Thinking about painting Oren myself...

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
well folks?...after carefully considering all my options for repairing the slight scratching that Oren sustained in my 5mph driveway go-down a few weeks back?..I've used rubbing and polishing compounds to remove a good 80-90% of the scratches but can see that if i want to get oren paint back to 100% that it's going to require some minor touch-up and clearcoat re-application...and after giving that some further thought?...where a friend advised minor touch up and then tape and re-shoot the clearcoat using a dupli-color Truck/Van/SUV clearcoat acrylic laquor?...then rubbing that out?...in several locations?...i'm now thinking..."Damn The Torpedos"...and since i really can't swing $2,000 for pro applied paint?...and since i do have a little airbrush experience from the aerospace industry?...i'm thinking a DIY paint job for oren.....i already have the compressor...i'd just need to install a dryer and buy a badger airbrush...and i'm reading as much as i can about applying 2 stage urethanes and the catalyst type multi-stage clearcoats including mica pearlescence.

I'm not looking to do any fancy highly detailed murial sorta artwork...just some basic graphix....like what was originally on the pre-'01 busa's where you could see the falcon on the side...and i'm wanting to doing a bright silver metal-flake Falcon on a Pearl/Metalic Black w/ a Bright Blood Red Metallic Kanji..simple....right?
laugh.gif

anyways....any advice from you experienced painters out there would be much appreciated as far as what brand of really good urathane based paints to use and primer/basecoat/clearcoat procedures and options.

Man...i hope i don't muck this up!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

Sounds like a good winter time project. Smokin Gunz ought to be able to give some great pointers. Some of his recent endeavors have been pretty trick! I'm no help on the actual painting though. The one paintjob I have always wanted to see in the US was the Blue LE I think they sold in Japan.

JAPANESE_BLUE2.jpg

Well?....one thing is look'in up....my ex-father in-law (we get along great as he divorced my mother inlaw LOL!) just dropped by a few minutes ago and when i explained my intentions to him?...he told me he has some old binks and badger guns...3 of'em....a full automotive size binks and a cup gun and a badger airbrush...still all N.I.B. and never used...said he had'em for years...i offered to buy them from him...he's giving them to me.
biggrin.gif

and now back to educating myself on primers, basecoat and clearcoat procedures and technique...and who knows...maybe if i get good practicing on oren?...i may find myself a new career.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

L8R, Bill.

biggrin.gif

Bill,get one of those Binks guns,just be sure you prep your surface good,the paint will not cover it up,wipe it down with something like 3812 just before painting along with going over it with a tack cloth.I would suggest practicing on something before trying the bike,watch your air pressure,use whats best for your stroke and dont try to cover it with one coat,Smokin Guns will prolly chime in here,he's the pro,I just dabble with it a little.NJ.

(nitrousjunkie @ Sep. 10 2006,09:18) Bill,get one of those Binks guns,just be sure you prep your surface good,the paint will not cover it up,wipe it down with something like 3812 just before painting along with going over it with a tack cloth.I would suggest practicing on something before trying the bike,watch your air pressure,use whats best for your stroke and dont try to cover it with one coat,Smokin Guns will prolly chime in here,he's the pro,I just dabble with it a little.NJ.
Thanks NJ and yeah....I'll be doing a thorough "PREP"....stripping the stickers off....sanding away the "SUZUKI" lettering on the tank sides and then using a good filler primer...blocking it in and smoothing up...and then?...this is where i'll be experimenting with primer color choices as white for the lighter shade base coats and black for..well?..the black basecoat...and the problem here is i know that i only know enough to be dangerous...so?...i'll be doing "sample coats" before each application on the actual bodywork just to see how things are gonna look.....but what's got me stumped at the moment is what brand and type of paints would be best for ease of application and long term durability and?....compatability.

Thanks for the helpful input and..L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 10 2006,13:25) well folks?...after carefully considering all my options for repairing the slight scratching that Oren sustained in my 5mph driveway go-down a few weeks back?..I've used rubbing and polishing compounds to remove a good 80-90% of the scratches but can see that if i want to get oren paint back to 100% that it's going to require some minor touch-up and clearcoat re-application...and after giving that some further thought?...where a friend advised minor touch up and then tape and re-shoot the clearcoat using a dupli-color Truck/Van/SUV clearcoat acrylic laquor?...then rubbing that out?...in several locations?...i'm now thinking..."Damn The Torpedos"...and since i really can't swing $2,000 for pro applied paint?...and since i do have a little airbrush experience from the aerospace industry?...i'm thinking a DIY paint job for oren.....i already have the compressor...i'd just need to install a dryer and buy a badger airbrush...and i'm reading as much as i can about applying 2 stage urethanes and the catalyst type multi-stage clearcoats including mica pearlescence.

I'm not looking to do any fancy highly detailed murial sorta artwork...just some basic graphix....like what was originally on the pre-'01 busa's where you could see the falcon on the side...and i'm wanting to doing a bright silver metal-flake Falcon on a Pearl/Metalic Black w/ a Bright Blood Red Metallic Kanji..simple....right?
laugh.gif

anyways....any advice from you experienced painters out there would be much appreciated as far as what brand of really good urathane based paints to use and primer/basecoat/clearcoat procedures and options.

laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You named your bike "Oren"
rock.gif

laugh.gif

With your experience and with what U have already available, I say get moving! Make it a project. Then when Spring comes, post a pix.

PS: still love your wife or is she M.I.A?
rock.gif

if you are going to paint it go with House of Kolors and do some type of candy color, or some type of flip -flop.

Just so happens high end restoration is what I do for a living. House of color is indeed good stuff. If base/clear pearls are more your style instead of candies, PPG is hard to beat. Also, Spies Hecker and Sikkens make quality urethanes. One rule of thumb: everything you use on the job from putties, to primer, to sealer, to clear, except the base coat should use hardener.

