Think my hi-beam is burnt out....

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Had used my Hi-beam Sat for a vehicle inspection before the Holidays begin and worked fine. Went to hit tonight and not working. The blue dash indicator comes on, but the low beam stays lit. I pulled the fuse, its good. Pulled the bulb and the filament looks good, but there is a slight discoloration inside the bulb, similar to would be if the bulb burnt-out, but not so extreme, just a little.

Since this is my first light issue thought I would ask before running out to get a new Sylvania Silver to replace it. I guess it tripped me out the dash hi-beam indicator will light up even the hi-beam is not on.

Charlie

Put a mutimeter on the plug and see if it's got voltage. If the bulb is discolored then it's probaly done.

Use the same meter set on Ohms. Place one lead on each side of the removed bulb ( - & + ) and see if it has resistance or is open. If no resistance, get a new one. Sounds blown dude.
all_coholic.gif

If it is a Sylvania Silver Star, it is probably burnt out. I never had any luck with those bulbs lasting more than two or three months.
guns.gif

Dang it, I pulled the bulb and didnt even think of checking resistance in it. Stupid me. Guess I'll pull it again.

So its normal for the low beam to stay on, and the indicator to light up with a burnt bulb? Cool. I'm used to the Camaro, when high beams out, and you turn them on, no light at all!

Thanks for the multimeter reminder. Went out to the tool shed, grabbed the MM, looked down and grabbed a leftover bulb I had from ex's Pontiac Grand Am or Cherokee cant recall. Same bulb, so tested both, sure enough my bulb was shot, tested the spare, good. Installed and working again. Thanks for the K.I.S.S. reminder.

Charlie

Back