Think I'm missing a step on painting...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so since the Busa is sleeping while her Plastics get painted I've been a busy lil body. I took a mirror today, sanded 320, 400, 600, 800, 800wet, 1000wet. Dried, cleaned, and hung it out for painting. Shot a few coats of Duplicolor gloss black on it, no booth, just hanging outside. Once it dried I seen there was some rough/dry spots and some dust. So, I hit it lightly with the 1000wet, smoothed out nicely. However, its no longer shiny
sad.gif
I'm thinking I need to use a high speed buffer attachment on my dremel to get the bright glossy shine back, or is there something else? Thanks. Will be waiting to do the other mirror just in case I messed something up.

Charlie

You can clear coat it or use some rubbing compound to shine it up.

Rubbing compound....I couldn't remember that part for the life of me. Thanks BA. Well, guess I'll have to put that on my list to get along with everything else....

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 07 2007,16:02) You can clear coat it or use some rubbing compound to shine it up.
followed by polishing compound. Basically you need to makes the scratches from the 1000 grit smaller and smaller until the can't be seen. I usually go from 1000 grit to 1200 to 1500 to 2000 to 2500 before getting the compounds out.

Be careful, you can end up going all the way through the paint if you're not careful.

Or you could scuff the whole mirror with 800 grit and clear coat it.

I ussually make a little paint booth tent out of Blue tarp material {in the sun it will get nice and warm} and hang a drop light in there for illumination, and it works great, but be carefull on windy days you may find your fairing and booth in the neighbors yard
wow.gif

But anyway I agree, 1200 wet to 2000 we depending how thick the paint is on there and how bad the dust is, but after that I slow hand buff it with high cut compound and then pollishing compound.

If its not to bad alot of the time some high cut and polishing compound will do the trick, I ussually only wet sand if theres orange peal, runs, or severe surface roughness... {plus when prepping I have an electric DA {dual action} sander that gets the body ready fast and uniform..
Good luck

oh wait one more tip, I have a local paint shop here that will mix you base coat clear coat and put it in charged canisters that spray like a real HVLP {high volume low psi} paint gun, and they work awesome, plus you can clear over your decals....
But OK sorry for the long reply good luck again....
beerchug.gif

If your sanding to 1000 before painting, your wasting your time. Usually anything above 600 grit is risking the paint not sticking properly. If your buffing something, work your way up to 2000. Then buff it.

My top secret painting tips.............................

Scroll down....................................................

Pay a body shop to do it!

Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it. I'll get me some compound, more paper and post up when I'm done. I love this board!

Duplicolor is a spray can, right? Paint from a spray can is usually pretty thin so be careful sanding and buffing. I wonder how non catalyzed paint will respond to buffing/polishing anyway? I'd probably sand it and spray it again, or use the clear as mentioned. Be sure to follow the directions for recoat times. Either way you go it isn't a big deal to sand it all off and start over anyway. Have fun!

(Dennis @ Jan. 07 2007,20:18) Duplicolor is a spray can, right? Paint from a spray can is usually pretty thin so be careful sanding and buffing. I wonder how non catalyzed paint will respond to buffing/polishing anyway? I'd probably sand it and spray it again, or use the clear as mentioned. Be sure to follow the directions for recoat times. Either way you go it isn't a big deal to sand it all off and start over anyway. Have fun!
Yep its from the spray can. Not sure how it will do, but I did a test, rubbing by hand a little bit and looks favorable. I used nearly the entire can on one mirror (small cans), about 7coats roughly. Guess this w/e when its Busa upgrade/maintenance time again I can finish it up.

(05BusaLe @ Jan. 07 2007,22:23) My top secret painting tips.............................

Scroll down....................................................

Pay a body shop to do it!
laugh.gif

cat send me a pm,i kno all about painting,specially abs plastic.

Sanding the plastic mirror is not needed at all (unless you are removing any scratches...)
What you need to do is to wash the mirror in some laquer thinner,then you need to spray 3 coats of Bulldog (adhesion promoter) then paint,then clearcoat.

Back