(coop427 @ Sep. 10 2006,12:12)
(JINKSTER @ Sep. 10 2006,13:25) well folks?...after carefully considering all my options for repairing the slight scratching that Oren sustained in my 5mph driveway go-down a few weeks back?..I've used rubbing and polishing compounds to remove a good 80-90% of the scratches but can see that if i want to get oren paint back to 100% that it's going to require some minor touch-up and clearcoat re-application...and after giving that some further thought?...where a friend advised minor touch up and then tape and re-shoot the clearcoat using a dupli-color Truck/Van/SUV clearcoat acrylic laquor?...then rubbing that out?...in several locations?...i'm now thinking..."Damn The Torpedos"...and since i really can't swing $2,000 for pro applied paint?...and since i do have a little airbrush experience from the aerospace industry?...i'm thinking a DIY paint job for oren.....i already have the compressor...i'd just need to install a dryer and buy a badger airbrush...and i'm reading as much as i can about applying 2 stage urethanes and the catalyst type multi-stage clearcoats including mica pearlescence.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
rock.gif
yes...actually?..her full name is "O-Ren Ishii"....and why did i name her that?...simple....cause she's one bad azz biotch from tokyo....and?...my name?...is in fact..."Bill"

cool.gif

laugh.gif

cool.gif

(Un-Caged @ Sep. 10 2006,15:42) Just so happens high end restoration is what I do for a living. House of color is indeed good stuff. If base/clear pearls are more your style instead of candies, PPG is hard to beat. Also, Spies Hecker and Sikkens make quality urethanes. One rule of thumb: everything you use on the job from putties, to primer, to sealer, to clear, except the base coat should use hardener.
thanks un-caged...and i know HOC is great stuff but was speaking with smokin_gunz earlier today and he was steering me towards water born bases...specifically?...autoaircolors.com...and then a tpg clearcoat...but i definantly want to look it all over and use the best....and the best sequences/techniques.

Thanks again and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(BiG-T @ Sep. 10 2006,16:09) blue LE....sick!!
I agree why dont they release that color here Id be all over it been thinking about having mine repainted now that will be another color option
smile.gif

We definitely want to see the results. This is way cool. Worse case scenario - you really screw it up and you have to either buy new fairings or take yours to someone who can re-do the job. right? So I say - can't wait to see the pics!

I love that blue Limited... wow!

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 10 2006,19:41)
(spkerhed @ Sep. 10 2006,16:34)
(BiG-T @ Sep. 10 2006,16:09) blue LE....sick!!
I agree why dont they release that color here
uhmmm....possibly?...cause it looks like a yamaha?
dont know any thing about yamaha but its close to the color of my wifes sv650 just didnt relize that an all blue le would look that good
rock.gif

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 10 2006,11:19)
(coop427 @ Sep. 10 2006,12:12)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
rock.gif
yes...actually?..her full name is "O-Ren Ishii"....and why did i name her that?...simple....cause she's one bad azz biotch from tokyo....and?...my name?...is in fact..."Bill"

cool.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

From the famous "Kill Bill" Vols. I and II!!! I loved those movies.

laugh.gif

cool.gif

laugh.gif

dam that blue with the black frame looks good.

check out "mikes bike" on my website www.liquidmojopaint.com .it's the black sportster, that was ALL done with SPRAY CANS and tape. i call it my "ghetto fabulous line".

as for our convo yesterday bill i will be contacting you tonight with the info from my body guy.

"un-caged" posted some good stuff above too.

me personally i just dont like messin' with the toxic stuff thats why i use the waterborn autoair and send it out to clear.

pm or call you later,

dave

(smokin_gunz @ Sep. 11 2006,02:32) dam that blue with the black frame looks good.

check out "mikes bike" on my website  www.liquidmojopaint.com  .it's the black sportster, that was ALL done with SPRAY CANS and tape. i call it my "ghetto fabulous line".

as for our convo yesterday bill i will be contacting you tonight with the info from my body guy.

"un-caged" posted some good stuff above too.

me personally i just dont like messin' with the toxic stuff thats why i use the waterborn autoair and send it out to clear.

pm or call you later,

dave
very cool of you and thanks bunches Dave!
biggrin.gif

Nuth'in like having the fine mentoring from a "Top Gun" such as yourself...i feel extremely privilaged..and i thank you for that.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Bill,
Having been around refinishing shops enough to observe many generalities I'll share this..(which you may already know, and in that case don't be insulted by my attempts at helpfulness)
If you plan to do a darker color you must aim at a perfectly smooth base preparation. To achieve this, progressive sanding and priming should be done. You can use a lighter primer coat just to provide contrast then mist black across it to give you a speckled effect. Then you can block sand through the contours to see where your lines and low spots are since you will be able to see the black specks clearly if there are grooves, undulations or other imperfections. Once you have achieved perfection you should repeat the process to see what you missed. Try to find a fairing on ebay so that you can refine your techniques before stripping your stuff down. This will provide you with an exact example of the contours you will be working with on the final run. I have a feeling that you are a perfectionist so these techniques ought to work.
You can't really lose with the larger mass market paint products. I have seen fantastic results with DUPONT, ICI, PPG, Sikkens, as will as the more upmarket (costly) stuff from HOC. Just go through the catalogs and find your combinations. The paint on my BUSA is Dupont three step with a white base, orange pigment, and pearlescent (iridescent) clear. Practice with less expensive stuff so that when you shoot your panels with the goods stuff you will be able to maximize.. Oh and you can always sort out imperfections in the final stages of the process when you color sand and polish.

Back