Thinking about a modular helmet

Granted not all modular helmets are built the same. If I think about it, I can take my camera off and mock it up with a helmet from cycle gear to see for sure. Did you have a certain helmet in mind?
No specific one. Not buying one anytime soon, as I just spent over $700 placing an order for busa and concours14 custom seats for long distance trips.

I have the Shoei Neotec 2. I also grabbed the integrated bluetooth kit as it's near impossible to set up an external one on this model - I tried with a Sena 20s and it didn't quite work.

For me, it's an awesome helmet. In the hot weather, stopping at the lights and opening up the whole face is great. Not needing to remove helmet when getting fuel either. Airflow for me is great too.

I use it 95% of the time - I have a Bell for any track work.

Reactions: c10
A FYI guys about that all my pulling caused the right pin to start pulling out of helmet. When it was two handed slammed and the face / chin bar came off that was the side were pin was giving out.
I'm willing to bet had I not worn it out in the gorilla stress test it would not of failed that strike. Sorry to inform, but don't look for part Two with the Schuberth C3 Pro lol.

@c10 do they make any decent modular Carbon Fiber helmets that you know of?
I really like the modular idea,
I currently ride with a HJC AC12 Carbon. I bought this helmet for $699 back in 2006 (I was on a waiting list for it, medium was hard to come by) it weighs around 3 lbs

The reason I need a light helmet is because I am totally blind in my left eye. I don’t lose as much peripheral sight as one might think and I have depth perception only simply because I was born blind and my body adapted. I have to move my head around twice as much as anyone else and with a heavy helmet it causes severe neck pain after long rides.

Have to disagree with C10. The Shoei is a generation ahead of the Schuberth C3 and they even rushed out the C4 to keep up with the Shoei and that hasn't been successful. I can assure you there are no Quality issues with the Shoei. Been riding with it for months and it is the best helmet I have ever owned. I got tired of waiting for the Neotec 2 to come out and bought a Schuberth C3 cheap. I actually returned it for many reasons but the visor material was very thin and there were many reports of it leaking in the rain. The Neotec visor does fog without the pin bar installed, but it's designed to work with one. There are no problems with it in, so why ride without it? BMW guys swear by the Schuberth (it's German after all) but the Neotec is the new sheriff in town.

Note that all of the built-in comm systems suck. Use the adhesive and put a state of the art unit on. The C3 is not comparable to the Neotec 2, the C4 is. Yes the C3 is a great helmet, but it is an older generation, which is why Schubreth released the C4. The C3 is cheaper, as is the Neotec 1. But both are inferior (older technology) helmets to the C4 or Neotec 2.

Another important thing is that the Neotec 2 was designed for a wider market, not just upright tourers. Note the dual spoilers on the rear of the helmet. This makes the helmet stable either with the rider sitting upright or leaned over in a sport bike riding position. This is important as the Neotec 2 is very stable in the lean at higher speeds.
shoei_neotec2_helmet_white_750x750.jpg

These are pretty accurate reviews IMHO:

Neotec 2:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...2712&msclkid=5cb91369c90719fdfd90489be3ba85ec

C3 Pro:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-pro-helmet

C4: (note the C4 has many of the Neotec 2 features and a more aggressive look)
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c4-helmet

@c10 do they make any decent modular Carbon Fiber helmets that you know of?
I really like the modular idea,
I currently ride with a HJC AC12 Carbon. I bought this helmet for $699 back in 2006 (I was on a waiting list for it, medium was hard to come by) it weighs around 3 lbs

The reason I need a light helmet is because I am totally blind in my left eye. I don’t lose as much peripheral sight as one might think and I have depth perception only simply because I was born blind and my body adapted. I have to move my head around twice as much as anyone else and with a heavy helmet it causes severe neck pain after long rides.

My AGV is very light and it's not carbon fiber.

My AGV is very light and it's not carbon fiber.
Any idea on weight? The 3 lbs if my HJC i love it. I mean I love the helmet but it is 12 years old now. It’s never been dropped and doesn’t have a scratch on it but I know that 12 years is pushing it with a helmet. Realistically I am in the market for a new one but I don’t want it to be above the 3 lbs I’m used to now.

Willie don't take my video wrong way on Shoei. When the chin bar is that big it blocks gauges, and looking @ a big honking orange button in the front the Neotec 2 was not getting my approval for what it cost. My C3 did leak in rain, but what most don't know is there is a eccentric cam adjustment on C3 to pull shield into the seal. Needs a adjustment from time to time Schuberth told me when I called upset about it many years ago. Also Neotec did not fit in my V35 bags the Schuberth does and is not 4 plus pounds like the Neotec.
My gripe to ALL big time helmet companies is the lack of fog free shields. Get with the program and dump the pin lock.
I really wanted to love the Neotec. Remember I sent you a message about yours.

Yes I get it but those are not really issues everyone will have. I can see the gauges fine out of my Neotec 2. And I put the pin lock in when I opened the box and no fogging issues. Seems like a clean solution to offer an insulated shield to stop fogging. Anyway to each his own.
I stand by my assertion that your videos are a great asset to all of us here my friend :beerchug:

Yes I get it but those are not really issues everyone will have. I can see the gauges fine out of my Neotec 2. And I put the pin lock in when I opened the box and no fogging issues. Seems like a clean solution to offer an insulated shield to stop fogging. Anyway to each his own.
I stand by my assertion that your videos are a great asset to all of us here my friend :beerchug:
My thoughts also, thanks C10 for taking the time and making the effort to make these vids, they ARE appreciated by many of us here!

Any idea on weight? The 3 lbs if my HJC i love it. I mean I love the helmet but it is 12 years old now. It’s never been dropped and doesn’t have a scratch on it but I know that 12 years is pushing it with a helmet. Realistically I am in the market for a new one but I don’t want it to be above the 3 lbs I’m used to now.

3.2 I believe.

One other note when I say cant see my gauges with the Neotech I sit Upright with the ABM /LSL bar kit . It it was not that way I would be leaning down slightly . Other bikes that have a pure upright riding position their gauges are in relation to rider position . Therefore my situation is unique , and maybe even making my point mute on the matter . Something also to consider on button color testors model paint could be used to make it match the helmet with no effect on safety .

Something else for everyone Stay away from Scorpion EXO 3000 GT modular it has some latch issues when open it wont stay open after a short period of use . Chaparral in California filled Red , and I in on this , and it clearly was not as good as the 920 design even though it was a tier up model .

Back