Thinking about Removing Extended Swingarm..

kevin8105

Registered
Havent posted in a while, but was looking for some advice. I have a k8 with a roaring toyz extended swingarm. I havent measured exactly, but I believe it is about a 3 inch extension. I am thinking about removing the extension and going back to stock. Bike has been dyno'd at 188 hp at the wheel with the swingarm and burns the back tire when accelerating in 1st gear with not much throttle and second gear WOT. That's cool for some people, but I see it as a loss of energy and im kinda tired of doing rolling burnouts (kinda one of those show off things that serves no other purpose than wasting good tires).

Here are my questions:

1) Should I keep the Roaring Toyz Swing Arm or get a stock one- I should be able to keep the same swing arm and just adjust it in if im not mistaken, correct me if im wrong.
2) Will the bike still lose traction at close to stock wheel base or will it lift the front tire instead.
3) I would obviously need to do something about the chain length - Could i remove links or would i need to get a new chain?
4) Would there be a noticeable difference in cornering ability? Im wanting to start progressing my skills in this department as most of my riding is highway and I want to start going on some more back road rides.
5) I know its a matter of opinon, but how many people think the bike looks better with or without the swing arm?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hayabusa front side view.jpg

Swing Arm.jpg

Those are extensions, and simply unbolt.
You can reuse the chain, or replace it, depending upon condition and preference, as you will get alot of opinions on that.
At stock wheelbase the bike will corner much better, and it's a need if you want to improve your cornering ability.
The bike will want to wheelie more at stock length, but will still break the wheel loose too, depending on grip, temperature, road conditions, ect.
It's simple enough to put the extensions back if you don't like it that way.:beerchug:

Thanks for your reply. One of the reasons Im asking about the adjustment of the extensions is because i dont have the stock and would need to buy one. I havent messed with it much, so im not sure how much i can bring it in with that extension meaning how close to stock I can get with just adjusting the extension. I dont mind buying a stocker if i need to, but if i could save the money and adjust these in a few inches and achieve close to stock I would rather do that. Thanks again!

I might have just realized something after reading sixpack's post, but i could be wrong. Is the block held in the extension the stock block and would just bold back on after removing the extension?

Can anyone tell the length that looks like a lot more than 3 inches :poke: :laugh:

Those things aren't welded on or anything are they???

I thought they were bolt on addons and you could just put back the stock axle blocks

All you would need is the stock adjustment bolts and axle blocks, which are very inexpensive.:thumbsup:

Can anyone tell the length that looks like a lot more than 3 inches :poke: :laugh:
You sound like my wife :whistle:

Actually I typed out the post and attachd images and then when i went back and looked i slapped myself in the forehead when i noticed its obviously more than 3 inches.

You are right, they are just bolted on, but I bought it that way and wasnt sure if i could just unbolt them and use the bolck that the extension has in it (is that the stocker?) or if i needed to buy the stock one. Im thinking it is that easy, but was bored at work and wanted to see if anyone knew. I am going to order a new chain and not sure if i needed anything else at this point.

Thanks again!

I've got some stock adjustment blocks for you if you want. Took them off mine at around 5,000 miles when I changed out to black ones. Find your best price and I'll sell them to you for 50% of that. Sound fair?
I dont have the adjuster bolts as I reused mine but I'd try to remove those and see if they will screw into factory hole? I bet they would work?

Also if the chain is still good you could just remove a few links and use a new master link.
Not really any need for a new chain unless it's worn out.
Now your fixed with minimum investment :thumbsup:

I've got some stock adjustment blocks for you if you want. Took them off mine at around 5,000 miles when I changed out to black ones. Find your best price and I'll sell them to you for 50% of that. Sound fair?
I dont have the adjuster bolts as I reused mine but I'd try to remove those and see if they will screw into factory hole? I bet they would work?

Thanks for the offer Blanca! What color are the ones that you have? Also, I think it was you that said you might have an extra side fairing bolt. Im the idiot that broke mine off as you can see in my pic, I still have not gotten a replacement. :) I would be happy to buy that off you for 50% as well :laugh:

If you want to sell.. i'm interested.

You want to buy the extension? If so I might take you up on that. I would want to see how I like the bike without it first though obviously, but I will PM you after I have a chance to ride it without the extension.

Also if the chain is still good you could just remove a few links and use a new master link.
Not really any need for a new chain unless it's worn out.
Now your fixed with minimum investment :thumbsup:

Any special tools needed for this? Ive looked around and thought that you would need a chain breaker and riveter.

Any special tools needed for this? Ive looked around and thought that you would need a chain breaker and riveter.

Yes you do need a chain breaker/press tool.
The adjuster bolts you have now are also too long, you will need the stock length.

Thanks bud!

You're welcome sir.
Check out site sponsor Pashnit, pashnit.com
Great prices and service on bike parts and tools.
Buy a quality chain tool and it'll last forever. Parts can bend and break on cheaper ones, especially the pins.

After burning the tire off a worked VMAX and doing 200ft long burnouts (no brake) for many years, I enjoy carrying the front wheel more then smoking the tire.
Its preference. Yes, on GENII the tire will break loose but not blow it off the rim with stock length swingarm carrying the front wheel up to 100mph:thumbsup:

Back