Thinking of doing a Ram air mod - will it help?

mike1180

Banned
I don't need the front turn signals so I was thinking of taking a dremel and cutting out the whole area where the air intakes and signals are, and building the ram air ducts to fit that new enlarged opening. It would allow a whole lot more air to be driven into the air box and also at a lower speed.

How well do you think it would work?

This pic is sort of what I am talking about, but I think this one is just cosmetic.

6874%5B1%5Dbig_editeda.JPG

Theoretically, you can only force so much air into the air box at one time. With that being said Suzuki designed the air flow to act in concert with the turn signals. As air flows around the lens it either goes into an aerodynamic fluid or into the intake ram air tube to pressurize prior to mixture. If you were to cut out the turn indicator, you would have an oddity and nothing more.

RamairData21238650664.jpg

As you see in this study done back in 1999 by past Suzukihayabusa.Org members that the maximum obtainable pressure is just a tick under what Nick's (Gixx1300r) Ram Air Mod will obtain. Stick with what is known.

we did "ram air" testing over the years with all kinds of scoops.. bottom line? mostly the largest waste of time we could find.. Our engineer hashed out the numbers for us one day as to what we would gain.. it was like senseless to even try but hey we did anyway..

In order to gain any type of HP gain, the frontal area took it all back in aerodynamic drag.. What scoops work best for is "clean cool" air... (clean as in low/no turbulence)..

It would only be a cosmetic mod...even the scoops that you can mount over the inlets
only add a very slight amount of HP once you get up to about 140 mph and beyond.

I remember buying a set of "Power Scoops" :rofl: I unloaded them before this charted study was done.

I think the new owner used them for flower planters! :laugh::welcome:

We didn't have engineer's,,, we were all drunk! :rofl:???:laugh:

I don't like the looks of that and it doesn't sound like you'll make any gains from it.

I remember buying a set of "Power Scoops" :rofl: I unloaded them before this charted study was done.

I think the new owner used them for flower planters! :laugh::welcome:

We didn't have engineer's,,, we were all drunk! :rofl:???:laugh:
many of our "brainstorming" sessions were over a case of beer.. :laugh:

get a bunch of team members sitting around the shop staring at the race rig cooking up some of the dumbest things ever.. every now and then we would hit one that worked..

trying to eek out every last pony can get really stupid at times and Vince (our engineer) would sit back and just be entertained.. We worked equally hard at the "rules" too... :whistle:

Funny how some of the really sharp guys can figure out if it works on paper but can not come up with the idea.. :)

I know that theory.
Enough beer and everything looks like it will work.

Thanks for the input guys!
:rofl: never looked at it quite like that but yea... under the fog of beer goggles, the women look better, the new port design is better and that bottle of propylene oxide goes in the ice chest for the race the next day.. :woot:

Those above numbers were done with Nick Smith's (Gixx1300R) 'Ram Air Seals' and Fast Sjonny's 'Orient Express Power Scoops' (his contributions to the development and continued studies for the Hayabusa will never be forgotten! fastsjonny.tk Thank you, Jan!) all donated and performed 200mph.Org.UK - The Ultimate Hypersports Bike Club on Egg's Hayabusa. Tested on site at Elvington Air Base. Not on a dynometer with guys sitting around scratching their Heineken's. :laugh: Scott Ulen (Busa@11k) did all of the mathematical theory.

Back