Thinking about buying a PWC.

NCBusa2001

Registered
OK, I've talked to a few people who have them and have seen them at the beach. They look like a blast so I figure, why not add one to the stable.

I know a little (very little) about what brands are "the best" and what brands to stay away from.

I figure there's got to be a bunch of members who can steer me in the right direction, or at least hope so.

Here's what I'm wanting to buy....3 (or 2) seater in the $2000-$4000 price range.

The most important criteria to me is RELIABILITY! I want to be able to take it out into the ocean and not have it die. (I don't want to be a shark statistic)

Secondly, I need a light one with a shallow draft. Something light enough I might be able to winch into the bed of the truck would be nice. I would also love to go into shallow marshes, swamps, etc.

Lastly, Something decently fast. I don't need a gas guzzling super high horsepower supercharged beast. However, I don't want to be out gunned by a freaking bass boat.

I really don't care much for all the bells an whistles. Just some storage capability and a speedometer.

I would graciously welcome any and all advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

First, I'm new to the PWC market also having picked up a pair of 96 Seadoo XP's last year. I bought them as more of a trail to see if I'd enjoy and find the time to use them and have had a bast with them.

That being said, In my opinion I would stay with the midrange 2seater, as going to the larger 3 seat boats takes alot of the play out of them. When you go 3 seats the boats bigger, heavier, and well, just more boat like. They are ideal if your looking for the ski as a tow device for inflatables or skiers, but for a day of fun on the water........there not my bag.

As for brand.....I don't think you can wrong with Sea-Doo, Have heard good about Yamaha....Not sure beyond that.

As for the draft and riding in a marsh or swamp..........I'm not sure thats possible with any ski. Being that the jet pump intake is on the bottom, you need a minimium of 24 clean/clear inches. Even rinding the big lakes, the ski looses power sucling up seeweed and you must get off the ski and reach underneath and clear the pump.

They are alot of fun, just wish Ohio's water season was longer........I've got the itch, but the water is still too cold for me.

All I am going to say is Yamaha GP1300, SeaDoo RXP these are about the 2 fastest PWC money can buy
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

First, I'm new to the PWC market also having picked up a pair of 96 Seadoo XP's last year.  I bought them as more of a trail to see if I'd enjoy and find the time to use them and have had a bast with them.

That being said, In my opinion I would stay with the midrange 2seater, as going to the larger 3 seat boats takes alot of the play out of them.  When you go 3 seats the boats bigger, heavier, and well, just more boat like.  They are ideal if your looking for the ski as a tow device for inflatables or skiers, but for a day of fun on the water........there not my bag.

As for brand.....I don't think you can wrong with Sea-Doo, Have heard good about Yamaha....Not sure beyond that.

As for the draft and riding in a marsh or swamp..........I'm not sure thats possible with any ski.  Being that the jet pump intake is on the bottom, you need a minimium of 24 clean/clear inches.  Even rinding the big lakes, the ski looses power sucling up seeweed and you must get off the ski and reach underneath and clear the pump.

They are alot of fun, just wish Ohio's water season was longer........I've got the itch, but the water is still too cold for me.
Thanks, So it sounds like See-doo is pretty much the gold standard, Correct?

I had not thought about the "playability" angle between 2 and 3 seats. Thanks.

I also hadn't thought about the clear water requirement under the craft. Again, thanks.

Rubber, mentioned the RXP and you have the xp. What do you think about the rxp?

That being said, In my opinion I would stay with the midrange 2seater, as going to the larger 3 seat boats takes a lot of the play out of them. When you go 3 seats the boats bigger, heavier, and well, just more boat like.
I have a 3 seater and I think it's as fun as just about any jet ski there is, plus it halls balls. Albeit heavier, I believe the extra power makes up for it the nimbleness area. I think it depends where you will mostly ride it at also. I ride mine in the ocean and the inlets and I think a smaller one would beat the crap out of you in the rougher ocean waters. Nothing more fun than jumping waves or playing with the dolphins or just flat out throttle WFO for a speed rush. I think smaller ones would be OK for the lakes and what not.

Jski.JPG

Will prolly never own one again......way too much maintenance, expensive maintenance, too seasonal, you have to dedicate a whole day just for an outting, storage, yada, yada, yada.....

Not for me.

DD

you want a Kawasaki.... or a Yamaha... you want a couple year old two stroke , not a turbochaged four stroke and if you even HEAR the words Tigershark or Polaris..... RUN!!!!!!!!

Will prolly never own one again......way too much maintenance, expensive maintenance, too seasonal, you have to dedicate a whole day just for an outting, storage, yada, yada, yada.....

Not for me.

DD
Have to agree with you there, there is a lot of extra to do just to enjoy one. For me, going in the salt water makes even more steps as far as cleaning in it up at the end of the day, dang salt water is harsh on things and needs to be completely cleaned before bedding it down.I have it down to a science now although, I can have it out of the water and put up w/in an hour. I bought the maintenance plan for mine, covers all scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs, so that works out ok.

Alright here is a quick run down since I am at work, if you want more info then pm me and I will send you my phone number and I will fill you in further.

