The iPhone is NOT 4g both the EVO and the EVO 3d are. The EVO 3d is MUCH faster than the original EVO, but the original EVO is just as capable to do what you want it to do. :beerchug:

Ya know - I use my droid to tether my lap top frequently and I works very well and once setup is a breeze to use - a little slower than my home computer with Verizon Fiber connection. And, it doesn't cost me any extra however I don't use heavy band with apps and as i said i have unlimited data.

i've had my droid bionic since september when it was released and it performs fast and flawlessly. not too bulky and the screen is within reason. the batt. sucks after a full day of use but so do all smartphones. the video can be filmed in 1080p and has a *****in' light too boot. they cost about 2 bills but worth it in my opinion. the unlimited data is the way to go and i am one of the very few that still has it through verizon.

i've had my droid bionic since september when it was released and it performs fast and flawlessly. not too bulky and the screen is within reason. the batt. sucks after a full day of use but so do all smartphones. the video can be filmed in 1080p and has a *****in' light too boot. they cost about 2 bills but worth it in my opinion. the unlimited data is the way to go and i am one of the very few that still has it through verizon.

Unlimited Data - yes... Verizon has dangled ever offer under the sun to get me to upgrade my phone... Ahhh - but alas - if I upgrade I lose my very cheap and unlimited data plan with the new phone... they'll have to pry my droid from my cold dead hands.

I have a new Droid Razr and like it a lot. This was my first smart phone, so it was a big step for me to make from the typical ring/answer phones. My wife got a Casio Commando under the unlimited data package, but I was too late. I got in under the double data rate price and have 4GB per month. So far, I have not come anywhere close to that.

I have used the CrackBerry, Apple iOS, and the Droid. Let's just say that I will never buy another Droid or CrackBerry as long as Apple continues to produce their product.

Back