Thinkin' of a road trip

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
The wiff and I were thinking of taking a road trip from the Albuquerque, NM area to the east coast and taking a tour along the seaboard. 100% of the travel would be on the bikes. We'll probably start out mid to end of September.

We're thinking it would take about three weeks. The plan would be to go up to Wisconsin and visit some friends, then to Maine and then south along the coast to Florida where we would visit some family. Then head back through Texas to visit some more family and then back home.

Is three weeks too naive or is it going to take longer? Any suggestions or other thoughts?

My next step is to get on maps.google.com and start planning the route and figure out the distances.

I'm on the Busa of course but the wiff is on the Gixxer 1000.

--Wag--

Sounds like fun Lou
biggrin.gif
just figure out the mileage and divide it by the number of
days...might want to throw in a whole day for rest every 3 or 4 days of riding
wink.gif

Come through Moline Illinois on the way to the land of cheese (Were right on I-80) and ill have the grill fired up for ya! Hell I might even ride for a while with you guys!

My Girfriend and I rode my big Harley from Indianapolis to Bullhead City, AZ and back the first 2 weeks of July. We came right through your town on the way out. She is a member of AAA and we had them do one their "Trip Planners" for us. They are flip maps that will fit in that clear section of your tank bag and are fantastic! We did a lot of old Rte 66 on the way out and snaked our way through AZ and Utah up to I-70 on the way back. You need a goal on the east coast, meaning where do you want to start your seaboard tour? Plan your trip out with that in mind. I will offer this up for you. If you end up coming through Indianapolis, I would be enjoy meeting up with you and the offer of steaks on the grill is there as well. You don't want to do much more than 500 miles per day. We did 700 plus mile days on the Harley with highway pegs and cruise control and that was still killer. I did 869 miles on the Busa in 2 days and that wiped me out. I did change the seats to Corbins after that ride. I would also reccomend buying a couple pairs of bicycle shorts for each of you. Get the ones with the most padding. They can be worn under your other pants and are pretty comfortable. I would give yourself a min of 3 weeks and remember, it is a lot colder along the east coast then what you see in New Mexico so pack accordingly.

We did the ride from SoCA to here last month and it went pretty well. It's made us optimistic for this kind of a ride.

The next to the last day, we rode from Camp Verde, AZ to Magdalena, NM which is nearly 400 miles. We were doing okay after that but definitely ready to hit the sack. That approximately matched our first day of travel from Yucaipa, CA to Flagstaff, AZ. Between the two, we did a mere 60 miles from Flagstaff to Camp Verde. A much-needed in-between rest.

We'll make some route picks based on your input above and try to visit some of y'all!

--Wag--

Hey, isn't that map still available where everyone pinned their where-a-bouts?.. oh man.. now I gotta search.

I did, Dallas to Daytona to Atlanta to Memphis to Albuquerque to Irvine to Yuma to Albuquerque to Dallas in 4 weeks. I spent a week in Daytona for bike week, and a week in Irvine Ca visiting, the rest was riding and only 2 to 3 day stops with friends or family. Was all solo on my Old Vulcan 1500, so with two of you it should be no problem and a lot more fun. Just be ready for lots of rain!!

I did, Dallas to Daytona to Atlanta to Memphis to Albuquerque to Irvine to Yuma to Albuquerque to Dallas in 4 weeks. I spent a week in Daytona for bike week, and a week in Irvine Ca visiting, the rest was riding and only 2 to 3 day stops with friends or family. Was all solo on my Old Vulcan 1500, so with two of you it should be no problem and a lot more fun. Just be ready for lots of rain!!
Hey, Warwgn, when we gonna get you out here to visit?!

--Wag--

I would make sure you both are in shape for the trip. Can you both do 300 t 400 mile days without too much trouble? I hope you have a wonderful trip. Be careful.

Hey, Warwgn, when we gonna get you out here to visit?!

--Wag--
been working a lot, and I am headin up to pagosa springs this weekend, so guess it will be next month sometime. How you coming on getting some dirtbikes?

We did the ride from SoCA to here last month and it went pretty well.  It's made us optimistic for this kind of a ride.  

The next to the last day, we rode from Camp Verde, AZ to Magdalena, NM which is nearly 400 miles.  We were doing okay after that but definitely ready to hit the sack.  That approximately matched our first day of travel from Yucaipa, CA to Flagstaff, AZ.  Between the two, we did a mere 60 miles from Flagstaff to Camp Verde.  A much-needed in-between rest.

We'll make some route picks based on your input above and try to visit some of y'all!

--Wag--
If you do decide to come through Indy, PM me and I will give you my cell number and as long as I am in town, the steaks will be on my grill for you both!

Sounds like fun Lou
biggrin.gif
just figure out the mileage and divide it by the number of
days...might want to throw in a whole day for rest every 3 or 4 days of riding
wink.gif
excellent idea! I have done this on a couple of long trips and it is fantasic to chill for a day.

Just rest, relax, drink and have a nice dinner.

hogger...

Thanks for all the generous offers of steaks. That's about my favorite thing to do is fire up the grill. I never can decide if I like the steaks better or the Brats better.
biggrin.gif
You can bet that if we're anywhere near ya, we'll be stopping by!

Still trying to find my atlas. Better visibility for trip planning.

--Wag--

Have fun Louis! I know I will. Myself, 1 budy from Seatlle & 1 from Kona are off on 2 week scoot to Glacier then Grand Canyon and everything in between! All on Hardley Ablesons. See ya out there!!!
cool.gif

Oh, I got Brats too! Love dem things! Especially cooked on the grill!

Back