For the price range you are looking for try your best to stay with yamaha, strickly for reliability issues.  Yamaha actualy designs there motors for there specific application.  Sea-doo, polaris kawasaki take a mid range block and change the bore size to the application. For example they take there 750 series block and bore it out to there 1200 cc engine size which leaves there cylinder walls paper thin and opens them up to sub standard parts.  After a couple years of running the way the advertize them to be run they typically have to have new internals in the block.

I would recommend a 750 - 900 2 or three seater (if your married try to find a 2 for one deal for 4500, one three seater and one two seater is best).  The reason I suggest the 750 - 900 series is they are capable of 50 - 55 mph (knots) and you pay a sucstantital amount of extra money for a above 1000 series, and again the problems mentioned above, and you only gain about 10 mph on the water which is fairly inconsiquential. Plus the are more gas efficent.  

Gas efficeincy is a joke with a jet ski/boat. The "jet" propelled water discharge system is the least efficient water purpolsion system on the market.  Really the break down is simple there is a tiny propeller with about six blades in a tube.  This propeller has to suck the water (at an angle sometimes almost 90 degees) up the tube and push it out the back to create thrust. However water doesn't like to be pushed and the cavitation (induction of air into the solid mass of water) created slows the ski down even more.

Draft, all ski's regardless of on 2 or three seats take about the same amount of draft.  Basically if you can float it (typically half way between ankle and knee deep) you can ride it.  Once on plain they only draw about 2 to 3 inches of water.  That being said if you hit sea weed it will be sucked up the tube and your going to slow your progress dramatically.  You really want to stay out of mucky situations or your not going to be happy.  Especially when you start getting sun burnned trying to get out of the mucky situation (I speak from experince on this one  
whistling.gif
).

When searching for a ski look inland.  Salt water is horrible to all marine tuys especially ski's.  Try to get one used in fresh water.  The best situation is from a guy that has a big boat and this was his toy.  That usually means the hours are lower on the ski and he probably knows a thing or two about marine maintenance.  Jet ski's are the most abuse boat on the water.  The are the starter no gear wearing motorcycle of the sea.  The are rode hard and stored wet. Do your research on proper storing and draining of a ski immediately after use.  

Don't kid yourself, jet ski's are boats and the same boating rules apply to you to. You will be looked down on by the rest of the boating community. Mainly because 90% of jet ski owners do not take boating classes and don't abide by the rules of the road.  Jet ski's are the sport bike of the water.  However, EVERYTHING else is the semi truck of the water and jet skis constantly get right in the way figuring boats can turn and stop on a dime just like a semi truck. TAKE A SAFE BOATING CLASS!!!!!! They are like 10 bucks and are normally put on buy either your local sheriffs department or coast guard unit, or Power Squadron (which are typically better) just google "your home town, Power Squadron".  Try to get your signifigant other or kids to take it with you.  Basically anyone in your family that will drive or ride the thing.  Just in case something happens, they will know how to get everyone back safely.

Jet ski's are a blast but they are a fair amount of work. Just do some research and you will be fine.  Like I said above PM me for any information on proper gear websites info yada yada.  Good luck man sorry for the nitty gritty but I have to make some money for a living now.  Hope this helps.  
cool.gif

I agree with SeedAdict on the above mentioned boating classes. I too also own a 22 foot Thompson we use on Lake Erie mostly, but it occasionally sees an inland lake. For years I've complained about skiers who place themselves in danger, crossing on the wrong side, riiding to close behind, paying to attention or mind to the bigerr boats around. Strictly because these vessels are faster and more manueverable doesn't mean you can loose your common sense on the water. I've had my boating safety class and it is a highly recommended addition to the sport.

As for the turbo-charged ski's, the problem here (at least for seadoo) has been wear on the ceramic washers in the turbo. This problem has seemed to be rectified recently with Sea-doo changing to steel washers, and there are now steel washer replacements being offered for the ceramics. Though, for the price your looking to spend, I doubt you'll be looking toward a turbo machine. I also disagree with the 2 stoke versus 4 stroke debate that you find in both the Jet Ski and Snowmobile arena theses days. Besides the extra cost in some yearly routine maintance, I dont think you can beat the reliability of an EFI 4 Stroke Ski. They are a bit heavier, a bit bulkier, but provide exceptional performance and reliability.

As for comparing my 96 XP's (800cc machines) to todays RXP, it would be like comparing my Busa to my old 95 gsxr 750, they aren't even the same machine and really can't be compared. The XP's were the badass top shelf machine in 96, but by todays standards, well, they are outdated, though they are still the hull design that racers use. The new boats today are so much bigger, more stable, more luxurious. As with cars, bikes, anything, the new generations improve with knowlege from the old.

I wouldn't say Sea-doo is the gold standard, but In my book, there's only 2 Ski's.........Sea-doo and Yamamha.

Get some stand-ups like a Yamaha Super jet or a Kawi SXR and have some REAL fun. The other skis (small boats really) are ok, but I get bored really quick w/ them if you don't have at least 5-6 others to play with.JMO-
beerchug.gif

Thanks all, I'm leaning more towards a 3 seater now. More room to hang out on. That being said, the wife just notified me that I CAN'T HAVE ONE now. We are in the process of building an addition to the house and that takes priority. Go figure.

My birthday is comming up so she might change her tune. (Yes, she wears the pants in the family):) I guess we will see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Back