Thinking about a hybrid van

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Due to gas prices and a family van that is starting to get old I am thinking about maybe trading the van in for a new hybrid van.

Not sure where to start looking however. Would like the van to be able to sit at least if not more than our current van sits, which is 7

Gas prices are killing us (as I am sure it is hurtiing most) between gas prices and an out of control eletric company I need to start looking at making some drastic changes around the home and driving habits

Any advice would be apprecieated

The Toyota Sienna was the first

Finding something hybrid to seat more than 7 is tough.

toyota-sienna-seats.jpg

Link

Hybrids much more expensive, How much gas can you buy for 5K difference?
Battery pack will start loosing capacity in a few years so as fuel economy at that point. Another 5 to 7K to replace batteries in 5 years.

Check out Dodge Sprinter. Best diesel engine to date. and it is Mercedes for the price of Dodge.
seating capacity is best too.

You think so vic? I have heard rumors about replacing them but not seen any real data

Does anyone even make a hybrid van ? We have a Nissan Quest ....about 26 mpg on the highway .....at best .
wow.gif

(heavybusa @ May 24 2007,11:31) You think so vic? I have heard rumors about replacing them but not seen any real data
Toyota recalled some last year, I believe.
They covering battery failure for 8 years.

Failure, not capacity decrease. that`s the catch.
Capacity will decrease drastically in 2-3 years. Then it would be just underpowered small gasoline engine....

Hybrids has their advantages but if it`s not saving money.

Diesels is the way to go.

Jetta TDI, for example cost 5G less then prius and get same mileage. Or pretty close. No batteries to change. Much better for city driving (huge torque) Easier and cheaper to maintain..
Just my .02

(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 24 2007,14:10)
(heavybusa @ May 24 2007,11:31) You think so vic? I have heard rumors about replacing them but not seen any real data
Toyota recalled some last year, I believe.
They covering battery failure for 8 years.

Failure, not capacity decrease. that`s the catch.
Capacity will decrease drastically in 2-3 years. Then it would be just underpowered small gasoline engine....

Hybrids has their advantages but if it`s not saving money.

Diesels is the way to go.

Jetta TDI, for example cost 5G less then prius and get same mileage. Or pretty close. No batteries to change. Much better for city driving (huge torque) Easier and cheaper to maintain..
Just my .02
Good info! I agree Diesel is the way to go (not you big D)

I'll take a glow plug over a spark plug any day!

Personally, I wouldn't even consider hybrid anything right now, because all of it is crap.

Nobody offers a genuine WORKING system. A 500-750cc diesel mounted to a generator, driving electric motors at the wheels would create a working, ridiculously efficient vehicle. One that is no slouch in the acceleration department.

But nobody offers that. They all want to sell a homogenization of an electric motor and gas motor, as a hybrid. And it doesn't work out well.

And for an all electric vehicle? Apart from outright failure, the life cycle of batteries depends on how you use them. If the car has an 80 mile range per charge, and you only drive 20 miles a day and charge every night, the batteries will last longer. Optima batteries, for example, if run completely down, (80% total discharge), will only last 250-500 cycles, while at 20% total discharge, will last almost 4,000 cycles. (That's over 11 years of daily service).

On the other hand... What exactly is wrong with your current van, other than gas prices? If the body is still in good shape, I would personally just slap 2 wheel motors, a controller, and a generator on it, and call it an aftermarket hybrid.
biggrin.gif

(justtight @ May 24 2007,23:36) 80mile range per charge that sucks. How long does it take to charge
80 miles is an example, and most electrics have shot for that as a minimum range. The range can be whatever you make it, if you want to make a car with a thousand mile range, you can, it would just be cost and weight prohibitive.

And charging depends on the source, and the capacity of the battery bank. But for a small car, (comparable to a 4-seater 4-banger like a corolla), going on a 20 mile roundtrip, I believe it would charge back to 100% in 2-3 hours, if you had a charger hardwired to 120V/20A in your garage. From 80% TD, (80 miles in the example), would take closer to 8 hours. Factor in other charging sources, such as some workplaces that install chargers if there is enough employee demand for them, and it becomes easier to keep the car charged. And, a good solar panel on top can supplement the range as well.

On the range issue, I asked the people I work with, (somewhat jokingly), if they would drive an electric. Most said no, citing the short range as a limiter. None of them live more than 15 miles away from work. They still don't understand it even after my having explained it to them numerous times.
rolleyes_extreme.gif

Edit: This, BTW, is the range for an electric ONLY car. One with a liquid fuel driven generator has the range of the generator's tank, which if using a standard car tank, (12-20 gallons of fuel), can be made to travel several hundred or THOUSAND miles on a tank.

Oh, and thrasherfox, a gas-electric hybrid conversion would probably be ALOT cheaper than buying a bargain basement, last year, last one left on the lot minivan, much less a hybrid. Good parts can be had for under $5K, and even if you had someone else set it up, you'd still be major cash ahead.

Back